Topics

12V supply near 24V panel on Amel 54

Sv Garulfo
 

Hi all,

Before I get onto a wild goose chase, does anyone know if there is a 12V power supply in the cabinet behind the 24V panel or nearby, and, if yes, where it comes from (starter battery or 24/12 converters)?

I’m considering adding a light sensitive switch for the anchor/nav lights and the electronic I’ve got requires a 12V/0.1A power supply. 

Cheers,

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Rangiroa, French Polynesia 

Alan Leslie
 

Hi Thomas,

I have few of these cheap converters on Elyse for uses like that....24V in and adjust for 12v out...easy !

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Step-up-down-5V-12V-24V-Adjustable-Voltage-Power-Supply-Module-/112425670929

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Arno Luijten
 

Hi Thomas,

No there is not. I actually mounted one of those DC-DC (24-12 Volt) converters on the inside wall where the fresh water gauge sits on the other side (inside the locker below the ceiling). I put a small DC-distribution thing with fuses next to it and a negative busbar to supply all kind of stuff that I put there.
It is supplied via the big 24 Volt point that sits at the bottom of the locker.
Originally there was a DC-DC (24-24 Volt) converter there used to dim the cabin lights but that did not work anymore because of the LED light replacement. So I also replaced the dimmer button with a push button that now operates the engine-bay illumination so you can light up the engine-bay before entering it.
The feed cable form the engine-bay lights can be isolated from the other lights at the circuit-breaker switch for the "middle of the boat" lights.

Regards,

Arno
SV Luna,
A54-121

Gary Wells
 

I had to run some 12v wiring on my SM.  It's not difficult but will require a bit of patience and a good work light :).
I would definitely recommend that you tap  power from a converter and not from the starter battery. 
At least in my experience it was a frustrating chase to find a current leak in the starter circuit due to an accessory failure that the previous owner had installed.  A dead starter battery is not a high problem, but it is a nuisance.
 At any rate, I would keep the starter circuit dedicated  and isolated to the one task. 
Just my €0.018275 (current exchange rate notwithstanding) worth :
Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Annapolis, MD

Mark Pitt
 

I often hang a light-sensitive David Megalight 6 feet above the cockpit while at anchor.  I provide the 12 volts required with this item from Amazon:

"24V to 12V Step Down Converter,60W 5A BUENNUS 24V DC to DC 12V Power Transformer Turn 24V Trucks Cigarette Lighter Male Plug to 12V Female Socket Adapter for 12V" ($25.99)

This step down converter has a 24V male cigarette lighter (banana) plug an one end and a 12 volt female cigarette lighter plug at the other.  You can cut off the male end and replace it with an Italian 3-pin Type L plug so it fits into the fan outlets and the outlets at the nav station and adjacent to the companionway stairs.  I just use a Italian 3-pin to cigarette lighter pig tail that I made up.  With this I can use 12 volt accessories anywhere in the boat where there is a 24 volt outlet.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Wickford, Rhode Island

Matt Salatino
 

Good idea!

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 3, 2019, at 12:11 PM, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

I often hang a light-sensitive David Megalight 6 feet above the cockpit while at anchor.  I provide the 12 volts required with this item from Amazon:

"24V to 12V Step Down Converter,60W 5A BUENNUS 24V DC to DC 12V Power Transformer Turn 24V Trucks Cigarette Lighter Male Plug to 12V Female Socket Adapter for 12V" ($25.99)

This step down converter has a 24V male cigarette lighter (banana) plug an one end and a 12 volt female cigarette lighter plug at the other.  You can cut off the male end and replace it with an Italian 3-pin Type L plug so it fits into the fan outlets and the outlets at the nav station and adjacent to the companionway stairs.  I just use a Italian 3-pin to cigarette lighter pig tail that I made up.  With this I can use 12 volt accessories anywhere in the boat where there is a 24 volt outlet.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Wickford, Rhode Island

Matt Salatino
 

We found these, that work on 12 or 24 volt input (8-30).
The lowest price I saw was on eBay.

