Topics

B&G Hydra 3000 True wind direction

Wolfgang Weber

Hi to the group,
My B&G HYDRA 3000 does not display True wind direction =shows 000.If I look through the setup headingsource is 016 - which I think is wrong. Before I try to test I ask the group.
B&G is in its original installation by Pochon/Amel
Thank you very much Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54#162 Sandyhook /new York

Wolfgang,

Is your boat speed working and the boat moving when you are checking this? Speed is a required field in the calculation performed by the Hydra. Normally when an Amel has issues with TWS or TWA, the problem is that Speed is missing. Also, in your B&G manual, yo will find instructions to calibrate TWS and TWA.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 10:13 AM Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi to the group,
My B&G HYDRA 3000 does not display True wind direction =shows 000.If I look through the setup headingsource is 016 - which I think is wrong. Before I try to test I ask the group.
B&G is in its original installation by Pochon/Amel
Thank you very much Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54#162 Sandyhook /new York

It could also be your heading sensor. Heading is also part of the calculation.
image.png

--

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 11:33 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bill, thank you.
TWS, AWS , speed etc is working perfect. I only wondered why the point True Winddirection is always on 000 M.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

Maybe it is as simple as needing calibration. I would pull the manual and try that first.

Good luck.

--

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 5:16 PM Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill, thank you.
TWS, AWS , speed etc is working perfect. I only wondered why the point True Winddirection is always on 000 M.
Wolfgang

Dean Gillies

Hi Wolfgang,
I noticed exactly the same problem when I bought Stella. I’m pretty sure that my system was configured as original from Amel. (Previous owner did not change anything).

I cannot find out right now exactly what source setting I used in the Hydra, but I’m fairly sure it’s not 16.

BUT the important thing is that you need to make sure that the Navnet3D system is actually connected to, AND is sending out heading data to the Hydra.

This is configured in the setup/installation process, and on my boat this was not turned on by Amel/Pochon.

So, in short the process is:

1. Find out which NMEA data Out port on the master MFD is physically connected to the Hydra.

2. Make sure the MFD is configured to send heading data on that port.

3. Set up the Hydra to use that data.

I’m sorry I cannot tell you which port numbers to use because I’m travelling at the moment. Regardless, your boat may not be wired exactly as mine, so you should go through the process yourself.

Hop that helps a bit.

Regards
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

Sent from my iPhone X

Dean Gillies

Wolfgang,
The picture here shows the configuration I have currently on Stella.  The heading data from PG500 is received by the master MFD on data port 3. I have connected port 2 output to the Hydra to deliver GPS and heading data which is used by the Hydra. This last connection was made by me when my GP150 failed.  My original installation by Amel/Pochon had the GP150 delivering GPS data to the Hydra, but no physical connection to deliver heading data.  You will likely need to find a way to make this connection. Hope that makes sense!
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

Dean Gillies

The picture seems to have dropped off my previous message. Here it is again.