Topics

Rudder seal

Paul Brown

hello all,

i am inquiring for some assistance please

there is a fair amount of sea water entering the rudder steering compartment, it’s likely I think via the rudder seal.

can you please advise the best approach to seal this correctly:

would i tighten the rudder nut clockwise or anticlockwise and is it likely new seals are required and what may the process be to replace and maintain this item?

thank you in advance for any assistance

kind regards Paul - Fortuna II 55/17

Mark McGovern

Paul,

In the Super Maramu there is a large nut at the top of the post.  You tighten it by turning it clockwise looking at it from above.  The general recommendation is to turn it 1/6 of a turn at a time and then wait and check for leaks.  Continue this process until the leak stops.  If it does not ever stop you will need to replace the packing material.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Paul Brown

Hi Mark, thank you very much and roger that, I have now tightened it as your information but about a 1/2 turn as it was leaking a lot.

So if I do need to replace the packing material I’m guessing you remove the nut to do this and this is ok while the boat is in the water?

Kind Regards Paul

On 1 Oct 2019, at 6:22 pm, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Paul,

In the Super Maramu there is a large nut at the top of the post.  You tighten it by turning it clockwise looking at it from above.  The general recommendation is to turn it 1/6 of a turn at a time and then wait and check for leaks.  Continue this process until the leak stops.  If it does not ever stop you will need to replace the packing material.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Beaute Olivier

Hello Paul,

no it's not OK to replace the packing material while the boat is afloat. You would then have a strong water ingress while you're working for installing the new stuff.
Do it while you do a new anti-fouling, unless you can't wait because you see alot of water coming in and the nylon nut is already all the way in. Then no other option than hauling-out.

Good luck.

Olivier

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019, 06:47:50 PM GMT+2, Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Olivier

I will follow your instruction and complete next haul out, it was only leaking some when under way, the plastic nut is almost all the way down so I guess it’s due

On 1 Oct 2019, at 7:03 pm, Beaute Olivier via Groups.Io <atlanticyachtsurvey@...> wrote:

[...]

An interesting comment: Mark McGovern states 1/6 turn is usually adequate for a SM. I have seen this true on all SMs and 54s. But what is interesting is that your 55 is now the 3rd 55 that required 1/2 turn to seal. I am not really sure why the difference. BTW, in all Amels, there is a mechanical lock device on the nut which has to be removed to tighten. All of the 55s I have seen came with an Amel-made wrench for this purpose.

Does your 55 have an Amel-installed water Alarm in the steering compartment? Does it work? Did the hydraulic hose fittings get soaked with saltwater? Is there corrosion on the fittings, solenoid valves and pump(s)/ If so, I found that all can be reasonable cleaned with CorrosionX and a stainless steel brush. You may also want to use Corroseal.

Bill
--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 11:47 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi bill,

No there is no water alarm in the compartment and the hoses and fittings I don’t think were soaked just splashed. There is no real corrosion as I have been maintaining the fittings by a steel brushing as required and keeping them clean lubricated and greased.

I hadn’t thought of a water alarm but will now look into an installation

Thank you for the tip with corrosionX and Carroseal, I haven’t used the products before but will certainly try them now.

Again, it’s great to have your assistance with these matters, thank you so much

On 1 Oct 2019, at 8:50 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Do you recommend using both products together, Corroseal and CorrosionX or just either?

Corroseal is detailed as a primer, so perhaps I would use this following the application of CorrosionX?

I’m in Sicily Italy and will look for the products of not I’ll order from the US when I’m back in Australia in two weeks

Thanks again

Regards Paul

On 1 Oct 2019, at 9:20 pm, Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

[...]

It depends on the amount of corrosion. I helped a 55 owner with this issue. Everything cleaned up with a stainless steel brush and CorrosionX. We used Corroseal afterwards to ensure that we had all of the rust. A few spots turned black indicating some remaining rust.

I think using only CorrosionX will probably work fine for you. Check it frequently. Amel must have added a battery powered water alarm in 55 models after yours. I highly recommend it.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, 1:46 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks again Bill,

I will look into the battery powered water alarm

Regards Paul

On 2 Oct 2019, at 2:25 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Joerg Esdorn

Paul, i had a Little bit of water last Fall and tightened the nut 1/3 of a turn.  No water so far this season.  I would try to tighten the nut further before anything else.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem

Paul Brown

Thanks Joerg

I’ll see how it goes next season, but I understand it’s function and maintenance more fully now and how to replace it so onwards and upwards

Do you have a water alarm in the steering enclosure and if so do you know which brand and model?

Regards Paul

On 2 Oct 2019, at 6:43 pm, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Paul, i had a Little bit of water last Fall and tightened the nut 1/3 of a turn.  No water so far this season.  I would try to tighten the nut further before anything else.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem

Joerg Esdorn

Yes, Paul I have an alarm.  See pic.

Paul Brown

Thanks Joerg

I will purchase the same

Regards Paul

On 3 Oct 2019, at 5:44 pm, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Yes, Paul I have an alarm.  See pic. <912F20F9-0240-49B1-BFCA-A690DB64B35F.jpeg>

image.png
Same from my files...be sure to check internal batteries often and change maybe every year.

--

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 11:09 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Thanks Joerg

I will purchase the same

Regards Paul

On 3 Oct 2019, at 5:44 pm, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Yes, Paul I have an alarm.  See pic. <912F20F9-0240-49B1-BFCA-A690DB64B35F.jpeg>

Paul Brown

Your a champ Bill, thanks

I must mention, this is a great community and forum, very very helpful and kind - excellent

Regards Paul