On Oct 3, 2019, at 12:11 PM, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

I often hang a light-sensitive David Megalight 6 feet above the cockpit while at anchor.  I provide the 12 volts required with this item from Amazon:

"24V to 12V Step Down Converter,60W 5A BUENNUS 24V DC to DC 12V Power Transformer Turn 24V Trucks Cigarette Lighter Male Plug to 12V Female Socket Adapter for 12V" ($25.99)

This step down converter has a 24V male cigarette lighter (banana) plug an one end and a 12 volt female cigarette lighter plug at the other.  You can cut off the male end and replace it with an Italian 3-pin Type L plug so it fits into the fan outlets and the outlets at the nav station and adjacent to the companionway stairs.  I just use a Italian 3-pin to cigarette lighter pig tail that I made up.  With this I can use 12 volt accessories anywhere in the boat where there is a 24 volt outlet.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Wickford, Rhode Island

Mark Pitt
 

I use the Anker PowerDrive 5 USB chargers with 5 ports and 24  volt capabiliiy (actually 12-30 volts).  They come with a 2 foot wire connecting the charger and cigarette plug so it reaches further.  I am not sure if there are sold any longer.  But Jelley Comb has a 6 port charger with the same input voltages on Amazon for $12.74. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0141Y4IRG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B0141Y4IRG&pd_rd_w=Gx6Q4&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=qYZqq&pf_rd_r=K3H3Q1GQ5W51A7A3XPSC&pd_rd_r=18e903f5-e704-47de-a951-5131590be64a&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNDVaR0E3T0tROEZRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDYwOTU2M0s4ODUzUlVBMFpYSiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTE4Njg0M0lMR1UxTzZJV1RTTyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Mark

"Sabbatical III" SM419, Wickford, Rhode Island


On 10/3/2019 12:54 PM, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io wrote:
We found these, that work on 12 or 24 volt input (8-30).
The lowest price I saw was on eBay.
https://www.ravpower.com/p/ravpower-24w-4.8a-dual-usb-car-adapter.html

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 3, 2019, at 12:11 PM, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

I often hang a light-sensitive David Megalight 6 feet above the cockpit while at anchor.  I provide the 12 volts required with this item from Amazon:

"24V to 12V Step Down Converter,60W 5A BUENNUS 24V DC to DC 12V Power Transformer Turn 24V Trucks Cigarette Lighter Male Plug to 12V Female Socket Adapter for 12V" ($25.99)

This step down converter has a 24V male cigarette lighter (banana) plug an one end and a 12 volt female cigarette lighter plug at the other.  You can cut off the male end and replace it with an Italian 3-pin Type L plug so it fits into the fan outlets and the outlets at the nav station and adjacent to the companionway stairs.  I just use a Italian 3-pin to cigarette lighter pig tail that I made up.  With this I can use 12 volt accessories anywhere in the boat where there is a 24 volt outlet.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Wickford, Rhode Island

Mark Pitt
 

The cleanest way to make up a pig tail for the 24 volt outlets is to buy a molded Italian Type L wire and cut off one end.  The last one I made up used this from ebay:

DELL 6FT 3-PRONG TYPE L 10A 220V ITALY CHILE AC POWER ADAPTER CORD CABLE 23322

that costs only $5.39 including shipping.  It cheaper than a Btinico Italian Type L plug and because the plug is molded to the wire, there is no issue with moisture.  The cigarette lighter plugs are easy to find everywhere,  I have purchased 12 volt extensions and cut off the male plug ends so both ends of the pig tail are molded and weatherproof.

Mark Pit
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Wickford, Rhode Island

Dean Gillies
 

Hi Thomas,
Since your current requirement is negligible you could steal 12V from one of the 12V instruments, but that is a really messy solution in my opinion.

Like others, I installed a 24/12 DCDC Converter module in that cupboard and used it to power 12V outlets.  I used the Victron Orion TR 24-12-5 (60W) module. This is non-isolated, but that’s probably not an issue for your requirement.

Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

 

 

I really like the Victron Energy Orion-Tr 24DC-12DC 20 Amp Converter (Isolated). It can be programmed as a simple 24-12 volt converter, or can even be used as a charger for the 12V starting battery. Even in the Isolated version, these are less than $100.

Bill
--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   


On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 1:22 PM SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:
Hi Thomas,
Since your current requirement is negligible you could steal 12V from one of the 12V instruments, but that is a really messy solution in my opinion.

Like others, I installed a 24/12 DCDC Converter module in that cupboard and used it to power 12V outlets.  I used the Victron Orion TR 24-12-5 (60W) module. This is non-isolated, but that’s probably not an issue for your requirement.

Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

 

Dean Gillies
 

I agree with Bill R. If you need the power, that’s a great converter. I installed one to support my engine start battery while using my SSB from 12V.
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

Sv Garulfo
 


Thanks all for your replies, i will look into a converter then.

Best,

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia 



On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 20:01, SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:
I agree with Bill R. If you need the power, that’s a great converter. I installed one to support my engine start battery while using my SSB from 12V.
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154