Topics

Headsail furler issues

Adam Body

Our headsail furler has developed a problem. Our boat is a 1994 Super Maramu, previously named Amelie IV and renamed Flora. Located in Greenwell Point, NSW, Australia. The solenoids are both working (ie clicking). The furler rotates one direction but not the other direction. Each solenoid clicks when activated by the switch in the cockpit.  There is no noise or action in the furler motor or mechanism whne we attempt to rotate the furler in the direction it does not work. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best palce to start to investiage the problem?
Thanks and regards Adam
1994 Super Maramu "Flora"  SM No. 128 1994

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi, almost certainly carbon brushes, either stuck or worn

 Not hard to fix

 Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 28 September 2019 at 17:00 Adam Body <adamgcbody@...> wrote:

Our headsail furler has developed a problem. Our boat is a 1994 Super Maramu, previously named Amelie IV and renamed Flora. Located in Greenwell Point, NSW, Australia. The solenoids are both working (ie clicking). The furler rotates one direction but not the other direction. Each solenoid clicks when activated by the switch in the cockpit.  There is no noise or action in the furler motor or mechanism whne we attempt to rotate the furler in the direction it does not work. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best palce to start to investiage the problem?
Thanks and regards Adam
1994 Super Maramu "Flora"  SM No. 128 1994

I believe that you probably need to inspect the brushes on the motor. Might just need cleaning, but that age SM, they likely need to be replaced.

Most SM first owners bought spare brushes. Search your boat. Those Valeo solenoids are probably the best to use with a likely 20 year life.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019, 4:00 AM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Ian Park

Try tapping the motor with a soft mallet or something similar. It worked for me until I tidied the brushes up. I still need to order some new ones at the end of the season, but removing the brushes and cleaning them with fine abrasive paper ensured they slid in their mountings. Another issue was that the springs had corroded at the contact with the carbon brushes, so I removed them and carefully bent them to provide a good contact again. Problem temporarily solved until I get the new springs and brushes..
But try a brisk tap on the motor first!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Adam Body

Thank you Ian,Bill and Danny for the very helpful responses.  I have checked the "in" solenoid, pressed the button on the bottom, and there is 24 V coming through (measured by multimeter so no load). It does have a very healthy click sound when the cockpit switch is activated, so the likelihood is that it is ok.  So..... then I located new brushes on the boat, and replaced all 4. There was quite a bit of graphite dust when I took off the bottom plastic brush covers. But .... the problem persists! The "out rotation" works fine. The "in" rotation works very infrequently, and then only after holding the cockpit switch down for an extended few seconds. I am now thinking I need to remove the motor and take it to an auto electrician to clean it up and test the windings, armature etc.
--
Adam Body "Flora" SM 0030017SM 128 Annee 1994

VLADIMIR SONSEV

It can be mechanical problem in the worm gear mechanism. It happened on my boat.
The bearing on one side of the worm failed and was jamming one direction of rotation.

Vladimir
SM345

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019, 9:45 AM Adam Body <adamgcbody@...> wrote:
[...]

Craig & Katherine Briggs

Adam - Interesting idea from Vladimir - worth popping the motor off the gearbox to see if it works both ways by itself.

Adam Body

Thanks Vladimir and Craig..Does the motor simply pop off?? The worm drive doesnt get tangled?? If that is the case, I will do that asap rather than wait for the auto electrician....
--
Adam Body "Flora" SM 0030017SM 128 Annee 1994

VLADIMIR SONSEV

Adam,

Before you remove the motor you have to determine if it is electrical or mechanical problem.
Reverse polarity on the motor and see if it rotates.

Vladimir

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019, 12:12 AM Adam Body <adamgcbody@...> wrote:
Thanks Vladimir and Craig..Does the motor simply pop off?? The worm drive doesnt get tangled?? If that is the case, I will do that asap rather than wait for the auto electrician....
--
Adam Body "Flora" SM 0030017SM 128 Annee 1994

Adam Body

Yep: good idea!...hopefully we will get down to the Flora over the next few days and will do as you suggest, Vladimir
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

Adam Body

Hello again: there are three main wires to the headsail furling motor on Flora. Two of these are connected by normal threaded post connection and the third is simply hard connected to the internals of the motor. My question is..what is the purpose of this third connection?
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

Adam Body

An update on the headsail furler. The problem was a burnt out wire.  The wire in question carried the current from one (FOC in) of the four solenoids (two for the FOC/Jib, two for the anchor winch) located in the forward port locker of the forward berth. The wire passes through conduits forward to the port bow deck compartment where there is a junction box. This is where the wire was burnt out. The insulation on the wire was cracked and the copper wires had corroded and gradually broke down as the remaining wires were required to carry the current, until they simply burnt out. Hopefully this experience will be helpful to others.
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

Craig & Katherine Briggs

That's interesting, Adam.
On the SN the wires make "home runs" to the motors (furler or windlass) with no splice in a junction box, a far better arrangement (and typically "code"). When you redo this can you run a single wire from the solenoid to the motor, just using the junction box as an intermediate place to pull the single wires through, without putting in splices? I think that would give a far better installation.
Craig

Adam Body

Good idea ..thanks Craig.
--