Topics

Outhaul

Paul, I understand. However, if there were a source for the worm & spur gear, the gearbox could certainly be rebuilt. Amel previously stocked the Bronze Spur gear. They either made a decision to stop stocking it, or it became unavailable. I always thought that it was problematic for Amel to sell the bronze spur gear, because possibly the harder worm gear could also damaged. This would cause owners to be unhappy with the purchase of one, then having to purchase a second.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:33 AM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Bill!
Sorry for my lack of knowledge I thought the whole gear box was called a worm gear, anyhow I would like to have a whole gear box as a spare, not only the Spur gear
Paul

Paul Osterberg

Bill!
Sorry for my lack of knowledge I thought the whole gear box was called a worm gear, anyhow I would like to have a whole gear box as a spare, not only the Spur gear
Paul

Paul,

Normally it is the Spur Gear that wears out.
image.png

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:02 AM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
I have a few questions about the Outhaul
1. How do I secure that I got a water tight connection between the Electric motor and the gear box? see picture there is no gasket
2. What shall I use to "lubricate" the shaft with to avoid it get stuck again? Of course I will loosen it on a regular basis for "lubrication"
3. Anyone know where I can buy a new Leroy Somer worm gear see picture . Amel ask 730 € plus VAT and freight that will exceed 1000 € not reasonable

Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 Wintering in Lagos, Portugal

Paul Osterberg