Topics

Antifouling for the Mediterranean

David Crisp

Hi all,

Just acquired an Amel 54 (#58) and having her hauled and anti-fouled.  I  am going to remain in the Mediterranean and some advice would be valued.
The yard is offering International Unipro or for an extra €210 per coat International 350. A number of questions:-

(1)  One or two anti-fouling coats?
(2)  If two coats is it likely to last two years?  (2 years would fit well with the changing the propshaft bushing/seals and bow thruster maintenance}
(2)  Is International 350 worth the extra money?

Best
David Crisp, SY Wilna Grace

Paul Brown

Hi David

Depending on what antifoul is on there already, you should find this out and check what you can use next or how to prepare

Once the hull is prepared and you know the gel shield is good 2 good and thorough coats of international 350 is what I would recommend as I have used this and international micro extra UE for many years and it should last at least two full years, it’s worth the cost compared to cheaper products that may not last as long, of course this is my experience

You may want to check the difference between international micron extra eu, I’m not sure but maybe formulated better for the Mediterranean

Of course supervising the preparation and application is well recommended as preparation is as important as application and the correct product

I once achieved 3 years out of two good coats of international however I did need to dive every few months during the third year to remove some growth, which you should do regardless to polish your prop and other fittings

Congratulations and all the best with you wonderful boat

I hope this assists

Kind regards Paul - Fortuna II 55/17

On 30 Sep 2019, at 9:04 am, David Crisp <david@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Just acquired an Amel 54 (#58) and having her hauled and anti-fouled.  I  am going to remain in the Mediterranean and some advice would be valued.
The yard is offering International Unipro or for an extra €210 per coat International 350. A number of questions:-

(1)  One or two anti-fouling coats?
(2)  If two coats is it likely to last two years?  (2 years would fit well with the changing the propshaft bushing/seals and bow thruster maintenance}
(2)  Is International 350 worth the extra money?

Best
David Crisp, SY Wilna Grace

Arnold Mente

Hi David,

For a 2 years in water you need my experiance 3 Layer Micron 350. You can see this also on the HP from International.

Liebe Grüsse / Best regards

Arnold
SY Zephyr SM 203

--
SY Zephyr SM203

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi David;

We applied 3 coats of micron 350 last year in Malta. The boat has been in the water since and the result is fine so far. We had used micron 66, when it was available , and it worked fine for 3 years in the Med.  micron does recommend 3 coats if you intend to go a full 2 years or
More.

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Sep 30, 2019, at 9:04 AM, David Crisp via Groups.Io <david@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Just acquired an Amel 54 (#58) and having her hauled and anti-fouled.  I  am going to remain in the Mediterranean and some advice would be valued.
The yard is offering International Unipro or for an extra €210 per coat International 350. A number of questions:-

(1)  One or two anti-fouling coats?
(2)  If two coats is it likely to last two years?  (2 years would fit well with the changing the propshaft bushing/seals and bow thruster maintenance}
(2)  Is International 350 worth the extra money?

Best
David Crisp, SY Wilna Grace

David Crisp

Many thanks to you all for the rapid response, advice and a clear consensus.   I'll go with 2 coats of the 350.

Great to back aboard an Amel again.  About 15 years ago I bought a SM near Nice and took her to Caribbean and back to the UK during a 3 year sabbatical.  This time I've just retired....  So far, after a month, very pleased with the 54, she has many of the improvements I imagined in my mind whilst living aboard the SM.

Fair winds and following seas to all.
David
SY Wilna Grace

Paul Brown

How many litres per coat is required for a 54? I expect a 55 is not much or if any a larger surface area and I generally use 12 litres for 2 coats but maybe this is not correct?

On 30 Sep 2019, at 1:14 pm, David Crisp <david@...> wrote:

Many thanks to you all for the rapid response, advice and a clear consensus.   I'll go with 2 coats of the 350.

Great to back aboard an Amel again.  About 15 years ago I bought a SM near Nice and took her to Caribbean and back to the UK during a 3 year sabbatical.  This time I've just retired....  So far, after a month, very pleased with the 54, she has many of the improvements I imagined in my mind whilst living aboard the SM.

Fair winds and following seas to all.
David
SY Wilna Grace

I recommend the Micron series, if available.

GelSeal is not required on an Amel made after about 1985. In the mid 80s Amel began using a proprietary anti-osmosis layer between the gelcoat and the fiberglass.

A high quality antifouling paint, proper preparation and application of at least 2 coats with a 3rd at the waterline, leading edges, and rudder will consume most of 20 liters.

International makes antifouling in 20 liter pales, and 20 liters will allow the above number of unthinned coats for a SM, 54, or 55. This method should give you a very high chance of renewing the antifouling every 2 years. Of course, antifouling life depends on quality of product, preparation, application, number of miles and location.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019, 9:13 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
How many litres per coat is required for a 54? I expect a 55 is not much or if any a larger surface area and I generally use 12 litres for 2 coats but maybe this is not correct?

Regards Paul Fortuna II 55/17

On 30 Sep 2019, at 1:14 pm, David Crisp <david@...> wrote:

Many thanks to you all for the rapid response, advice and a clear consensus.   I'll go with 2 coats of the 350.

Great to back aboard an Amel again.  About 15 years ago I bought a SM near Nice and took her to Caribbean and back to the UK during a 3 year sabbatical.  This time I've just retired....  So far, after a month, very pleased with the 54, she has many of the improvements I imagined in my mind whilst living aboard the SM.

Fair winds and following seas to all.
David
SY Wilna Grace

Roque

I second Bill R.

Just did the anti-fouling on my A54 and 20 L is a good estimate. You probably can get by with 2 liters less.

I used much more because I decided to apply 3 coats

Roque

Attika A54 # 117

Paraty

Em seg, 30 de set de 2019 às 11:31, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> escreveu:

[...]

Thanks Bill, I will apply this quantity next.
Regards Paul

On 30 Sep 2019, at 4:31 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, if 20 liters is applied perfectly, it will be very close to 3 complete coats. This happened only one time for me when Manoel Island Boat Yard in Malta and their BEST painter, Alex & his uncle, painted antifouling on BeBe.

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019, 10:07 AM Roque <ediroque@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill,

That’s nice to hear you received great service, it should be standard of course but as we experience it’s not always the case and polite supervision is required

There seems to be a lot of good providers in Malta and around Valletta particularly

Thanks again for your tip on the antifoul volume, it’s an important consideration I think for a biannual maintenance item

Kind regards Paul

On 30 Sep 2019, at 6:21 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Gerhard Mueller

It depends heavely on the area in the Mediterranean where the boat stays. Two years in Monastir, Tunisia the boat looks like this:

With same antifouling paint I am now 2 years in Malta and Greece and still there is nothing seen on the hull.
But there is also no fish and no seafood available neither in Malta nor in Greece.
However in Monastir, Tunisia there was plenty fish and seafood at the market and in the restaurants.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

tony wells

Bill -  I met with Alex this morning - he was flattered by your praise and sends his regards to you and Judy! And also to Guillaume & Cathy and Mohammad & Aty.

Tony
A54 #102 Balthazar, Manoel Island, Malta

On 30 Sep 2019, at 18:21, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Tony;

Please give my regards to Alex. He is a conscientious worker. You will not be disappointed. Also ask him for some “Cow’s wee wee”. He will let you know where and how to use it.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Oct 1, 2019, at 11:10 AM, tony wells via Groups.Io <tony.wells@...> wrote:

[...]

Tony,

He deserves praise. In our experience and around the world, Alex and his uncle were the best.
Bill