Topics

AMFA bilge pump rebuild kit

Herbert Lackner

Hi Amelians,

I know that has been already a topic...    I need to replace the "flaps" of the AMFA bilge pump (see foto) .  Does anyone know a source where I can order these (in Europe)?  Does anyone have a web-link to buy it?

thx, Herbert

KALI MERA, SN120, Mazatlan

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello Herbert,

I needed to replace my flap valves as well but did not have any spares.
I found out you dont need any kit.
I used an truck tire tube, thickness similar to the flaps.
Take the old ones as template.
Cut yourself new ones.
Mine last now more than a year without problems.
Or you go to a rubber store and get a sheet of similar rubber.
I guess the tube is good choice because its soft and elastic.

Waves

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54#39
Portugal

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

From: "Mike Johnson via Groups.Io"
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
CC:

--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Wolfgang Weber

Hi to the group,
I bought a spare Pump and rubber kit 3 months ago.
Try www.vdm-reya.com  .service kit9 is REF 219424
Greetings Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54 #162 in the way to Boston

Sv Garulfo

Hi Oliver and all,

On the same subject, can you confirm this gearbox clutch is broken beyond repair?

Oliver,

Do you remember the details of the Bosch wipers motor you used?

Thanks
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Ua Pou, Marquesas, French Polynesia

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 06:00, Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi to the group,
I bought a spare Pump and rubber kit 3 months ago.
Try www.vdm-reya.com  .service kit9 is REF 219424
Greetings Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54 #162 in the way to Boston

Several places had the gear. Sav at Amel had the white plastic gear and Emek Marine in Turkey. Have you tried those?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019, 6:05 PM Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:
Hi Oliver and all,

On the same subject, can you confirm this gearbox clutch is broken beyond repair?

Oliver,

Do you remember the details of the Bosch wipers motor you used?

Thanks
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Ua Pou, Marquesas, French Polynesia

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 06:00, Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi to the group,
I bought a spare Pump and rubber kit 3 months ago.
Try www.vdm-reya.com  .service kit9 is REF 219424
Greetings Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54 #162 in the way to Boston

Sv Garulfo

Thanks Bill,

I will try Amel.

In the diagram of the Marina ZZ pump I have, there is no details about the motor/gearbox components. Do you know if the white plastic gear is easy to replace without special tools/instructions?

Thanks
Regards

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Ua Pou, FP

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 at 15:03, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

Craig Briggs

Hi Thomas,
Definitely not broken beyond repair. If, as Bill suggests, you can get a new plastic gear that would be super.  If not, you can actually repair the old one quite easily - search for my old post on the subject, but basically, separate the outer toothed part from the inner ring, rotate the toothed part on reassembly so you've spanned all the inner breaks. Then drill holes in the valleys of the gear on each side of the breaks, thru the inner ring and put "pins" (finishing nails will do) thru the holes. You might wash it in mineral spirits first and add some glue to the brew. I did this repair on mine maybe 12 years ago or so and it its still going strong.
Cheers, Craig

Sv Garulfo

Thanks Craig,

I think i found it (at least another thread where you quoted it).
I will have a look to see what could be done.

Cheers
Thomas

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 at 04:17, Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Thomas,
Definitely not broken beyond repair. If, as Bill suggests, you can get a new plastic gear that would be super.  If not, you can actually repair the old one quite easily - search for my old post on the subject, but basically, separate the outer toothed part from the inner ring, rotate the toothed part on reassembly so you've spanned all the inner breaks. Then drill holes in the valleys of the gear on each side of the breaks, thru the inner ring and put "pins" (finishing nails will do) thru the holes. You might wash it in mineral spirits first and add some glue to the brew. I did this repair on mine maybe 12 years ago or so and it its still going strong.
Cheers, Craig

Sv Garulfo

hi Craig, all,

I’m pleased to report that I was able to implement Craig’s suggestions to repair the plastic/aluminium clutch gear of the Marina ZZ bilge pump gearbox.
Interestingly, it initially looked like a piece was missing, creating a gap, but the lack of debris and the matching break surfaces convinced me otherwise. I guess the plastic ring is tensioned over the aluminium.
So i elected to mate one side of the break and fill the gap with epoxy and a pin. I cut a new groove in the epoxy for the worm gear and luckily it aligns well, allowing the gears to run pretty smoothly.

Hopefully it’ll last 12+ years, but still have a replacement planned, available from Amel and also Emek.

Thanks again

Best,

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 at 12:16, Sv Garulfo via Groups.Io <svgarulfo=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Ah, the Zen of fixing your boat in exotic ports!