Topics

Back up tablet navigation aid

Rob Hughes

I just bought a new ios tablet to use as a secondary plotter. What programs are you using?  and what to stay away from. sailing the Bahamas and Caribbean.  

Matt Salatino

AquaMaps. It has active captain.
Navionics is also good.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 18, 2019, at 3:35 PM, Rob Hughes via Groups.Io <svluna01@...> wrote:

I just bought a new ios tablet to use as a secondary plotter. What programs are you using?  and what to stay away from. sailing the Bahamas and Caribbean.  

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

I use Navionics – better than my chart plotter.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rob Hughes via Groups.Io
Sent: 18 October 2019 23:36
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Back up tablet navigation aid

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Ian Townsend

We also Navionics via subscription service. 

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II 
SM153
US East Coast

On Oct 19, 2019, at 8:06 AM, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rob Hughes via Groups.Io

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Germain Jean-Pierre

Boating app from Navionics, Navionics chart on both plotters, OpenCPN WITH Google Earth charts and Ovitalmap for the shoal, bommy infested areas.

GL

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007, Fiji

On 19 Oct 2019, at 18:06, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Cheers,

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Matt Salatino

Previous boat didn’t have a chart plotter. We used OpenCPN with a waterproof, daylight readable tablet at the helm, connected via WiFi to the hardwired pc at the nav station. The NMEA bus, AIS, Radar, and autopilot were connected and viewable. We also could download animated GRIB files on the chart. We controlled the autopilot with routes. Using TeamViewer as the connecting app, we could see the screens on any device, android, Apple, or windows. With OpenCPN’s most recent update, allowing split screen, and a refined control menu, it rivals pretty much any chartplotter.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 19, 2019, at 2:06 AM, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Cheers,

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Laurie McCall

Hi Paul,

John and I attended the Navigation Apps seminar at the Annapolis Boat Show last week.

The speaker’s (a former US Coast Guard captain) top recommendation was iNavX. He based this on accuracy, integration with other navigation software (including Navionics) and (as I recall) weather software, as well as all around versatility. 

I’ve included the link here: 

I took notes and would be pleased to provide them if you’re interested, ASSUMING, that I can still find them in my collection of “show stuff” and can read my back-of-the-envelope chicken scratch! 

Laurie 

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 8:03 AM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Previous boat didn’t have a chart plotter. We used OpenCPN with a waterproof, daylight readable tablet at the helm, connected via WiFi to the hardwired pc at the nav station. The NMEA bus, AIS, Radar, and autopilot were connected and viewable. We also could download animated GRIB files on the chart. We controlled the autopilot with routes. Using TeamViewer as the connecting app, we could see the screens on any device, android, Apple, or windows. With OpenCPN’s most recent update, allowing split screen, and a refined control menu, it rivals pretty much any chartplotter.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

Cheers,

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Wolfgang Weber

Hi,
The problem with Navionics is all charts are stored in the internal storage of the tablet. It is not possible to put the charts on extra sd-cards.
As I have C-map on Furuno Navnet and Maxsea , the Navionics are good on the tablet. Navionics gave information of the inlets of the US Eastcoast where C-map shows zero !
This year a catamaran hit a reef not shown on Navionics - always have several informations in these places.Don't miss the papercharts at the Exumas, Bahamas.
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162

Courtney Gorman

I love iNavX infinitely better than my chart plotter 
Courtney 
Trippin 
54#101

On Oct 19, 2019, at 9:14 AM, Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio@...> wrote:

Hi,
The problem with Navionics is all charts are stored in the internal storage of the tablet. It is not possible to put the charts on extra sd-cards.
As I have C-map on Furuno Navnet and Maxsea , the Navionics are good on the tablet. Navionics gave information of the inlets of the US Eastcoast where C-map shows zero !
This year a catamaran hit a reef not shown on Navionics - always have several informations in these places.Don't miss the papercharts at the Exumas, Bahamas.

Peter Forbes

Yes I have both and both are useful BUT I don’t seem to be able to get tidal streams [current and direction] live time on I Navx. I have ‘Aye tides” but this only gives depths and not tidal streams live time. Europe is the area I am interested in at the moment.

Any ideas?

Peter Forbes
Carango
Amel 54 - 035
La Rochelle 
00447836 209730
07836 209730

On 19 Oct 2019, at 17:04, Courtney Gorman via Groups.Io <Itsfun1@...> wrote:

I love iNavX infinitely better than my chart plotter 
Courtney 
Trippin 
54#101

On Oct 19, 2019, at 9:14 AM, Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio@...> wrote:

Hi,

Matt Salatino

INavX is quite good.
It’s just missing Active Captain inputs, which would make it perfect!

