Topics

Gearbox for outhaulAmel


Joerg Esdorn
 

For a few weeks or possibly months, the outhaul furler has been slower than the main furler on my A55.  Amel had me check the current limiter - it’s ok - and then had me check the current when furling.  The main furler was about 15A, the outhaul however was 60 to 70 A.  The diagnosis is that I have a failed bearing in the gearbox for the furler.  I’m only 200 miles away from my winter location- do I need to deal with this issue now?  How difficult is it to take the gearbox off and replace the bearing?  The boat is from 2016 so hopefully I don’t have the problem with the seized shaft which has been the topic of lots of discussions on this forum.   Many thanks for any thoughts. 

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem
currently in Cascais 


 

You can probably wait. Limit the use to short bursts. 

BTW, measuring the amps is an excellent method of determining this mechanical problem. If your 55 is like others I have seen, the gearbox may be full of corrosion.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970


On Mon, Sep 30, 2019, 10:04 AM Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
For a few weeks or possibly months, the outhaul furler has been slower than the main furler on my A55.  Amel had me check the current limiter - it’s ok - and then had me check the current when furling.  The main furler was about 15A, the outhaul however was 60 to 70 A.  The diagnosis is that I have a failed bearing in the gearbox for the furler.  I’m only 200 miles away from my winter location- do I need to deal with this issue now?  How difficult is it to take the gearbox off and replace the bearing?  The boat is from 2016 so hopefully I don’t have the problem with the seized shaft which has been the topic of lots of discussions on this forum.   Many thanks for any thoughts. 

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem
currently in Cascais 


Joerg Esdorn
 

Thanks very much, Bill.  At the suggestion of another owner, I checked the tension of the outhaul line and found it to be iron tight.  Apparently the lines shrink a bit over the years.  This puts a lot of load on the bearings of course.  I now have it loosened so it hangs a bit down without touching the boom.  That reduced the amps to about 20-50.   Still above the 15-20 measured for the furling motor but less than before.   I will wait to take the gear box apart until I reach Vigo where the boat will remain for the winter.   

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 Kincsem 
currently in Cascais 


Paul Brown
 

Hi Joerg 

My out haul line is iron tight also, how did you loosen your line as I figure I have the same issue?

Thank you in advance 

Kind regards Paul - Fortuna II 5/17


On 2 Oct 2019, at 9:21 am, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Thanks very much, Bill.  At the suggestion of another owner, I checked the tension of the outhaul line and found it to be iron tight.  Apparently the lines shrink a bit over the years.  This puts a lot of load on the bearings of course.  I now have it loosened so it hangs a bit down without touching the boom.  That reduced the amps to about 20-50.   Still above the 15-20 measured for the furling motor but less than before.   I will wait to take the gear box apart until I reach Vigo where the boat will remain for the winter.   

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 Kincsem 
currently in Cascais 


Joerg Esdorn
 

Loosen the spectra lines that attach the line to the car 


Paul Brown
 

Thanks Joerg 


On 2 Oct 2019, at 10:02 am, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Loosen the spectra lines that attach the line to the car 


 

The outhaul line should be tight with no deflection in the line. 

I believe the reason that loosening it helped reduce the amps was because the bearings need replacing...reducing side pressure to the axel of a failing bearing will usually allow the easing of the binding pressure. 

A loose outhaul line will allow some slippage through the gearbox line tender sheave on most Amels, although I have yet to see this happen on a 55, which has a different sheave than a SM or 54.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970


On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, 3:07 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Thanks Joerg 


On 2 Oct 2019, at 10:02 am, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Loosen the spectra lines that attach the line to the car 


Paul Brown
 

Dear Bill,

My out haul line is very very tight (bar tight)do you know if this is acceptable?

Kind regards Paul - Fortuna II 55/17


On 2 Oct 2019, at 2:17 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

The outhaul line should be tight with no deflection in the line. 

I believe the reason that loosening it helped reduce the amps was because the bearings need replacing...reducing side pressure to the axel of a failing bearing will usually allow the easing of the binding pressure. 

A loose outhaul line will allow some slippage through the gearbox line tender sheave on most Amels, although I have yet to see this happen on a 55, which has a different sheave than a SM or 54.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, 3:07 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Thanks Joerg 


On 2 Oct 2019, at 10:02 am, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Loosen the spectra lines that attach the line to the car 


 

Paul,

Yes.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970


On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, 8:34 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Dear Bill,

My out haul line is very very tight (bar tight)do you know if this is acceptable?

Kind regards Paul - Fortuna II 55/17


On 2 Oct 2019, at 2:17 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

The outhaul line should be tight with no deflection in the line. 

I believe the reason that loosening it helped reduce the amps was because the bearings need replacing...reducing side pressure to the axel of a failing bearing will usually allow the easing of the binding pressure. 

A loose outhaul line will allow some slippage through the gearbox line tender sheave on most Amels, although I have yet to see this happen on a 55, which has a different sheave than a SM or 54.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, 3:07 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Thanks Joerg 


On 2 Oct 2019, at 10:02 am, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Loosen the spectra lines that attach the line to the car 


Beaute Olivier
 

Hello Paul,

originally, this line is rather tight, indeed as Bill says, in order to prevent slipage. But with time, UV and salt, this Vectran-core line tends to shrink and gets tighter and tighter which puts more load than necessary on the motor itself. You should loosen a bit the small line tackle at one end of the traveller's line.

Olivier


Paul Brown
 

Thank you Olivier, I will slacken off a little.

