Topics

Recommendations for winter on the hard in S. Italy or Greece

Theo s/v Paloma

Hi everyone,

We're really enjoying our Amel 50 in the Balearic islands. It's such a luxury to have a floating home by beautiful beaches and crystal clear seas. Our initial goal was to reach Turkey on the first Med season, but there's so much to see and we're moving too slow.

So now, for the winter we're planning to leave our boat, on the hard, in S Italy or Western/Mid Greece. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good yard to leave our Paloma?

Thank you in advance.

Theo.
s/v Paloma
Amel 50 #18

Theo,

I really like Manoel Island Yacht Yard in Malta, which is about 50 miles south of Sicily. It is one of 2 yards that I recommend...the other is Carenantilles in Martinique in the caribbean.

There are many advantages at Manoel Island including: security, great value, excellent craftsmen and many specialty shops like woodworking, metal, safety, etc. You will not regret it.

Contact: Andrew Wilson <AWilson@...>
General Email: info@... Phone: (+356) 2133 4453/4

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 9:08 AM Theo s/v Paloma <sailingpaloma1@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We're really enjoying our Amel 50 in the Balearic islands. It's such a luxury to have a floating home by beautiful beaches and crystal clear seas. Our initial goal was to reach Turkey on the first Med season, but there's so much to see and we're moving too slow.

So now, for the winter we're planning to leave our boat, on the hard, in S Italy or Western/Mid Greece. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good yard to leave our Paloma?

Thank you in advance.

Theo.
s/v Paloma
Amel 50 #18

Paul Brown

Hi Theo, I can recommend Capo de Orlando or marina Di Ragusa north and south Sicily

Regards Paul - Fortuna II 55#17

On 17 Aug 2019, at 4:08 pm, Theo s/v Paloma <sailingpaloma1@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

We're really enjoying our Amel 50 in the Balearic islands. It's such a luxury to have a floating home by beautiful beaches and crystal clear seas. Our initial goal was to reach Turkey on the first Med season, but there's so much to see and we're moving too slow.

So now, for the winter we're planning to leave our boat, on the hard, in S Italy or Western/Mid Greece. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good yard to leave our Paloma?

Thank you in advance.

Theo.
s/v Paloma
Amel 50 #18

tony wells

Hi Theo

We’ve acted on Bill’s recommendation to lift out in Malta this winter.

We’ve been in Preveza, Greece for 2 winters (latterly with the Amel). We were in Cleopatra Marina which is highly organised but in my experience can be a little ‘officious’ about who works on your boat. You may find Ionion (sic) Marina next door is a little more relaxed. In my opinion, they’re both good value at approx €3k. Aktio is the third Marina there - reputedly more relaxed in every way. The Greek tepai tax won’t be payable while you’re ashore (but you’ll pay for a month at c€100 on entry no matter if it’s just a few days before lift, plus an annual Dekpa at €50)

Malta is a little more expensive at circa €4K but I’m seeking a better choice of consistent quality in engineering, electronic and rigging skills for several winter projects. And direct winter flights are helpful.

We had an offer from Marina di Ragusa at €2,700 and would probably like to spend a winter afloat there in the future.

There are plenty of Amel owners who’ve experienced all of the above and will have great first hand knowledge.

Wishing you well with your decision making and I suggest you might want to move very quickly - certainly the Greek marinas may tell you’re they’re largely booked (I’m at Kalamata right now, which could be an excellent choice but my neighbours just told me there’s currently no winter space - but things are often ‘fluid’ in this part of the world). If you end up in Preveza please ask me for engineer recommendations - I’ve good and bad experiences to share privately if that’s helpful.

Best,

Tony Wells
A54 #102 Balthazar
Kalamata, Southern Peloponnese, Greece

On 17 Aug 2019, at 17:08, Theo s/v Paloma <sailingpaloma1@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

We're really enjoying our Amel 50 in the Balearic islands. It's such a luxury to have a floating home by beautiful beaches and crystal clear seas. Our initial goal was to reach Turkey on the first Med season, but there's so much to see and we're moving too slow.

So now, for the winter we're planning to leave our boat, on the hard, in S Italy or Western/Mid Greece. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good yard to leave our Paloma?

Thank you in advance.

Theo.
s/v Paloma
Amel 50 #18

Matt Salatino

Out of curiosity, does the marina require the entire seasonal payment up front, or along the way?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 17, 2019, at 7:53 AM, tony wells via Groups.Io <tony.wells@...> wrote:

[...]

Jose Alegria

10/100 reserve
50/100 when you leave the boat
40/100 when you put the boat on the water.
See me reasonable

Resposta simplificada enviada
do meu iPhone
Jose Alegria
918663037

Josealegr@...

No dia 17/08/2019, às 19:40, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> escreveu:

Matt

Matt, it is not clear which marina or which person your question is directed to, but the simple answer is each marina has its own rules. Marina di Ragusa mentioned earlier has a low price for the winter season which requires advance reservations and advance payment, although I know they made some concessions in the past. Marina di Ragusa is perfect for in-the-water, but I would NOT recommend it for hard stand.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 11:40 AM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Matt

In my experience, the Preveza (Greece) marinas have required a deposit of 10% up front (ie on reservation) and then the lift out and scrub payment has been charged on lift, with the balance invoiced and paid just prior to the launch ie on departure.

