Topics

Important Update Re: No steering parts, rack & pinion, cables, from Amel

Eamonn and all others:

The following is from the Manager of SAV in La Rochelle:

The reality is that Italian steering rack manufacturer has decided to stop this production without warning.

We are working to find an alternative.

If you need steering parts, please email SAV"at"Amel.fr

Bill
--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 2:00 AM Eamonn Washington <eamonn.washington@...> wrote:
I don’t know about the 54, but on the Super Maramu I oil the chain (between the drive unit and the wheel) every 6 months or so, and ensure that the rods attached to the quadrant are well greased (so they can slide into the tube).

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Denia, Spain.

All SN, SM & 54 owners:

If you recall, one owner attempted to order steering rack and/or cable parts from Amel and was told the parts were no longer available. As soon as I read this, I got in touch with Amel, who told me Ultraflex, the Italian rack and cable manufacturer, abruptly and without notice stopped production of these parts. I asked Amel for some help and they said that they were working on a solution. I continued to follow-up with Uflex, the US distributor for Ultraflex, Italy. I asked Uflex USA to get involved with Ultraflex and push them for a solution. I promised all of you that I would post any results here.

The following is from Uflex USA. If you need/want replacement steering rack or cable parts, you should probably order them now from SAV"at"Amel.fr. It seems as though the steering rack normally lasts 20+ years. Cables usually last longer. Without replacement parts you will be forced to install a major steering change.
Email message to me from Uflex USA:
Ultraflex, Italy is in contact with Chantier Amel in France, apparently they will be able to supply them a last batch of cables.
Uflex USA, Inc.

6442 Parkland Drive

Sarasota, FL 34243

www.uflexusa.com

Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

Thanks Bill for your service

Best Elja

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Mark McGovern

Bill,

Just to clarify, Ultraflex is committing to make one last batch of cables ONLY?  What about the rack and pinion gears?  From reading posts on steering failures on this forum it seems that the racks are prone to failure - even if their failure is preceded, and potentially caused by, cable failures.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Mark,

I believe that the US distributor probably misstated what Ultraflex is doing, but since I am not speaking directly to Ultraflex, I cannot know for sure. Since Thierry BILLARD, manager of SAV at Amel is in discussions with Ultraflex, I feel it is improper for me to get directly involved. The answer to your question will come from an owner ordering the racks from Amel. I am sure we will know more soon.

--

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:13 PM Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:
Bill,

Just to clarify, Ultraflex is committing to make one last batch of cables ONLY?  What about the rack and pinion gears?  From reading posts on steering failures on this forum it seems that the racks are prone to failure - even if their failure is preceded, and potentially caused by, cable failures.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

karkauai

Thank you for doing this leg work Bill.

My steering functions, feels, and sounds fine.  Kristy is 19 years old and we are embarking on a planned Caribbean, S Pacific and Mediterranean cruise in a few weeks.
If you were in my shoes, would you order these spares now?  Would you carry them with you?

Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243

On Nov 13, 2019, at 2:13 PM, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Bill,

Just to clarify, Ultraflex is committing to make one last batch of cables ONLY?  What about the rack and pinion gears?  From reading posts on steering failures on this forum it seems that the racks are prone to failure - even if their failure is preceded, and potentially caused by, cable failures.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Mark McGovern

Bill,

Understood.

Thanks,
Mark
--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

rob dillmann

Dear Bill,

Are these cables the same as those used in an Amel Mango?

Best regards,
Rob Dillmann
Westwind Mango 43

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 13 nov. 2019 om 12:09 heeft CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

I am not sure, but I believe there is a good chance they are the same. check with SAV"at"Amel.fr

--

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 2:17 PM rob dillmann <rob.dillmann@...> wrote:
[...]

I realize that I was probably too conservative when I stated that "the steering rack normally lasts 20+ years." I think with very few exceptions, the rack has lasted closer to 30 years, than 20 years.

