Topics

Soda Blasting of underwater GPR Area.

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Looking for opinions from the AMEL Group about Soda Blasting

Because I don’t’ know the history of the last 12 years on WASABI what was below the recent AF, how many layer of AF etc. I have in mind to sand down all the old layers. Before I bought my beloved AMEL I owned an Aluminum Boat and treatment of underwater where different.  I got an offer from MANOEL Yacht Yard in Malta to remove old paint with Soda Blasting of the underwater GPR Area.

I don’t know this process and asking the group of their knowledge and how good/bad it is for the undelaying Gelcoat?

Is there anything to be aware or specific care to know when doing Soda Blasting?

I know from reading that sandblasting can damage the gel-coat, is Soda Blasting same or less invasive for the hull?

Best regards

Ruedi

SY-WASABI

AMEL 54#55

Why don't you ask Amel?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019, 11:46 AM Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:

[...]

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Ruedi,
In my opinion soda blasting is great at removing old paint and leaving a perfect surface for epoxy primer; so long as the operator knows what he is doing...
That is a big caveat.
In the wrong hands the gelcoat can be damaged such that it will require some filling and fairing.
Perhaps you can see a sample of the work.
Sand and grit blasting are more aggressive and best avoided.

Nick
Amelia AML 54-019
Kefalonia

On 16 Sep 2019, at 18:22, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark McGovern

We had it done to our Super Maramu last winter.  It was done by a very experienced contractor 20 miles south of Annapolis who has over 25 years of experience with soda blasting boat hulls.  I made it clear I that I wanted to taken down to gelcoat NOT to fiberglass.  They understood what I was after and complied with my request.  I was very pleased with the results.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Matt Salatino

We had the same done at Cape Marina, Canaveral, Florida. They did an excellent job.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 16, 2019, at 7:17 PM, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

We had it done to our Super Maramu last winter.  It was done by a very experienced contractor 20 miles south of Annapolis who has over 25 years of experience with soda blasting boat hulls.  I made it clear I that I wanted to taken down to gelcoat NOT to fiberglass.  They understood what I was after and complied with my request.  I was very pleased with the results.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Arlo

Matt, who did you have do it at Cape Marina? I will likely be getting it done next summer and I am at Cape Marina. Also what did they charge you if youndont mind me asking...

Matt Salatino

Hi Arlo,
We had the yard do it. They offer it as a service.
We had it done in 2014, when we applied CopperCoat. Sorry, but I no longer have the yard bill, and can’t remember what we paid. I’ll make a big guess and say it’s likely less than on the Chesapeake, but I don’t know for sure. You can call the marina and ask them. They were pretty nice to me.
Oh, and they didn’t take it down to the gelcoat. I wanted them to take it to the barrier coat (CeramCoat). They did a great job.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 16, 2019, at 8:55 PM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

Matt, who did you have do it at Cape Marina? I will likely be getting it done next summer and I am at Cape Marina. Also what did they charge you if youndont mind me asking...

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Thank you Nick, Matt Arlo, Bill and Mark for your advice..
Ruedi
WASABI
AML 54-055
Syracus (Sicily)

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io" <ngtnewington@...>
Datum: Montag, 16. September 2019 um 19:39
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Soda Blasting of underwater GPR Area.

[...]

I believe they use crushed walnut shells as the medium, not sand. Whatever it is, isn’t abrasive enough to penetrate the gelcoat. Careful selection of blasting media is important.......or you’re right, you could damage the hull.....