Topics

SM Bow thruster wiring diagram?

Eamonn Washington

Hi

our bow thruster suddenly decided it would not  come up. The electric motor was fine, everything was connected.  I got a local mechanic to come in and he repaired the bow thruster in his workshop.  He said that there was a rod about 20cm long with a screw thread that had completely worn out, so he made a new screw thread.

The problem appears now to be that he made the new thread the wrong way around.  We figured out by experimentation that if we switched wires 3 and 6 in the little control box that the bow thruster up and down movement worked perfectly.  However the sideways movement stopped working, so that is no good.

Does anyone know the wiring diagram of this little control box in the fore cabin on the bow thruster?  I would love to be able to fix it by swapping around a couple of wires rather than waiting  a few days for a new part to be made or waiting for a delivery from Amel (if they  have it).

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Denia, Spain.

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Hi

This is the diagram I have

Andrew

SM472

[...]

Hi thanks for the diagram.  It does not show the numbered wires in the box, but it might help.  I also contacted Amel to see if they can provide the correct jack screw.

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Denia, Spain.

Andrew, he probably has the older version.

Eamonn,

There is a micro switch inside the control box which should be controlled by the rod and attached arm.

Here is a photo of part of a page from my Amel Book that might help. My guess is that the new arm was fabricated incorrectly, or the micro switch is not working.
image.png

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 7:57 AM Andrew & Kate Lamb <andrew.lamb@...> wrote:

Hi

This is the diagram I have

Andrew

SM472

[...]

Mark McGovern

Does the PCB in the control box look like the one in the picture below:

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Eamonn Washington

Hi Mark

no, your box looks neater that my older box.  I contacted Amel but  they do not have  the 20cm jack-screws anymore.

Then we put the wires back the original way, and physically reinstalled the up/down motor upside down and all was OK!  Problem solved.

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Leaving Denia in the morning, Spain.

Eamonn Washington

Amel contacted me, they now can supply the full up down mechanism for the bow thruster including motor and wiring, with the 20cm jack screw installed.  It is 1258 euros plus 20% VAT.

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Cartagena, Spain.