I was wondering if this was causing my slow blow boom fuse to open earlier than it should, as it seems to open often 

Regards Paul 


On 2 Oct 2019, at 6:13 pm, Beaute Olivier via Groups.Io <atlanticyachtsurvey@...> wrote:

Hello Paul,

originally, this line is rather tight, indeed as Bill says, in order to prevent slipage. But with time, UV and salt, this Vectran-core line tends to shrink and gets tighter and tighter which puts more load than necessary on the motor itself. You should loosen a bit the small line tackle at one end of the traveller's line.

Olivier


Sv Garulfo
 

Paul, 
You may want to check the block at the end of the boom too, mine and others’ were a bit seized. We cleaned it up and also ordered a replacement from Amel, as it seems to be specially adapted from the stock items. 


Best,
Thomas
GARULFO 
A54-122
Rangiroa, French Polynesia 

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 06:20, Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Thank you Olivier, I will slacken off a little.

I was wondering if this was causing my slow blow boom fuse to open earlier than it should, as it seems to open often 

Regards Paul 


On 2 Oct 2019, at 6:13 pm, Beaute Olivier via Groups.Io <atlanticyachtsurvey@...> wrote:

Hello Paul,

originally, this line is rather tight, indeed as Bill says, in order to prevent slipage. But with time, UV and salt, this Vectran-core line tends to shrink and gets tighter and tighter which puts more load than necessary on the motor itself. You should loosen a bit the small line tackle at one end of the traveller's line.

Olivier


Paul Brown
 

Thanks Thomas 


On 3 Oct 2019, at 2:48 am, Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

Paul, 
You may want to check the block at the end of the boom too, mine and others’ were a bit seized. We cleaned it up and also ordered a replacement from Amel, as it seems to be specially adapted from the stock items. 


Best,
Thomas
GARULFO 
A54-122
Rangiroa, French Polynesia 

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 06:20, Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Thank you Olivier, I will slacken off a little.

I was wondering if this was causing my slow blow boom fuse to open earlier than it should, as it seems to open often 

Regards Paul 


On 2 Oct 2019, at 6:13 pm, Beaute Olivier via Groups.Io <atlanticyachtsurvey@...> wrote:

Hello Paul,

originally, this line is rather tight, indeed as Bill says, in order to prevent slipage. But with time, UV and salt, this Vectran-core line tends to shrink and gets tighter and tighter which puts more load than necessary on the motor itself. You should loosen a bit the small line tackle at one end of the traveller's line.

Olivier


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi,

Salt is all pervasive. It is gritty stuff. If you are minimal sailing with regular rainfall it is not usually too much of a problem. However major passages in the tropics puts gritty salt every where. Including the furler spinners at the top of the sails. Thorough washing with fresh water of all blocks travelers and cars and dropping all sails to wash out  the spinners will save a lot of grief. After the wash and allowing time to dry spray silicone. 

You may becamazed at the results. Thiscincludescthe 

On 03 October 2019 at 15:53 Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

Thanks Thomas 

 

On 3 Oct 2019, at 2:48 am, Sv Garulfo < svgarulfo@...> wrote:

Paul, 
You may want to check the block at the end of the boom too, mine and others’ were a bit seized. We cleaned it up and also ordered a replacement from Amel, as it seems to be specially adapted from the stock items. 


Best,
Thomas
GARULFO 
A54-122
Rangiroa, French Polynesia 

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 06:20, Paul Brown < feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Thank you Olivier, I will slacken off a little.

I was wondering if this was causing my slow blow boom fuse to open earlier than it should, as it seems to open often 

Regards Paul 

 

On 2 Oct 2019, at 6:13 pm, Beaute Olivier via Groups.Io < atlanticyachtsurvey@...> wrote:

Hello Paul,

originally, this line is rather tight, indeed as Bill says, in order to prevent slipage. But with time, UV and salt, this Vectran-core line tends to shrink and gets tighter and tighter which puts more load than necessary on the motor itself. You should loosen a bit the small line tackle at one end of the traveller's line.

Olivier

 

 


 


 


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 


On 03 October 2019 at 19:48 Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi,

Salt is all pervasive. It is gritty stuff. If you are minimal sailing with regular rainfall it is not usually too much of a problem. However major passages in the tropics puts gritty salt every where. Including the furler spinners at the top of the sails. Thorough washing with fresh water of all blocks travelers and cars and dropping all sails to wash out  the spinners will save a lot of grief. After the wash and allowing time to dry spray silicone. 

You may be amazed at the results. This includes the mizzen furler gearbox.

Danny

Sm 299

Ocean Pearl

On 03 October 2019 at 15:53 Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Thanks Thomas 

 

On 3 Oct 2019, at 2:48 am, Sv Garulfo < svgarulfo@...> wrote:

Paul, 
You may want to check the block at the end of the boom too, mine and others’ were a bit seized. We cleaned it up and also ordered a replacement from Amel, as it seems to be specially adapted from the stock items. 


Best,
Thomas
GARULFO 
A54-122
Rangiroa, French Polynesia 

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 06:20, Paul Brown < feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Thank you Olivier, I will slacken off a little.

I was wondering if this was causing my slow blow boom fuse to open earlier than it should, as it seems to open often 

Regards Paul 

 

On 2 Oct 2019, at 6:13 pm, Beaute Olivier via Groups.Io < atlanticyachtsurvey@...> wrote:

Hello Paul,

originally, this line is rather tight, indeed as Bill says, in order to prevent slipage. But with time, UV and salt, this Vectran-core line tends to shrink and gets tighter and tighter which puts more load than necessary on the motor itself. You should loosen a bit the small line tackle at one end of the traveller's line.

Olivier