Parasailor for Mango

Ian Bone

I was wondering if anyone had had any experience with a parasailor sail for a Mango?
Ian Bone
"Opalescence" (recently renamed (formerly Karma) and re-registered under an Australian Flag)
Hull 63

Barry Connor

Hi Ian,

I am also wanting to hear from any Amel 54 or other Amel owners of experience with a Parasailor.
I am currently talking to Parasailor French distributor who is advising to get a bow sprit extension. I can see how this extension would keep the lines free of the front side rails.
When using the Parasailor do you need to use the back stays?
Does the boat balance or do you need the Mizzen sail?
Anyone who might have experience would like to hear from you.

Best

Barry and Penny
“Lady Penrlope II”
AMEL 54. #17
Antibes, France

On Aug 18, 2019, at 16:10, Ian Bone <auscaptain@...> wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had had any experience with a parasailor sail for a Mango?
Ian Bone
"Opalescence" (recently renamed (formerly Karma) and re-registered under an Australian Flag)
Hull 63

Joerg Esdorn

Hi Barry, there have been several Parasailor threads recently.  Please check out my posts on using the Parasailor with the "Tacker".  If you do, you won't need a bow sprit.  I don't find I need a bow sprit on the 55 even with the "standard" setup with 2 sheets and 2 guys.  I run the guys over rings attached to a shackle on the anchor fitting forward of the forestay.   I talked to a Swiss 55 owner before I ordered my Parasailor  who had initially gotten a bow sprit and ended up not needing it.  I believe your bow setup is identical to that on the 55.  So I would recommend not getting one, at least initially.  The boat sails fine with or without mizzen but you gain additional speed with the mizzen unless you're below 160 degrees AWA, when the mizzen will partially blanket the Parasailor.  It's not necessary to deploy the running backstays for the Parasailor.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53
Kincsem
Currently parked in Almerimar

Barry Connor

Hi Joerg,

Thank's for your info on the Parasailor.
I have attached a photo of my bowsprit. I would not have the light weight sail up when using the Parasailor. My thought is that if the Parasailor was straight ahead I would not have any issues with the lines but if the Parasailor was Port or Starboard then the lines coming in to the bowsprit would be touching my side rails at the bow.
I am looking at a 55 on the next dock and I think your bowsprit extends out further than mine.
I would like to hear from any 54's who have a Parasailor and how they get it to work?

Currently having my 14 year old Dessalator membranes replaced by the Antibes Desolator technician. Very helpful folk. My Dessalaotor control board blew and as it is no longer available they sent it to The Netherlands for repair. I am really putting in a plug to Nicholas the son of the Dessalator founder to accept "credit cards".

Best

Barry and Penny
"Lady Penelope II"
Amel. 54  #17
Antibes France

On Sunday, August 18, 2019, 11:56:15 PM GMT+2, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

[...]

Dear Joerg,

I now understand how the Parasailor can work on my Amel 54 without the bowsprit extension.

You only use 2 lines when the Parasailor is Port or Starboard of the bow. Therefore the lines that I thought would be up against the bow side rails are always slack and not putting pressure on the side rails.

Thanks again for your and Paul Brown's help with this issue.

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"Lady Penelope II"
Amel. 54. #17