Topics

SM2K: Replacing a CLIMMA 9EH AC unit in the Salon #replacement

Nick,

Congratulations! I know the SMs on either side of 476.

BTW, I travel the world. I have clients in France, all of Europe, New Zealand, Australia, USA, and many other places. I travelled to New Caledonia to train an owner new to Amel.

If it is impossible to repair (I doubt that), I would buy another Climma Compact Unit. Climma Compact Units routinely last 20 years, yet there are those that change brands because if failed. Climma and Frigoboat, both VECO companies, were Henri Amels choice. I think he was right.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 8:59 AM Nicolas Klene via Groups.Io <laixoi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Everybody
I am please to annonce that since this morning , I am the proud owner of the SM n° 476 ! My first ever boat !
It comes with a broken Climma 9EH AC unit in the salon as suspected  by Olivier during the survey !
It might only be the compressor, but a technicien suggested to change it all.
I will look into the Webasto unit
Bill I wished you lived in the south of France, I have sooo much to lurn  !
Nick
SM.476

Steven Nieman

No problem Nick, enjoy your Amel.

kindest regards,

steven

eric freedman

The unit took me about 2 hours to install. I installed mine in the aft cabin .On 90 degree days it can cool my cabin like a meat locker.
There is larger unit if you think you need more BTU'S, It is the same size. The thermostat is digital and whats really great as it has a phone type cord connecting the sensor on the coil to the thermostat.
Fair Winds,
Eric

On October 18, 2019 at 3:30 PM "Nicolas Klene via Groups.Io" <laixoi@...> wrote:

Hi Eric
Sorry to come back to you  but the following model is 8000 BTU even if it's called 6K ?
I guess plug & play didn't require adjurent size wize under the sofa ?
By the way i'm not the proud owner of SM 476 ,Steven is ,mine is SM 471!
Sorry Steven
Nick
SV "TO BE NAMED SOON"
SM471
Dometic model DTU 6k 230 vac 60 hz 410

Nicolas Klene

[...]

Ian Townsend

We installed a Webasto 10,000 BTU unit. Note that most other manufacturers do not outwardly state their units are dual cycle (so they don't have to replace parts under warranty). Webasto does. They also have a wide support network and are less expensive.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
US East Coast

On Oct 17, 2019, at 5:05 AM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Bob,

Sorry it is 8k BTU. It works too well.

Dometic model DTU 6k 230 vac 60 hz 410  IT WORKS ON 50 AND 60 hz.

SXM digital display and cxp control cable.

total cost a few years ago was about 2500-.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Thanks for the lead on an almost “plug and play”  idea with Dometic 10.
Can you share some model details?
model number, power, supplier, etc.
Much appreciated
Bob
Nomad Amel Super Maramu #362
Trinidad

eric freedman

Hi Bob,

Sorry it is 8k BTU. It works too well.

Dometic model DTU 6k 230 vac 60 hz 410  IT WORKS ON 50 AND 60 hz.

SXM digital display and cxp control cable.

total cost a few years ago was about 2500-.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Thanks for the lead on an almost “plug and play”  idea with Dometic 10.
Can you share some model details?
model number, power, supplier, etc.
Much appreciated
Bob
Nomad Amel Super Maramu #362
Trinidad

Bob Ross

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the lead on an almost “plug and play”  idea with Dometic 10.
Can you share some model details?
model number, power, supplier, etc.
Much appreciated
Bob
Nomad Amel Super Maramu #362
Trinidad

Gary Wells

I had the forward unit give me fits with tripping the main breaker and it turned out (eventually) to be bad corrosion on the lower connection on the heater coil.
Once I clipped and sealed the heater wires the air conditioner worked fine with no further issue.

So, we've been fine without a heater and the.ac is not tripping anything now.

I'm definitely looking to replace the units next year so I'll gladly follow along with what you decide.

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Maryland.

Mark & Debbie Mueller

The Climma utilizes an electric heating element, a number of other brands utilize a heat pump or reverse cycle system that requires the A/C raw water pump to run when in the heating mode.  If you have a preference check it out first.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Stephen Davis

We replaced our main salon and aft unit with Marine Air by Dometic in June 2014. Both are still working well, and so far, zero issues.

Steve
Aloha SM 72
Hawaii

On Oct 14, 2019, at 18:33, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote: