headsail furler locking pin.

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi all,

the pin holding the headsail furler to the motor let go yesterday allowing the involuntary unfurling of the headsail. The pin must have lifted out of its hole to allow this to happen. The pin and its mechanism are still in place and when not under load functioning normally. For this to happen it would seem that the pin and/or the hole have become tapered. The fix would seem to be to remove the pin mechanism (photo attached) and turn the receiving plate and drill a new hole down through the hole for the mechanism. If the pin is worn as well repair or replace. So far so good. Has anyone removed this mechanism. Before I apply force to it I would like to be sure it is threaded in and not retained by another method. There is a hex on it, and looking closely it seems there is a build up of alloy around its base, if so this may have been done to prevent the fitting unscrewing involuntarily, a sensible precaution. I would appreciate the sharing of experience on this.

Thanking you in anticipation

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Savusavu Fiji

Alan Leslie

Hi Danny,
Bad luck.
We had that happen a few years ago and it is the slot in the plate that the pin engages in which becomes worn and under tension the pin can spring up and out of the slot.
We engineered a thin plate to bolt to the existing plate and thus create a new slot over the existing one. That seems to have worked quite well.
Our pin wasn't worn at all, only the plate.
Our furler is slightly different to yours, but the principle is the same.
You need to take the two halves of the top piece apart to get access to the plate and the pin.
Our pin was held in by a nut underneath the top piece. Yours may be different.
Good luck
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Thanks Alan, how did you separate the parts. Did you have to take the forestay down or did you do it in place.

Regards

Danny

On 17 September 2019 at 12:57 Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,
Bad luck.
We had that happen a few years ago and it is the slot in the plate that the pin engages in which becomes worn and under tension the pin can spring up and out of the slot.
We engineered a thin plate to bolt to the existing plate and thus create a new slot over the existing one. That seems to have worked quite well.
Our pin wasn't worn at all, only the plate.
Our furler is slightly different to yours, but the principle is the same.
You need to take the two halves of the top piece apart to get access to the plate and the pin.
Our pin was held in by a nut underneath the top piece. Yours may be different.
Good luck
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Duane Siegfri

Danny,

I had to do the same problem two years ago.  You need to remove the emergency rope furler from the foil.  On my boat (SM#477) it comes off in two halves, one on each side of the foil.  The pin is captive to the rope furler, it has a slot for a screwdriver on the bottom side.  I removed it and then had another one fabricated that was slightly longer.  I then ground the hole in the drive plate (that had been "scooped" out by the pin) so it had square edges to the top and bottom of the plate.  Reassemble and all was well.'

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Thanks Duane,

it would seem the later models had a different set up from mine at model 299. My emergency pulley is in one piece so not possible to separate it. Likewise different to Alan's in that there is not a nut securing the pin mechanism from below. The screwdriver slot on yours, did that unscrew the mechanism, if so perhaps the hex on the top of mine will do the same. In any event I don't have the easy access to the bottom plate you and Alan have. If I can get the mechanism out I believe my plan to drill a new hole in the plate by accessing through the hole for the mechanism will be an easy fix. Much easier than taking the foil down.

Olivier could you weigh in here. Do you know if the pin mechanism on 299 would be screwed in? See photo on my previous post.

Thanks all

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 17 September 2019 at 18:10 "Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io" <carlylelk@...> wrote:

Danny,

I had to do the same problem two years ago.  You need to remove the emergency rope furler from the foil.  On my boat (SM#477) it comes off in two halves, one on each side of the foil.  The pin is captive to the rope furler, it has a slot for a screwdriver on the bottom side.  I removed it and then had another one fabricated that was slightly longer.  I then ground the hole in the drive plate (that had been "scooped" out by the pin) so it had square edges to the top and bottom of the plate.  Reassemble and all was well.'

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Beaute Olivier

Hello Danny,

the type of locking pin you have is bolted into the aluminum sheave. The hole in the aluminum is tapped and the stainless steel unit is threaded. It is originally mounted with hard LOCTITE thread compound, and a nylon washer on top of the aluminum.
Ther is no nut at the backside of the pulley. You will certainly need to heat the area of the threaded part. You should use a small portable LPG welding tool in order not to heat the pulley too much (and damage the paint around).
Once removed, you should be able to drill a new hole for the pin. Try to make it 1 mm wider than the pin, and put some silicone grease or some sticky anti-corrosion stuff to avoid stainless steel from damaging the aluminum drive plate (the new hole will not be anodized).

Good luck.

Olivier

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Thank you Olivier, I appreciate your knowledgeable input.

Kind Regards

Danny