Topics

New Genoa sail for Amel 54 and SM

Paul Osterberg

Thank you all for advice on foam luff, but I have still not heard any comments from the one who have incidence genoa and it must be many out there who have them, does it have foam luff or not? if not how does it perform? I would be very grateful for your feed back, I added SM in the head line to maybe attract a few more members to respond
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Paul Brown

Hi Paul

I have sailed around 3500nm since last April when I purchase Fortuna II 55/17. All sails are Incidence sails and the Genoa does not have a foam luff. From my experience reefing the Genoa many times we have not had an issue with its performance and we are very satisfied and would replace with the same unless we could install a better solution.

Regards Paul  - Fortuna II 55/17

Regards, Paul... Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Oct 2019, at 23:17, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Thank you all for advice on foam luff, but I have still not heard any comments from the one who have incidence genoa and it must be many out there who have them, does it have foam luff or not? if not how does it perform? I would be very grateful for your feed back, I added SM in the head line to maybe attract a few more members to respond
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Matt Salatino

A foam luff is not relevant to sail construction. It’s relevant to how a sail rolls up on the furler. It’s required if you want to optimize performance while partially furled (reefed)....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 15, 2019, at 8:17 AM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Thank you all for advice on foam luff, but I have still not heard any comments from the one who have incidence genoa and it must be many out there who have them, does it have foam luff or not? if not how does it perform? I would be very grateful for your feed back, I added SM in the head line to maybe attract a few more members to respond
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Paul Brown

I will be asking the question to the designers of the incidence sails installed on the Post 2011 Amel’s if any were installed with a foam luff or why foam luffs were not installed on the Genoa

On 15 Oct 2019, at 23:44, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

A foam luff is not relevant to sail construction. It’s relevant to how a sail rolls up on the furler. It’s required if you want to optimize performance while partially furled (reefed)....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 15, 2019, at 8:17 AM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Thank you all for advice on foam luff, but I have still not heard any comments from the one who have incidence genoa and it must be many out there who have them, does it have foam luff or not? if not how does it perform? I would be very grateful for your feed back, I added SM in the head line to maybe attract a few more members to respond
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Peter Forbes

Paul,

I am having a genakker ( code zero) made by Incidence in La Rochelle at the moment - I will know shortly if it had foam luff.

Peter Forbes
Carango
AMEL 54 #035
0044 (0)7836 209730

On 15 Oct 2019, at 13:17, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Thank you all for advice on foam luff, but I have still not heard any comments from the one who have incidence genoa and it must be many out there who have them, does it have foam luff or not? if not how does it perform? I would be very grateful for your feed back, I added SM in the head line to maybe attract a few more members to respond
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Joerg Esdorn

My incidences Genoa does not have a foam luff.  It’s not a thing of beauty when furled but it’s good enough even for upwind work.  You can’t point as well in increased seas anyways, even in a 55.  The Leads are too far back also if you furl more than 3 marks.  So If it’s blowing 25+, I use the staysail upwind.  I have reefed that as well in more than 35 kn upwind. It looks fine.  If I did not have a staysail, I would experiment with a foam luff.  If it’s no longer working you can always replace it.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem

Alan Leslie

Generally you don;t have a foam luff in a gennaker. These sails are designed to be used reaching and downwind in light conditions.
 The foam luff is only required in a headsail that you intend to partially furl when sailing up wind in strong conditions. The foam insert helps to maintain sail shape when partially furled but it's still not the best, the sail is still far too full in the middle.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Paul Osterberg

talked with incidnce sail again, and no problem they will do the foam luff. On my current sail I had no foam luff, but had a rope sewed in and that improved the shape a lot on the genoa when furled. The sailmaker who sewed in the rope said that if one rope was not enough, one could sew in a shorter rope parallel to the first one. Understand that this is old school but it definitely made a big difference.
Paul SY Kerpa SM 259, Lagos