Manoel Island, Malta, with whom Bill R has negotiated Yacht School client discounts, has not requested a deposit to confirm the reservation.

On 17 Aug 2019, at 19:40, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

[...]

Which marina?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 17, 2019, at 10:02 AM, Jose Alegria <Josealegr@...> wrote:

10/100 reserve
50/100 when you leave the boat
40/100 when you put the boat on the water.
See me reasonable

Resposta simplificada enviada
do meu iPhone
Jose Alegria
918663037

Josealegr@...

No dia 17/08/2019, às 19:40, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> escreveu:

Matt

Matt Salatino

Thanks, Bill,
I meant the question, generically, but appreciate the detailed answers.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 17, 2019, at 11:35 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Joerg Esdorn

To reinforce what Bill is saying:  don’t go to the shipyard in Marina di Ragusa. It’s the worst experience I’ve had in decades.   And I would go further.  If you want any work done on your boat, don’t go to Marina di Ragusa because the marina prohibits all work being done on your boat - including by yourself - unless it’s done by the incompetent people of the shipyard.

Joerg Esdorn

I would highly recommend Basimakopoulos shipyard in Kilada on Peloponnes.  Competent, nice people doing work at a reasonable price.  And the location is very safe from freak winds and thieves.

Gerhard Mueller

I have been for 6 years in Monastir, Tunisia.
There are 2 shipyards: One in the marina with a travellift of 20 tons and another in the fishers port (Port de Peches) with a larger travellift.
If you are able to tell them exactly what you want they do it very well or you do it yourself (no problem at all).
But the biggest advantage over any other place in the mediterranian are the unbeatable prices. A berth floating or on the hard more than 3-times cheaper than anywhere else.
Diesel fuel 3-times cheaper, alcoholics (beer, wine) nearly some prices than in Europe but food and restaurants very cheap. Best place for fish and other sea food.
The Marina Monastir is camera controlled. Boats may stay without problems for 2 years (after 2 years leave Tunisia for a short trip to e.g. Pantelleria and come back for next 2 years).
Port de Peches: http://www.le-dauphin-bleu.com/
Marina: http://www.marinamonastir.tn/
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Paul Brown

I berthed at Monastir Marina this year for two months and found it to be very good, safe and happy service, yes unbeatable prices. The fuel is good and the labour is good but I would recommend close supervision including watching over your materials if you use them

Regards Paul - Fortuna 55#17

On 18 Aug 2019, at 9:50 am, Gerhard Mueller via Groups.Io <carcode@...> wrote:

[...]

Massimo Vecchietti

...Marina Cala del Sole  in Licata South Sicily...
Max
SM PATCHOULI

Il Sab 17 Ago 2019, 15:08 Theo s/v Paloma <sailingpaloma1@...> ha scritto:
Hi everyone,

We're really enjoying our Amel 50 in the Balearic islands. It's such a luxury to have a floating home by beautiful beaches and crystal clear seas. Our initial goal was to reach Turkey on the first Med season, but there's so much to see and we're moving too slow.

So now, for the winter we're planning to leave our boat, on the hard, in S Italy or Western/Mid Greece. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good yard to leave our Paloma?

Thank you in advance.

Theo.
s/v Paloma
Amel 50 #18

Mark Pitt

Hi,

We loved our year long stay at the Sifredi Marina on the charming island of Carloforte, off the southwest corner of Sardinia.  There were four Amel’s there when we left in 2017.  It does not have extensive marine facilities but it has all the basics.  Giuseppe and Carmela who run the marina are very caring and friendly.  We loved the full year that we were based there.  Plus, it was a bargain.

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM419, Rockland Maine

On Aug 18, 2019, at 12:21 PM, Massimo Vecchietti <massimovecchietti@...> wrote:

...Marina Cala del Sole  in Licata South Sicily...
Max
SM PATCHOULI

Il Sab 17 Ago 2019, 15:08 Theo s/v Paloma <sailingpaloma1@...> ha scritto:
Hi everyone,

We're really enjoying our Amel 50 in the Balearic islands. It's such a luxury to have a floating home by beautiful beaches and crystal clear seas. Our initial goal was to reach Turkey on the first Med season, but there's so much to see and we're moving too slow.

So now, for the winter we're planning to leave our boat, on the hard, in S Italy or Western/Mid Greece. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good yard to leave our Paloma?

Thank you in advance.

Theo.
s/v Paloma
Amel 50 #18

Ian Townsend

Mark, can we talk via PM? I'm interested in your experience with the Schengen rules.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
US East Coast

On Aug 18, 2019, at 4:00 PM, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Ian and Margaret,

  Sure.  My email is Mark_Pitt at brown.edu.

  Mark

On Aug 18, 2019, at 4:24 PM, Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi all,

Thank you for the recommensations. I need to make a decision...

Theo.
s/v Paloma
Amel 50 #18.