Topics

Engine Battery cable to starter motor to be replaced - looking for experience

Dominique Guenot

Hello,

Thank you all for these answers and advices.

The electrician tested for resistance the cables from engine batteries to starter motor.
The cables were fine (couple of ohms as expected) but the positive switch tested at 1300 Ohm and the negative switch at 80 Ohm.
Completely out of whack and I am ordering them with Amel.

We also discovered that we have a loose contact at the stater motor, that we were able to resolve only after we unmounted the starter motor - access is difficult - on the Yanmar. We rethreaded the starter motor screw.

Finally we replaced the starter relay which was not working consistently and did some electrical housekeeping on the starter circuit.

Why the switch failed?
Possibly the loose contact
Possibly the fact that I never turn them on/off - as someone mentionned it in the thread - great insight.

Measuring the resistance was new to me and I can do it with my own meter. It is easy and I got a crash course :-)

Thanks again for your help
Dominique
sv Viva
SM #374
Papeete, French Polynesia

Mark McGovern

Dominique,

I agree with what most of the others have said here.  It is highly unlikely that the cable itself is the problem.  It is way more likely to be a loose, corroded, or damaged termination on either the +12V or -12V cables going from the starting battery to the starter motor on your engine.  Check, clean, repair, re-install and apply Corrosion X (or your favorite corrosion inhibitor) on each termination on both + and - cables.

Given that you say the starter battery is new, you should also check the voltage output on the 12V alternators on both the Yanmar and the Generator to make sure that they are working properly.  You should also check and clean all the terminations on the cables going from the alternators to the starter battery.

Last, get yourself a cheap battery tester like this one or similar:  https://www.amazon.com/BA7-100-1200-Electronic-Battery-System/dp/B0015PI7A4/ref=asc_df_B0015PI7A4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312280085431&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4260724397295291035&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007796&hvtargid=pla-499796143917&psc=1

Please let us know what you find and how you resolved the issue.  Good luck!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

eric freedman

Hi Dominique,

I would first check that the battery connector at the starter motor is clean.

I would also check The Valeo solenoid to see if it has clean connections both the battery cable and the small wire that goes to the engine block.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376