Topics

Bimini detail

Mike Ondra

We are about to have a new Bimini made and would like to incorporate into it a zip open panel above the Helmsman’s seat so he can stand and poke his head above the Bimini for better visibility during close in maneuvering. Has anyone tried this and found a successful detail to maintain waterproofness at the zipper?
Mike Ondra
Aletes SM 240

karkauai

Mike,
After considering a plan similar to yours, we just replaced the old cockpit enclosure with a semi-permanent fabric Bimini-like top raised a few inches above the dodger. It’s attached to the dodger and to the forward mizzen shrouds. It has two large windows to see sail trim, houses two large flexible solar panels, and is high enough that I can see all the way around standing up straight. The side and aft panels make a very dry and warm cockpit. We spent two days hove-to in 35kts with gusts to 45 and the new enclosure held up great and kept us nice and dry.

It’s been a total game-changer for me, being able to stand up and see all around...even when it’s raining cats and dogs.

Craig and Katherine on Sangaris (SN) did something similar, but theirs stops a bit farther aft and allows them to step into the cockpit without bending over.

I’d be happy to send you some pics of mine (or post them) if you’d like.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Jul 31, 2019, at 10:41 PM, Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

We are about to have a new Bimini made and would like to incorporate into it a zip open panel above the Helmsman’s seat so he can stand and poke his head above the Bimini for better visibility during close in maneuvering. Has anyone tried this and found a successful detail to maintain waterproofness at the zipper?
Mike Ondra
Aletes SM 240

James Cromie

Kent - yes!  Please post photos.  I am also seeking a new design for replacing our bimini.

Best,
James

On Jul 31, 2019, at 10:41 PM, Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra@...> wrote:

We are about to have a new Bimini made and would like to incorporate into it a zip open panel above the Helmsman’s seat so he can stand and poke his head above the Bimini for better visibility during close in maneuvering. Has anyone tried this and found a successful detail to maintain waterproofness at the zipper?
Mike Ondra
Aletes SM 240

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg

Here is the solution on Lady Annila

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Hälsningar/Regards

Ann-Sofie
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

1 aug. 2019 kl. 04:35 skrev James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie@...>:

[...]

Paul Osterberg

Mike
we have donned  that search Kerpa in the photo section, we have had it for three years now and still very happy with it. It was a great improvement towards the original.
Paul SY Kerpa SM 259

Mark Erdos

Did you install a hardtop?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us