And, more importantly, I believe the smoother that autopilot shifts from port to starboard, the longer the rack will last. In the past 10-15 years most autopilots that I have seen have improved dramatically in the smoothing of this shift. For instance, when BeBe, SM387 was new, there was a Raymarine 400G course computer installed. I later installed the next generation of course computers, the Raymarine S3. There was a dramatic difference. Also, most 54's have Furuno autopilots with hydraulic steering. The hydraulic ram's shift is much smoother than the Raymarine electric motor drives. It is likely that 54s with Furuno hydraulic steering may never have the issue shown in the photo below. I believe that this extraordinary mid-rack wear is cause by the abrupt shift we find from older autopilots.
The rack below is worn in the center.

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

James Alton

Bill,

  That is interesting speculation about the smoothness of an autopilot affecting the life expectancy of the steering rack and makes sense to me.  I have also been concerned about the possible wear due to wind and wave while the boat is not underway.  I have started turning the wheel at least some off center before tying off the wheel so that the center wheel position on the rack is not being used sine this seems to be where the rack fails most often. I have found that turning the wheel fully to the stops and securing seems to remove essentially all of the movement in the steering system.  Do you or others have an opinion on what is the best course of action when securing the wheel at anchor or dockside to create the least amount of wear?

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220
Preveza,  Greece

On Nov 13, 2019, at 5:11 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

<worn out rack.JPG>

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Patrick McAneny

James , That seems like a good idea , I will begin to fix it off center.
I was wondering if the rack could be rehabbed ,is the rack cast metal or could  metal be welded and teeth fashioned .
Pat
SM Shenanigans

[...]

Arno Luijten

Hi Bill,

I may have missed the answer to this question but is this rack/cables also for the 54?

Regards,

Arno
SVLuna,
A54-121

Arno,

Yes

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019, 4:52 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,

I may have missed the answer to this question but is this rack/cables also for the 54?

Regards,

Arno
SVLuna,
A54-121

hanspeter baettig

Yes this is HP from Tamango 2
I got the chance to order the last piece of Steering material, racks and pinion from SAV. I told that to Bill and SAV will look for new mybe new sources. But; my steereing last for about 50000 nm and 29 years. I did not so much sailing because I was in the med for 20 Years.
the installation took me about 2 hours at Trinidad, with the help of Marc; Dynamic Mec. Chagarumas, Port of Spain
------ Original Nachricht ------
Am Mittwoch, 13. Nov, 2019 um 20:22, CW Bill Rouse schrieb:

[...]

Again its Hp
The problem was coming up suddenly. 20 nm befor going between moonoisland Trinidad, the steering had a problem . I turned the wheel with force and used the bow trouster to sail between the rocks to the marina Peakes. Not so nice, but no wind. I send a picture of the broken steering system to Bill. Hi will decide to post it on our Amel Forum

------ Original Nachricht ------
Am Mittwoch, 13. Nov, 2019 um 20:13, Mark McGovern schrieb:

Bill,

Just to clarify, Ultraflex is committing to make one last batch of cables ONLY?  What about the rack and pinion gears?  From reading posts on steering failures on this forum it seems that the racks are prone to failure - even if their failure is preceded, and potentially caused by, cable failures.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

I have a photo of Hanspeter's old steering rack which I will post for him in Photos. His was 29 years old and about 50,000 miles.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:13 PM Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:
Bill,

Just to clarify, Ultraflex is committing to make one last batch of cables ONLY?  What about the rack and pinion gears?  From reading posts on steering failures on this forum it seems that the racks are prone to failure - even if their failure is preceded, and potentially caused by, cable failures.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

I posted SM 16 Tamango 2 worn rack photo. This was 29 years old and 50,000 miles. You can see the rack is completely worn out.

--

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:27 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Antonio, Vagabundo SN108

Hi guys,
I follow with great interested this discussion about ultraflex.
I am in Rome and my boat is two hour to ultraflex headquarter, I call today ultraflex and I have the personal phone of his tecnician to find a common solution. My Santorin is 24 Years old and I Was thinking to change the sistem just last year.
Br
Antonio
Vagabundo SN108
In Tuscany

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 14 nov 2019, alle ore 15:58, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> ha scritto:

[...]

I am sure there are owners who would like know your solution that you worked out with the technician.

Please describe.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St