Topics

Companionway screen


Mark Pitt
 

The problem with inserting an insect screen into the vertical companionway slider is that the solid dodger impedes insertion and removal of a hull height screen.  I recently ordered and received a custom screen that has sufficient flex that it easily bends backwards to clear the dodger. The frame is made from "spring steel."  I ordered it from https://flexscreen.us/.  You need to send them your measurements (up to the 1/16th of an inch).  In my SM, the companionway is a bit narrower at the bottom than at the top.  So make an allowance for that.  The track for the slider is sufficiently deep that the screen still fits snugly. The screen is easy to remove from inside or outside the boat.  Its not cheap ($75) but a second screen is 20% off.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III", SM419, Wickford, Rhode Island, USA


Denise McGovern
 

Sound good.  Can you post a photo?
 
Denise McGovern
CARA, SM440, Chesapeake Bay


Mark Pitt
 

Will do tomorrow.

On 10/3/2019 12:39 PM, Denise McGovern wrote:
Sound good.  Can you post a photo?
 
Denise McGovern
CARA, SM440, Chesapeake Bay


Arlo
 

Why not just use a two piece screen (2 screens that are 1/2 the companionway height ) with or without a hinge?


Rick Grimes
 

Here’s our solution: Stitched a weighty stainless steel chain into no-see-em screen...(Did the same for all hatches.) Works great; easy to store away.


SV Rascal ASM2K #404



--
Rick & Linda Grimes
S/V Rascal ( http://svrascal.com/rascal-listing )
2003 ASM2K #404


Mark Pitt
 

Here are photos of the full height companionway screen made from "spring steel."  One could, of course, get two smaller rigid screens but I think that this has a cleaner look and may be less expensive than two smaller custom screens.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Rhode Island, USA


Stephen Davis
 

That is a very nice way to go. You don't happen to have the measurements that you gave them.

Thanks,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Hawaii

On Oct 5, 2019, at 7:31 AM, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Here are photos of the full height companionway screen made from "spring steel."  One could, of course, get two smaller rigid screens but I think that this has a cleaner look and may be less expensive than two smaller custom screens.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Rhode Island, USA
<IMG_0102.jpg>
<IMG_0103.jpg>
<IMG_0105.jpg>


Mark Pitt
 

Hi Steve,
  
I ordered a screen with these dimensions (in inches):

Width:  24 7/8
Height: 30 5/8

I would recommend reducing the width by 1/8 or 3/16 as my screen bows slightly at the base. The height get right up to the top slider.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Rhode Island, USA


karkauai
 

Hi Mark,
Where do you stow it when not in use?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 6, 2019, at 1:40 PM, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,
  
I ordered a screen with these dimensions (in inches):

Width:  24 7/8
Height: 30 5/8

I would recommend reducing the width by 1/8 or 3/16 as my screen bows slightly at the base. The height get right up to the top slider.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Rhode Island, USA


Matt Salatino
 

Just to interject, this is from my previous boat, a Moody.
The previous owner installed it in Trinidad, more than 20 years ago. It’s been working very well, all these years. Rolls up, completely out of the way, very easy to deploy, very easy to stow, easy ingress and egress when deployed. Couldn’t ask for more. I sold the boat last June, and the new owners still use it.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

Begin forwarded message:

Photos taken by new owner for me...
image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
Stowed

~~~⛵️~~~Matt


Stephen Davis
 

Thanks Mark. 

Steve
Aloha SM 72

On Oct 6, 2019, at 07:40, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,
  
I ordered a screen with these dimensions (in inches):

Width:  24 7/8
Height: 30 5/8

I would recommend reducing the width by 1/8 or 3/16 as my screen bows slightly at the base. The height get right up to the top slider.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Rhode Island, USA


Mark Erdos
 

hatch closed.JPGhatch open.JPG

 

I am of the mindset, the simpler the better. We made this companionway screen for Cream Puff from scraps we had left from a full cockpit screen enclosure we made. Some places we have visited were quite buggy and having the cockpit screened in allowed us to still enjoy the topside without applying massive amounts of insect repellant. Pics of the full enclosure can be seen here: https://www.creampuff.us/2016/03/off-insect-spray-the-unofficial-perfume-of-the-bahamas/

 

The companionway screen stays up almost all of the time when we are not sailing. It is constructed of pet-proof screen (available at most hardware stores. The screen is fastened with two snaps at the top corners. We sewed a vinyl border on to stiffen the screen. In the lower hem is a PVC pipe filled with sand to weight it. It is very easy to flip up out of the way when wishing to exit the interior of the boat. Works like a charm. The screen also give us some privacy below when stern in at a marina.

 

 

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

 

 


Mark Pitt
 

Hi Kent,

   I just got it so I have little experience with stowing it.  I saved the flat cardboard box it came it and now store it in the box on top of the battery compartment berth where awkward items seem to get stored.  I think it can slide into the life raft locker.

   Mark

Sabbatical III, SM419, Rhode Island, USA

On 10/6/2019 1:49 PM, karkauai via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Mark,
Where do you stow it when not in use?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 6, 2019, at 1:40 PM, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,
  
I ordered a screen with these dimensions (in inches):

Width:  24 7/8
Height: 30 5/8

I would recommend reducing the width by 1/8 or 3/16 as my screen bows slightly at the base. The height get right up to the top slider.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Rhode Island, USA


karkauai
 

Thanks Mark

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 7, 2019, at 11:15 AM, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

   I just got it so I have little experience with stowing it.  I saved the flat cardboard box it came it and now store it in the box on top of the battery compartment berth where awkward items seem to get stored.  I think it can slide into the life raft locker.

   Mark

Sabbatical III, SM419, Rhode Island, USA

On 10/6/2019 1:49 PM, karkauai via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Mark,
Where do you stow it when not in use?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 6, 2019, at 1:40 PM, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,
  
I ordered a screen with these dimensions (in inches):

Width:  24 7/8
Height: 30 5/8

I would recommend reducing the width by 1/8 or 3/16 as my screen bows slightly at the base. The height get right up to the top slider.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Rhode Island, USA


Ric <ric@...>
 

May I chime in? I have a 2 roll up companionway covers. One is a blackout cover that  snaps on & rolls down to allow crew to turn on lights  below without the loss of night vision for watch. The other.is a roll down screen that snaps in place at top. Both 1 piece and rolls up for easy storage. Screen has cloth edges for snaps & weights at bottom. 
Bali Hai Annapolis 
Currently for sale


Ric Gottschalk
Kitchen Magic Refacers, Inc

No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of Kitchen Magic Refacers, Inc without express written confirmation by a Officer of the Corporation

On Oct 7, 2019, at 11:14 AM, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:



Hi Kent,

   I just got it so I have little experience with stowing it.  I saved the flat cardboard box it came it and now store it in the box on top of the battery compartment berth where awkward items seem to get stored.  I think it can slide into the life raft locker.

   Mark

Sabbatical III, SM419, Rhode Island, USA

On 10/6/2019 1:49 PM, karkauai via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Mark,
Where do you stow it when not in use?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 6, 2019, at 1:40 PM, Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,
  
I ordered a screen with these dimensions (in inches):

Width:  24 7/8
Height: 30 5/8

I would recommend reducing the width by 1/8 or 3/16 as my screen bows slightly at the base. The height get right up to the top slider.

Mark Pitt
"Sabbatical III" SM419, Rhode Island, USA