Topics

Canvas work in Eastern Med

ngtnewington Newington

Hello fellow Amel owners,

I am thinking of getting some upholstery and canvas work done for Amelia. Specifically I want to replace the saloon cushions and covers. The foam itself is beginning to deteriorate and the covers are pretty tatty.
So that would be a case of replacing like for like.

In addition I would like to have a winter cockpit enclosure made. I have looked at the NV website and their design, it looks good but is pretty expensive.

Next year we will be sailing over to Turkey and the Dodecanese. I was thinking that I might get a good job done in Turkey for a reasonable price. Not to mention the VAT aspect of ordering from NV in France.

I am looking for recommendations for, I guess, Turkey.????

Kind regards

Nick

S/Y Amelia AML 54-019

 Kefalonia for now.

Arnold Mente

Dear Nick,

I was in contact with a friend 5 minutes ago sailing in Turkey. There is schwarzewolke.com and the attached business cards from 3 others working well in Marmaris.

Kind regards

Arnold

SY Zephyr SM203

--
SY Zephyr SM203

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Nick;

One of the best upholstery guys we have run into is a guy by the name of Ebrahim in Didim Turkey.

He made a full winter cover for us in 3 pieces that has held up as new after 5 seasons of use in the Med where 50+ knots of wind are common. He also made a memory foam mattress for the master that has given us many great nights of sleep. As honest as they come, a physics professor and a good guy.

We also referred another Suoer Maramu owner friend of ours that replaced all of his cushions and was very happy.

+90 (532) 770 22 11. Let him
Know I referred you and say hello from us.

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Sep 21, 2019, at 4:57 PM, Arnold Mente via Groups.Io <Arnold.mente@...> wrote:

[...]

<86aa1df4-f924-474f-9a3b-1182a86d3981.jpeg><f85fb01b-b282-4e4b-b9fe-901b19e5bf41.jpeg><13809a8d-1801-4ff2-8180-f7ceae1076c0.jpeg>

--
SY Zephyr SM203

Paul Brown

Hello Nick, I had a refit completed to a catamaran 60 foot by Lantana Canvas family in Marmaris and Gocek in 2017, they did 16,000 euros of work from couches, covers, bedding and awnings etc, I was more than happy with their work and handling of the project that we both work together on and their prices were very acceptable following negotiations and the best I have found in the eastern med and perhaps the western med also

Regards Paul - Fortuna II 55/17

On 21 Sep 2019, at 4:08 pm, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks guys, very useful information. Looks like Marmaris is the place to go.

Nick

On 21 Sep 2019, at 18:41, Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

[...]

I recommend you check price and precise material, time lines, completion dates and supervise the work, they can be good but there has been many bad experiences.

On 23 Sep 2019, at 11:53 am, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

rossirossix4

Hi Nick,
I second the recommendation on Lantana.  The shop in Marmaris is run by Naile +90 532 511 67 27 . Her brother, Raif Sağlam +382 63 443 205 is now based in Tivat, Montenegro which is closer to where you are.  We had him do canvas work when we were in Göcek, Turkey and then had him do a few follow-up projects when we later "wintered" (Jan 22-April 10) in Porto Montenegro in Tivat.  His full service shop is a 2 minute walk from the Marina.  Both Raif and Naile are readily available on WhatsApp which is good for photos, etc.  They use top of the line fabrics, mesh and window materials and have good staff that have stayed with them.  Hands down Raif was the single best contractor we used in 6 years of cruising the European Atlantic and the Med.
Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI SM 429

Paul Brown

Raif was the man that I negotiated with and had manage my project, he was so very professional and precise, I recommend him highly and also is one of the best contractors Ive used, he has lots of experience and managed large refits on a wide range of yachts up to super yachts

On 23 Sep 2019, at 7:08 pm, rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...> wrote:

Hi Nick,
I second the recommendation on Lantana.  The shop in Marmaris is run by Naile +90 532 511 67 27 . Her brother, Raif Sağlam +382 63 443 205 is now based in Tivat, Montenegro which is closer to where you are.  We had him do canvas work when we were in Göcek, Turkey and then had him do a few follow-up projects when we later "wintered" (Jan 22-April 10) in Porto Montenegro in Tivat.  His full service shop is a 2 minute walk from the Marina.  Both Raif and Naile are readily available on WhatsApp which is good for photos, etc.  They use top of the line fabrics, mesh and window materials and have good staff that have stayed with them.  Hands down Raif was the single best contractor we used in 6 years of cruising the European Atlantic and the Med.
Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI SM 429

Davi Rozgonyi

Edited

You could look at Southwest Sails in Turkey. The PO of our SM had a full enclosure made there 6 or more years ago, still looks and works beautifully. You could call it a winter enclosure in that every gap and opening is battened down, but all of it rolls up or (unzips in panels if you prefer) to make it into more or less a bimini. Sailing in 30 knots of wind middle of Feb along corsica we were playing canasta in sweatpants at the table. Love it.... Bonus of course they already have the plans for the SM. In our case, it also involved making the headroom as tall as possible beneath the boom, so maybe a 6' person can stand fully upright.

www.southwestsails.com.tr

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

We r just going to build a winter enclosure.

Any hints that we should care for?
Do you have some fotos?

Oliver
A54#39