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 19, 2019, at 8:54 AM, Laurie McCall <laurie.mcreid@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,

John and I attended the Navigation Apps seminar at the Annapolis Boat Show last week.

The speaker’s (a former US Coast Guard captain) top recommendation was iNavX. He based this on accuracy, integration with other navigation software (including Navionics) and (as I recall) weather software, as well as all around versatility. 

I’ve included the link here: 

I took notes and would be pleased to provide them if you’re interested, ASSUMING, that I can still find them in my collection of “show stuff” and can read my back-of-the-envelope chicken scratch! 

Laurie 

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 8:03 AM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

Cheers,

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Mark Erdos

Hi Paul,

We have been turned onto iSailor by other cruisers who use it. I downloaded the app and charts. It really works well. One of the very appealing features is you “rent” the charts rather than buy them at full price. The price of the rental averages about US$30 for a year and charts are automatically updated when newer versions become available.

http://www.isailor.us/

We use iSailor only as a secondary system to our main onboard ships custom PC running Nobeltec Time Zero: https://mytimezero.com/

We have used Nobeltec TZ  as our primary source for navigation since purchasing Cream Puff. We upgraded the ships PC to a solid-state computer custom built for us by Island Time PC and linked the PC to the NMEA 0183. Other aspects include integrated ActiveCaptain and AIS. In addition to a very comprehensive routing engine we have the ability to download weather and sea conditions while in-route using our sat-phone. This overlays onto the plotter and the routing engine will adjust the suggested course as necessary.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi Mark,

Not sure how this thread got mixed up as I did not ask the original question, that was Rob Hughes.

You have raised an interesting point about routing software. This is something I know nothing about and am certainly interested in getting. My chart plotter is Furuno, and I use Navionics on IOS. Any suggestions for compatible routing software?

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Erdos
Sent: 19 October 2019 21:15
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Back up tablet navigation aid

Hi Paul,

We have been turned onto iSailor by other cruisers who use it. I downloaded the app and charts. It really works well. One of the very appealing features is you “rent” the charts rather than buy them at full price. The price of the rental averages about US$30 for a year and charts are automatically updated when newer versions become available.

http://www.isailor.us/

We use iSailor only as a secondary system to our main onboard ships custom PC running Nobeltec Time Zero: https://mytimezero.com/

We have used Nobeltec TZ  as our primary source for navigation since purchasing Cream Puff. We upgraded the ships PC to a solid-state computer custom built for us by Island Time PC and linked the PC to the NMEA 0183. Other aspects include integrated ActiveCaptain and AIS. In addition to a very comprehensive routing engine we have the ability to download weather and sea conditions while in-route using our sat-phone. This overlays onto the plotter and the routing engine will adjust the suggested course as necessary.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Rob Hughes

Thanks for the input All it looks like there are a lot of options. i like open cpn but it will not work with IOS think i will invest in Aqua maps for now

Joerg Esdorn

I have Furuno Tz as the main system using C map charts. I do all routing on a laptop Interfaced with the Furuno and running the same charts.  I’ve come to appreciate Navionics app and charts on my iPad because it often provides additional detail on anchorages.  But cmap charts are sometimes more accurate as well.  So bottom line is: two separate systems is a good idea.  I like Navionics generally but any app on a tablet is no match for a real computer when you want to build a route. For serious weather routing you will need a laptop anyways.  

Alan Leslie

We have Furuno Navnet II at the nav station and at the helm, networked with C-Map charts, Laptop at the navstation with MaxSea TZ and Navionocs and C-Map charts and OpenCPN with Google Earth satellite charts plus WiFi connection to a tablet at the helm to mirror the laptop. We also have a B&G plotter where the Forward sonar used to be, with Forward Scan and Navionics charts. Our experience in the S Pacific is that the C-Map charts are generally good, Navionics less so, especially in Fiji where Navionics sometimes doesn't show passages where they exist and shows reefs where there aren't any and doesn't show them where they are.
In the S Pacific ALL electronic charts suffer from the fact that a lot of them are based on very old paper charts made before WGS 84 datum and while thay can be accurate to look at , things are not quite in the right place. In New Caledonia and FP we found the electronic charts to be precise. In Tonga miles out, Fiji a bit out, same in Vanuatu.
Mark 1 eye ball is the best navigation instrument in close quarters.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437