Topics

New Genoa sail for Amel 54

Barry Connor

Hi Bill Rouse from Barry Connor Amel 54. #17

I have decided to replace my Genoa before I cross the Atlantic.

I think that you recommend and have a good contact with Q sails in Turkey. The original Amel supplied Genoa has been very hardy and worked well.
I don't want to buy a less quality sail. I think that the original Genoa sail supplied by Amel was called Hydra-net?

Can you advise the best sail for cruising? We will be doing our circumnavigation for the next 5 years.

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"S/V Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54. #17
Almerimar Marina,  Spain

Paul Brown

Hi Barry, I had a long discussion with one of the main sail designers of Incendence sails at the Cannes boat show, I expect they can arrange a great replacement as they have been installing sails to Amel for years, the sails on Fortuna are great and so strong they should last for many years. I believe they have all specs required for your 54 by hull number

Perhaps you will then sail as fast as a 55 :-)

Worth the conversion

Regards Paul - Fortuna II 55/17

On 13 Oct 2019, at 12:14 pm, Barry Connor via Groups.Io <connor_barry@...> wrote:

Hi Bill Rouse from Barry Connor Amel 54. #17

I have decided to replace my Genoa before I cross the Atlantic.

I think that you recommend and have a good contact with Q sails in Turkey. The original Amel supplied Genoa has been very hardy and worked well.
I don't want to buy a less quality sail. I think that the original Genoa sail supplied by Amel was called Hydra-net?

Can you advise the best sail for cruising? We will be doing our circumnavigation for the next 5 years.

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"S/V Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54. #17
Almerimar Marina,  Spain

Barry,

They have shipped sails to over 40 Amel owners located at all points around the world. QSails is run by the 2nd generation of the Oge family, Emrah Oge <emrahoge at qsails.com>. I toured their 60,000 square foot loft in Izmir, Turkey and met all of the family and some of the workers. We designed 3 qualities of QSails for A54s including German-made HydraNet. Emrah supports the Amel Yacht Owners Group and has a advertisement on the group's WiKi page at https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/wiki/home. Email or call Emrah and ask him about the HydraNet Genoa that Bill Rouse recommends for your 54. Note: I do not own any part of QSails and receive zero from QSails. I also purchased a full set of HydraNet sails for our SM from QSails.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 5:14 AM Barry Connor via Groups.Io <connor_barry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill Rouse from Barry Connor Amel 54. #17

I have decided to replace my Genoa before I cross the Atlantic.

I think that you recommend and have a good contact with Q sails in Turkey. The original Amel supplied Genoa has been very hardy and worked well.
I don't want to buy a less quality sail. I think that the original Genoa sail supplied by Amel was called Hydra-net?

Can you advise the best sail for cruising? We will be doing our circumnavigation for the next 5 years.

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"S/V Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54. #17
Almerimar Marina,  Spain

Joerg Esdorn

Hi Barry, the A55 comes with Incidences sails made from Hydranet.  I have seen a lot of sails over my racing career and these are outstanding. No a single stitching has opened, no chafe, shape is still good.  Incidences I believe supplies a lot of sails for the French Open 60 fleet and they seem to know a thing or two about building durable sails.  If they’re not a lot more expensive than the competition, I will buy new sails for my boat from them.  Luckily, after 11000 miles they dare still excellent sails.  Cheers. Joerg

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem

Arnold Mente

Hi Barry, I was asking for a offer to SM last year. Incidence is answering very fast and keep in mind in autumn they are make a discount with 10%!!!

Arnold Mente
SY Zephyr
SM203

Am 14.10.2019 um 15:26 schrieb Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...>:

Hi Barry, the A55 comes with Incidences sails made from Hydranet.  I have seen a lot of sails over my racing career and these are outstanding. No a single stitching has opened, no chafe, shape is still good.  Incidences I believe supplies a lot of sails for the French Open 60 fleet and they seem to know a thing or two about building durable sails.  If they’re not a lot more expensive than the competition, I will buy new sails for my boat from them.  Luckily, after 11000 miles they dare still excellent sails.  Cheers. Joerg

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem

--
SY Zephyr SM203

Barry Connor

Hi Joerg,

Thank's for the answer/post and information.
I remember seeing both your and Paul's sails, I didn't know that they were Hydranet.
The quotes from Incidences and Q Sails are really much the same, both recommending Hydranet.
I just know my Genoa will not last another few years and would like to replace it before too long. I am planning on using our new Parasailor for the crossings, I really don't like the pole on the 54. Paul got me to use it on our run from Tunisia to Sardinia and it was difficult.

Very Best Regards

Barry and Penny
"S/V Lady Penelope II"
Amel. 54. #17
Almerimar, Spain

On Monday, October 14, 2019, 2:43:10 PM GMT+1, Arnold Mente via Groups.Io <Arnold.mente@...> wrote:

[...]

