Topics

Engine Battery cable to starter motor to be replaced - looking for experience

Dominique Guenot

Hello, 

Thank you all for these answers and advices. 

The electrician tested for resistance the cables from engine batteries to starter motor.
The cables were fine (couple of ohms as expected) but the positive switch tested at 1300 Ohm and the negative switch at 80 Ohm.  
Completely out of whack and I am ordering them with Amel. 

We also discovered that we have a loose contact at the stater motor, that we were able to resolve only after we unmounted the starter motor - access is difficult - on the Yanmar. We rethreaded the starter motor screw. 

Finally we replaced the starter relay which was not working consistently and did some electrical housekeeping on the starter circuit. 

Why the switch failed?
Possibly the loose contact 
Possibly the fact that I never turn them on/off - as someone mentionned it in the thread - great insight. 

Measuring the resistance was new to me and I can do it with my own meter. It is easy and I got a crash course :-)

Thanks again for your help 
Dominique 
sv Viva 
SM #374
Papeete, French Polynesia  

Mark McGovern

Dominique,

I agree with what most of the others have said here.  It is highly unlikely that the cable itself is the problem.  It is way more likely to be a loose, corroded, or damaged termination on either the +12V or -12V cables going from the starting battery to the starter motor on your engine.  Check, clean, repair, re-install and apply Corrosion X (or your favorite corrosion inhibitor) on each termination on both + and - cables. 

Given that you say the starter battery is new, you should also check the voltage output on the 12V alternators on both the Yanmar and the Generator to make sure that they are working properly.  You should also check and clean all the terminations on the cables going from the alternators to the starter battery.

Last, get yourself a cheap battery tester like this one or similar:  https://www.amazon.com/BA7-100-1200-Electronic-Battery-System/dp/B0015PI7A4/ref=asc_df_B0015PI7A4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312280085431&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4260724397295291035&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007796&hvtargid=pla-499796143917&psc=1

Please let us know what you find and how you resolved the issue.  Good luck!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

eric freedman

Hi Dominique,

I would first check that the battery connector at the starter motor is clean.

I would also check The Valeo solenoid to see if it has clean connections both the battery cable and the small wire that goes to the engine block.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dominique Guenot
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:25 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Engine Battery cable to starter motor to be replaced - looking for experience

Hello, 

My engine battery was not able to start the Yanmar this morning.
I jumped start the engine successfully using the House battery bank 
The engine battery is 2 month old and charged.

A reputable electro-mechanic tested Volt and Amp during the start when you turn on the key with the engine battery:
- at battery level it is correct 
- at starter motor level there is a significant drop in Volt and Amp, (way more than expected when the starter kicks in) and cannot launch the starter motor. 
Therefore he recommends changing the cables which are "consuming Amp" and will eventually stop working.

I never thought that such big cables (35mm2) could degrade and/or stop working?
Is someone had similar problems? 
Any recommendation? 

Thanks
Dominique   
sv Viva 
SM #374

Arno Luijten

Check the voltage-drop across the battery switches. My switches showed significant voltage-drop at some point. Exercising them a number of times can rectify the problem.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

There is a single non-spliced cable from the battery switches for both positive and negative wires. There is a single start battery. 

It is not the wire, unless you have cut or damaged one and that is unlikely.

If the battery is good, don't you wonder why jumping the battery starts the engine? 

I would remove one battery from the house bank and replace the start battery. If the engine starts, maybe it's the start battery.

Also, you didn't mention the Onan. Does it start without the Yanmar running?  If it does, then it is probably not the start battery, but could be bad connections at the main switch, the switch itself, the battery, or at the starter. If the connections are suspected, clean them and treat with CorrosionX.

Get back to me after you have some answers. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019, 6:32 PM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Try starting.
Keep let turned for maybe 10 seconds.
Now carefully feel each battery cable termination. Better yet, if you have a no contact infra red thermometer, check each termination’s temperature, including connections at the battery and the starter. You’ll likely find one of them, maybe more, at a relatively high temperature. If so, you’ve found your culprit.
A fix might require cleaning a connection, or recrimping  a termination lug.
Good luck, and don’t burn yourself.....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 22, 2019, at 3:24 PM, Dominique Guenot <dominique_guenot@...> wrote:

Hello, 

A reputable electro-mechanic tested Volt and Amp during the start when you turn on the key with the engine battery:
- at starter motor level there is a significant drop in Volt and Amp, (way more than expected when the starter kicks in) and cannot launch the starter motor. 
Therefore he recommends changing the cables which are "consuming Amp" and will eventually stop working.

Any recommendation? 

Thanks
Dominique   
sv Viva 
SM #374

Matt Salatino

Try starting.
Keep let turned for maybe 10 seconds.
Now carefully feel each battery cable termination. Better yet, if you have a no contact infra red thermometer, check each termination’s temperature, including connections at the battery and the starter. You’ll likely find one of them, maybe more, at a relatively high temperature. If so, you’ve found your culprit.
A fix might require cleaning a connection, or recrimping  a termination lug.
Good luck, and don’t burn yourself.....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 22, 2019, at 3:24 PM, Dominique Guenot <dominique_guenot@...> wrote:

Hello, 

Any recommendation? 

Thanks
Dominique   
sv Viva 
SM #374

Dominique Guenot

Hello, 

Any recommendation? 

Thanks
Dominique   
sv Viva 
SM #374