Topics

SM2K: Replacing a CLIMMA 9EH AC unit in the Salon #replacement

Nick,

Congratulations! I know the SMs on either side of 476. 

BTW, I travel the world. I have clients in France, all of Europe, New Zealand, Australia, USA, and many other places. I travelled to New Caledonia to train an owner new to Amel.

If it is impossible to repair (I doubt that), I would buy another Climma Compact Unit. Climma Compact Units routinely last 20 years, yet there are those that change brands because if failed. Climma and Frigoboat, both VECO companies, were Henri Amels choice. I think he was right.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 8:59 AM Nicolas Klene via Groups.Io <laixoi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Everybody
I am please to annonce that since this morning , I am the proud owner of the SM n° 476 ! My first ever boat !
It comes with a broken Climma 9EH AC unit in the salon as suspected  by Olivier during the survey ! 
It might only be the compressor, but a technicien suggested to change it all.
I will look into the Webasto unit 
Bill I wished you lived in the south of France, I have sooo much to lurn  !
Nick
SM.476

Steven Nieman

No problem Nick, enjoy your Amel. 

kindest regards,

steven

eric freedman

The unit took me about 2 hours to install. I installed mine in the aft cabin .On 90 degree days it can cool my cabin like a meat locker.
There is larger unit if you think you need more BTU'S, It is the same size. The thermostat is digital and whats really great as it has a phone type cord connecting the sensor on the coil to the thermostat.
Fair Winds,
Eric

On October 18, 2019 at 3:30 PM "Nicolas Klene via Groups.Io" <laixoi@...> wrote:

Hi Eric 
Sorry to come back to you  but the following model is 8000 BTU even if it's called 6K ?
I guess plug & play didn't require adjurent size wize under the sofa ?
By the way i'm not the proud owner of SM 476 ,Steven is ,mine is SM 471!
Sorry Steven
Nick
SV "TO BE NAMED SOON" 
SM471
Dometic model DTU 6k 230 vac 60 hz 410

Nicolas Klene

Hi Eric 
Sorry to come back to you  but the following model is 8000 BTU even if it's called 6K ?
I guess plug & play didn't require adjurent size wize under the sofa ?
By the way i'm not the proud owner of SM 476 ,Steven is ,mine is SM 471!
Sorry Steven
Nick
SV "TO BE NAMED SOON" 
SM471
Dometic model DTU 6k 230 vac 60 hz 410

Nicolas Klene

Hello Everybody
I am please to annonce that since this morning , I am the proud owner of the SM n° 476 ! My first ever boat !
It comes with a broken Climma 9EH AC unit in the salon as suspected  by Olivier during the survey ! 
It might only be the compressor, but a technicien suggested to change it all.
I will look into the Webasto unit 
Bill I wished you lived in the south of France, I have sooo much to lurn  !
Nick
SM.476

Ian Townsend

We installed a Webasto 10,000 BTU unit. Note that most other manufacturers do not outwardly state their units are dual cycle (so they don't have to replace parts under warranty). Webasto does. They also have a wide support network and are less expensive. 

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II 
SM153
US East Coast

On Oct 17, 2019, at 5:05 AM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Bob,

Sorry it is 8k BTU. It works too well.

Dometic model DTU 6k 230 vac 60 hz 410  IT WORKS ON 50 AND 60 hz.

SXM digital display and cxp control cable.

total cost a few years ago was about 2500-.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Ross via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:35 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] SM2K: Replacing a CLIMMA 9EH AC unit in the Salon #replacement #replacement

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the lead on an almost “plug and play”  idea with Dometic 10.
Can you share some model details?
model number, power, supplier, etc.
Much appreciated
Bob
Nomad Amel Super Maramu #362
Trinidad

eric freedman

Hi Bob,

Sorry it is 8k BTU. It works too well.

Dometic model DTU 6k 230 vac 60 hz 410  IT WORKS ON 50 AND 60 hz.

SXM digital display and cxp control cable.

total cost a few years ago was about 2500-.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Ross via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:35 PM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] SM2K: Replacing a CLIMMA 9EH AC unit in the Salon #replacement #replacement

Hi Eric,
Much appreciated
Bob
Trinidad

Bob Ross

Hi Eric,
Much appreciated
Bob
Trinidad

Gary Wells

I had the forward unit give me fits with tripping the main breaker and it turned out (eventually) to be bad corrosion on the lower connection on the heater coil.
Once I clipped and sealed the heater wires the air conditioner worked fine with no further issue.

So, we've been fine without a heater and the.ac is not tripping anything now.

I'm definitely looking to replace the units next year so I'll gladly follow along with what you decide. 

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Maryland. 

Mark & Debbie Mueller

The Climma utilizes an electric heating element, a number of other brands utilize a heat pump or reverse cycle system that requires the A/C raw water pump to run when in the heating mode.  If you have a preference check it out first.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Stephen Davis

We replaced our main salon and aft unit with Marine Air by Dometic in June 2014. Both are still working well, and so far, zero issues. 

Steve
Aloha SM 72
Hawaii

On Oct 14, 2019, at 18:33, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Michael we replaced ours

with a Dometic 10-

Almost plug and play.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Mueller via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 10:53 PM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] SM2K: Replacing a CLIMMA 9EH AC unit in the Salon #replacement #replacement

Greetings!

Our CLIMMA 9EH AC unit in the Salon of SM2K #417 has failed. The compressor has a ground fault and trips the GFI.
Has anyone successfully replaced the unit or rebuilt the compressor?
We are currently not on the boat.
Does the Webasto Blue Cool S S10-R-230VREV (10k BTU) or even the S13-R-230V (13k BTU) unit fit in the available space under the salon bench?
At the Annapolis sailboat show a vendor with a good reputation in the Marine AC business recommended the "Marine Air"  built in China as a viable replacement.
Does anyone have experiences with either one?

Thank you in advance & with kind regards
Michael & Robyn
SY RIPPLE SM2K#417 currently in Brunswick, GA

eric freedman

Michael we replaced ours

with a Dometic 10-

Almost plug and play.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Mueller via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 10:53 PM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] SM2K: Replacing a CLIMMA 9EH AC unit in the Salon #replacement #replacement

Greetings!

Our CLIMMA 9EH AC unit in the Salon of SM2K #417 has failed. The compressor has a ground fault and trips the GFI.
Does the Webasto Blue Cool S S10-R-230VREV (10k BTU) or even the S13-R-230V (13k BTU) unit fit in the available space under the salon bench?
At the Annapolis sailboat show a vendor with a good reputation in the Marine AC business recommended the "Marine Air"  built in China as a viable replacement.

Michael & Robyn

Matt Salatino

We lived aboard our previous boat in Florida. Air conditioning was a requirement, running pretty much non-stop through the summer. In 18 years, we went through 3 brands. Marine air was the first. It lasted 7 years, with several control board failures, two capacitive start failures, and the final straw, a compressor failure. I tried to economize on the second one. It lasted 4 years, first with a fan motor failure, a reversing valve failure, with a factory defect in a cable shorting the unit and causing catastrophic failure.
I then went for the best unit I could find. I bought a Mermaid Air, because of good reviews from a friend, and a 5 year warranty. It’s been doing fine for 5 years, so far. I sold the boat with it still working.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 14, 2019, at 10:53 PM, Michael Mueller via Groups.Io <mijmu5@...> wrote:

Greetings!

Michael & Robyn

Michael Mueller

Greetings!

Michael & Robyn