Wow Joerg, 11,000nm already - your a keen sailor

I’m really happy with my Incidences sails, they are so tough and showing no real ware after 6.5 years and after I think about 7500nm, I’m ordering probably a code 0 and a cruising Shute from them tailored for my 55 which should be great for light wind easy sailing

Regards, Paul... Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Oct 2019, at 00:26, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Hi Barry, the A55 comes with Incidences sails made from Hydranet.  I have seen a lot of sails over my racing career and these are outstanding. No a single stitching has opened, no chafe, shape is still good.  Incidences I believe supplies a lot of sails for the French Open 60 fleet and they seem to know a thing or two about building durable sails.  If they’re not a lot more expensive than the competition, I will buy new sails for my boat from them.  Luckily, after 11000 miles they dare still excellent sails.  Cheers. Joerg

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem

Paul Osterberg

I'm in the process of ordering sails most likely Radial Hydranet from Incidences. One concern I have they do not do Foam luff, they claim it's no good. Now my questions to you who have incidences genoas, Do you have foam luff? if not, does it furl/reef well?
Paul SY Kerpa SM#259 wintering in Lagos

I truly believe that a foam luff is needed on an Amel furling foresail, especially if you ever plan to reef the sail.

--

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:52 AM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
I'm in the process of ordering sails most likely Radial Hydranet from Incidences. One concern I have they do not do Foam luff, they claim it's no good. Now my questions to you who have incidences genoas, Do you have foam luff? if not, does it furl/reef well?
Paul SY Kerpa SM#259 wintering in Lagos

Ian Townsend

Make sure that Incidences cuts your mainsail to the proper size. The previous owner commissioned from Incidences and the "P" dimension (luff) was 45 cm too short. As a result the "E" (foot) was also incorrect.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
US East Coast

On Oct 14, 2019, at 6:59 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I truly believe that a foam luff is needed on an Amel furling foresail, especially if you ever plan to reef the sail.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:52 AM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
I'm in the process of ordering sails most likely Radial Hydranet from Incidences. One concern I have they do not do Foam luff, they claim it's no good. Now my questions to you who have incidences genoas, Do you have foam luff? if not, does it furl/reef well?
Paul SY Kerpa SM#259 wintering in Lagos

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Paul,

I ahree with Bill

 The foam luff is essential. I find sailmakers resist putting them in and suggest altenatives. I can only assume the foam luff is more difficult. My advice. Insist on the foam luff.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 15 October 2019 at 05:52 Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

I'm in the process of ordering sails most likely Radial Hydranet from Incidences. One concern I have they do not do Foam luff, they claim it's no good. Now my questions to you who have incidences genoas, Do you have foam luff? if not, does it furl/reef well?
Paul SY Kerpa SM#259 wintering in Lagos

Alan Leslie

If you intend to sail with the genoa partly furled you definitely need a foam or rope luff insert.
Even with these the sail shape is not great when furled but it's definitely better than not having it.
The sail shape doesn't look too bad from the cockpit, but have a look at a yacht sailing behind you with a furled genoa and you'll see how baggy it is, whoich wehne the breeze gets up, is exactly what you don't want!
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Alan,

I cant agree that a rope insert is a viable option. I have had it foisted on me by sailmakers in the past. It does not do the job. A properly made foam insert is tapered at the ends and full in the middle. This takes up the fullness in the center of the sail and maintains good sail shape.It is important that the thickness of the foam is comensurate with the cut of the sail.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 15 October 2019 at 20:11 Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:

If you intend to sail with the genoa partly furled you definitely need a foam or rope luff insert.
Even with these the sail shape is not great when furled but it's definitely better than not having it.
The sail shape doesn't look too bad from the cockpit, but have a look at a yacht sailing behind you with a furled genoa and you'll see how baggy it is, whoich wehne the breeze gets up, is exactly what you don't want!
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Barry Connor

Hi Danny,
I do have foam luffs in my main sail but can’t see any in the original supplied Genoa.
Is it good to also have foam luffs in the Genoa?
Best

Barry and Penny
“S/V Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Almerimar, Spain

On Oct 15, 2019, at 12:00, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Barry,

Yes, the genoa should have a foam luff. As i said before sailmakers seem to resist puttig them in but you cannot have good sail shape partially furled without. The same applies to any luff furling sail, it is to do with the greater fullness in the middle of the sail  as it furls the foam luff takes it up. However i am surprised you have it on the main. I would have thought there would not be room in the mast to allow this. I have just accepted the poorer main shape partially furled.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 16 October 2019 at 04:00 "Barry Connor via Groups.Io" <connor_barry@...> wrote:

[...]

There shouldn't be a foam luff on the mail, as Danny says, it wouldn't fit inside the mast, there's barel;y enough room for the plain sail when it's wound into the mast. The shape issue with the main is not nearly as bad as the genoa issue as the main is wound around a vertical rod in the mast. The genoa suffers because it's on a stay which sags more and more as the wind gets up and on an SM there is no backstay tension adjustment which would help.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437