Topics

Bimini detail

Mike Ondra

We are about to have a new Bimini made and would like to incorporate into it a zip open panel above the Helmsman’s seat so he can stand and poke his head above the Bimini for better visibility during close in maneuvering. Has anyone tried this and found a successful detail to maintain waterproofness at the zipper?
Mike Ondra
Aletes SM 240

karkauai

Mike,
After considering a plan similar to yours, we just replaced the old cockpit enclosure with a semi-permanent fabric Bimini-like top raised a few inches above the dodger. It’s attached to the dodger and to the forward mizzen shrouds. It has two large windows to see sail trim, houses two large flexible solar panels, and is high enough that I can see all the way around standing up straight. The side and aft panels make a very dry and warm cockpit. We spent two days hove-to in 35kts with gusts to 45 and the new enclosure held up great and kept us nice and dry.

It’s been a total game-changer for me, being able to stand up and see all around...even when it’s raining cats and dogs.

Craig and Katherine on Sangaris (SN) did something similar, but theirs stops a bit farther aft and allows them to step into the cockpit without bending over.

I’d be happy to send you some pics of mine (or post them) if you’d like.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Jul 31, 2019, at 10:41 PM, Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

We are about to have a new Bimini made and would like to incorporate into it a zip open panel above the Helmsman’s seat so he can stand and poke his head above the Bimini for better visibility during close in maneuvering. Has anyone tried this and found a successful detail to maintain waterproofness at the zipper?
Mike Ondra
Aletes SM 240

James Cromie

Kent - yes!  Please post photos.  I am also seeking a new design for replacing our bimini. 

Best,
James

On Jul 31, 2019 23:26, "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Mike,
After considering a plan similar to yours, we just replaced the old cockpit enclosure with a semi-permanent fabric Bimini-like top raised a few inches above the dodger.  It’s attached to the dodger and to the forward mizzen shrouds.  It has two large windows to see sail trim, houses two large flexible solar panels, and is high enough that I can see all the way around standing up straight.  The side and aft panels make a very dry and warm cockpit. We spent two days hove-to in 35kts with gusts to 45 and the new enclosure held up great and kept us nice and dry.

It’s been a total game-changer for me, being able to stand up and see all around...even when it’s raining cats and dogs.

Craig and Katherine on Sangaris (SN) did something similar, but theirs stops a bit farther aft and allows them to step into the cockpit without bending over.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...

On Jul 31, 2019, at 10:41 PM, Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra@...> wrote:

Mike Ondra
Aletes SM 240

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg

Here is the solution on Lady Annila

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Hälsningar/Regards

Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

1 aug. 2019 kl. 04:35 skrev James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie@...>:

Kent - yes!  Please post photos.  I am also seeking a new design for replacing our bimini. 

Best,
James

Mike,
After considering a plan similar to yours, we just replaced the old cockpit enclosure with a semi-permanent fabric Bimini-like top raised a few inches above the dodger.  It’s attached to the dodger and to the forward mizzen shrouds.  It has two large windows to see sail trim, houses two large flexible solar panels, and is high enough that I can see all the way around standing up straight.  The side and aft panels make a very dry and warm cockpit. We spent two days hove-to in 35kts with gusts to 45 and the new enclosure held up great and kept us nice and dry.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...

Mike Ondra
Aletes SM 240

Paul Osterberg

Mike
we have donned  that search Kerpa in the photo section, we have had it for three years now and still very happy with it. It was a great improvement towards the original.
Paul SY Kerpa SM 259

Mark Erdos

Did you install a hardtop?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg
Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 2:07 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bimini detail

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Hälsningar/Regards

Ann-Sofie

Skickat från min iPhone

Best,

James

Mike,

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...

Mike Ondra
Aletes SM 240

James Cromie

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you search for your “Kerpa” photos?   I do not see a search option when opening the photos page.
Thank you.
-James

On Aug 1, 2019, at 7:53 AM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Mike
we have donned  that search Kerpa in the photo section, we have had it for three years now and still very happy with it. It was a great improvement towards the original.
Paul SY Kerpa SM 259

Eamonn Washington

Hi

My wife complained that I was developing a stoop standing at the helm trying to see around in our SM.  Then I saw what Ian and Judy did in their SM 2000 Pen Azen, which had a single large vinyl curved window with one zip at the front.  I copied the SM2000 measurements for lengthening the 3 stainless steel canvas support bars, repositioned the lower one, then had canvas made to measure coping their design.  It is fantastic, even with it closed you can see the sails.  However our zip does leak in heavy downpours, despite a small canvas flap outside to protect the zip from UV.  

I went one step further, and had a row of velcro stitched above and below the vinyl, so I could put up sun block panels with the vinyl rolled down (3 straps to hold it together) or when the vinyl is closed.  Buy good quality vinyl, like Stratiglass 40.

--
Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy.

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg

Asking me? Yes we did. Doesn’t regrett it at all. Keeps the cockpit a bit cooler (and warmer in cold climate) as it is a sandwich construction. Perfect spot for solar panels. Not really satisfied with the design, as this is the prototype that was ment to be replaced.  But it had been in place since 2010 now. Wonder when/if it will ever be re-designed 🥴

Hälsningar
Ann-Sofie Svanberg

Skickat från min iPhone

1 aug. 2019 kl. 21:22 skrev Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...>:

Did you install a hardtop?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg
Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 2:07 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bimini detail

<image001.jpg>

<image002.jpg>

Hälsningar/Regards

Ann-Sofie

Skickat från min iPhone

Best,

James

Mike,

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...

Mike Ondra
Aletes SM 240

karkauai

Hi Mark,
No hard top on Kristy.  I’ll post pics this afternoon.
Kent
SM 243 Kristy

James,

You do not search for Kerpa photos.

In the past some members named photos or albums names that had nothing to do with the photos.

Two of our members accomplished the enormous task of renaming photos to match the contents of the photos. Thanks to Gary Silver and Andrew Lamb...both MDs, both SM owners, and each with amazing other abilities. Thanks again!

If you search on "Bimini" and "Cockpit" I am sure you will get what you are looking for. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 7:33 PM James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you search for your “Kerpa” photos?   I do not see a search option when opening the photos page.
Thank you.
-James
On Aug 1, 2019, at 7:53 AM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Mike
Paul SY Kerpa SM 259

JOSE PRIETO

Hi Paul!

I'm looking for a Bimini exactly like you did.
Could you tell me where did you made it?
If you have more details, I'll appreciate.

Jose Prieto
SY Wayag SM323

Thomas Kleman

Kirstin just completed our new bimini- she kept the frame bars the same length but moved the forward bar 4 inches higher in the channel. The result is a zip down window (40 gauge stratoglass) above the dodger that allows airflow to both sides of the cockpit, and great forward standing visibility. It's made of Sunbrella SeaMark, a two ply leakproof fabric.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422