Haul out preparation - use of a dehumidifier

Lucy Pearce sv Starfish

Hi
We are going to haul out our Super Maramu 2000 for 3-4 months in Greneda.

We have been advised to use a dehumidifier to prevent mould/mildew because the boat will be watertight with no ventilation.

Is it alright to let the dehumidifier drain into the bilge pump and leave the power on to let the bilge pump run for 3 months?

Is there a better solution?

Thanks in advance
Lucy

Lucy,

This is your first posting. Please add your model and hull number to your future postings, (example STARFISH SM 387)

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019, 9:59 PM Starfish via Groups.Io <lucyannepearce=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi
We are going to haul out our Super Maramu 2000 for 3-4 months in Greneda.

We have been advised to use a dehumidifier to prevent mould/mildew because the boat will be watertight with no ventilation.

Is it alright to let the dehumidifier drain into the bilge pump and leave the power on to let the bilge pump run for 3 months?

Is there a better solution?

Thanks in advance
Lucy

Matt Salatino

Set the dehumidifier on the galley counter. Drain it into the galley sink. Does the galley sink drain overboard, or into a grey water tank? If overboard, no problem. If into a tank, then you’ll need to accommodate a pump.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 5, 2019, at 9:56 PM, Starfish via Groups.Io <lucyannepearce@...> wrote:

Hi
We are going to haul out our Super Maramu 2000 for 3-4 months in Greneda.

We have been advised to use a dehumidifier to prevent mould/mildew because the boat will be watertight with no ventilation.

Is it alright to let the dehumidifier drain into the bilge pump and leave the power on to let the bilge pump run for 3 months?

Is there a better solution?

Thanks in advance
Lucy

Leopold Hauer

Hi Lucy

An easy solution is to pull out the deep sensor and drain through this hole.

Leopold

YinYang SM 69  Samoa

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 06.08.2019 um 14:56 schrieb Starfish via Groups.Io <lucyannepearce@...>:

Hi
We are going to haul out our Super Maramu 2000 for 3-4 months in Greneda.

We have been advised to use a dehumidifier to prevent mould/mildew because the boat will be watertight with no ventilation.

Is it alright to let the dehumidifier drain into the bilge pump and leave the power on to let the bilge pump run for 3 months?

Is there a better solution?

Thanks in advance
Lucy

Heinz Stutenbaeumer

Hallo
I took my deep sounder out. So you do not have to run the bilge pump.
Fare winds
Heinz, quetzal, sm2000, 292

Am 06.08.2019 um 03:56 schrieb Starfish via Groups.Io <lucyannepearce@...>:

Hi
We are going to haul out our Super Maramu 2000 for 3-4 months in Greneda.

We have been advised to use a dehumidifier to prevent mould/mildew because the boat will be watertight with no ventilation.

Is it alright to let the dehumidifier drain into the bilge pump and leave the power on to let the bilge pump run for 3 months?

Is there a better solution?

Thanks in advance
Lucy

Herbert Lackner

Hi Lucy,

it is better if you take out the depth-sensor and run a hose from the dehumidifier through the hull. I would not recommend draining to the bilge if nobody will check the bilge for such a long time.

herbert
SN120 KALI MERA, Mazatlan Mexico.

Craig Briggs

Marina Seca in San Carlos, Mexico has some great storage tips for all their customers, including being sure seal all open through hulls with something like bronze wool to keep the bugs and vermin out while allowing any water to weep out. So if you run the dehumidified drain tube through the depth sounder hole, be sure to wrap it snugly.
Craig SN68

Theo s/v Paloma

I used cat litter with great success when I was leaving my ex-Lagoon 450 in New Zealand off season. I bought several aluminum disposable cooking pans, filled them with cat litter and placed them in each room.

I also opened every drawer and cabinet so that it airs. All hatches and doors were closed and locked.

Theo
s/v Paloma
Amel 50 #18

Matt Salatino

Although not available everywhere, we’ve used paraformaldehyde crystals. Learned about them from a Canadian friend, when we were in Trinidad.
In US, brands are Sun-Pac, Mildew-zone. There are others.
Exudes a poison gas. Not only prevents mold, but kills any existing mold, insects, vermin. Bugs and rodents will not come in the boat.
When you return, just open the boat and air it out for a few minutes.
We kept the boat sealed up, storing in Guatemala for a few off-seasons.