Topics

Why has the Amel 54 no boom vang?

Arno Luijten

Dear forum,

Our Amel 54 is the first sailboat we own that lacks a boom vang. Why is this? I notice the A55 and the A64 both do have a vang and I think I've seen some SMs with a vang as well.
How do you limit excessive twist in the main at broad reach. Rigging a preventer may be a way to do this by seems to be unpractical as you will need to adjust it in combination with the main sheet making that almost a two person job.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Arno;

I have my own assumptions as to why the 54 does not have a vang but do not know the exact reason why Amel chose not install one.

As far as usage, we typically rig a preventer that has lines running back to the cockpit and use the secondary winches to adjust the preventer from the cockpit and therefore eliminate the need for some one going out on deck. This gives us full sail shape control even with the boom sheeted out past the end of the traveler.

Respectfully;

Mohammad And Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099