Topics

Super Maramu stern bumper painting

James Cromie

Hello everyone.
I am planning on repainting the stern bumper for my SM 53.  I previously sanded it down and painted with polyurethane.  That lasted about a month!
Admittedly, I didn't use a primer... and perhaps that is the main error.

Who has repainted their bumper, and with what products?   I am considering an epoxy primer this time.

Many Thanks.

James
Soteria SM2000 347
Aruba

Karen Smith

Use paint made for inflatable dinghies. The bumper is made of dense closed cell polyurethane foam. We have used the West Marine Brand with excellent luck by following preparation directions _exactly_.  We re-paint once a year and have never had a failure of the paint.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--top-coating-for-inflatable-boats-gray-quart--P010_301_001_501  (Pick your favorite color!)

Anything else will be too brittle and crack off, epoxy will be even worse.  You really should use a water based paint, since some solvents can attack the surface of the closed cell foam leaving you worse off than before you started.

Painting this part BEFORE it needs it is key to keeping it protected from UV and having a long lasting, good looking, bumper.  They are expensive, and sometime hard to get. Take good care of it and it will last a very long time.

James,

Ditto on what Karen said. It is water base, flexible, and will need 3-5 coats.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019, 7:49 PM Karen Smith via Groups.Io <karenharmonie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Great.  Thank you.  Is any primer necessary, or simply pile on the coats?

-James

On Oct 19, 2019, at 10:01 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan Leslie

Slightly different issue, but still to do with the bumper.
Ours has a chunk out of one corner (thanks to the tin dinghy "friendly" welcome at Suwarrow).
Anyone have a good method and materials for repairing it ?

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg

Hi Alan
We used the interior from a flat fender and glued in place and shaped it. And putty before painting with a paint for rubber, that is a slightly elastic paint.

/Annsofie, S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998.

Hälsningar
Ann-Sofie Svanberg

Skickat från min iPhone

20 okt. 2019 kl. 08:55 skrev Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...>:

Slightly different issue, but still to do with the bumper.
Ours has a chunk out of one corner (thanks to the tin dinghy "friendly" welcome at Suwarrow).
Anyone have a good method and materials for repairing it ?

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Mark Erdos

James,

Prior to replacing our bumper, we used Plastidip spray paint. It looked good for about 3 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Performix-Plasti-Aerosol-Spray-Liquid/dp/B06XBDGVZ3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2A7JULXBS895G&keywords=flexi+paint&qid=1571567254&sprefix=flexi+pa%2Caps%2C323&sr=8-1

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

I am planning on repainting the stern bumper for my SM 53.  I previously sanded it down and painted with polyurethane.  That lasted about a month!
Admittedly, I didn't use a primer... and perhaps that is the main error.

Who has repainted their bumper, and with what products?   I am considering an epoxy primer this time.

Many Thanks.

James
Soteria SM2000 347
Aruba

Thomas Peacock

We’ve had pretty good luck with Flex-Seal. It’s a line of products that includes paint, filler, and glue. One year out we have a couple of chips, about to touch up. It is a little slippery when you stand on it, was thinking of adding a non-slip texture to the paint next time.

Tom Peacock
SM #240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay, leaving for Martinique November 3

On Oct 19, 2019, at 6:27 PM, James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie@...> wrote:

Hello everyone.
I am planning on repainting the stern bumper for my SM 53.  I previously sanded it down and painted with polyurethane.  That lasted about a month!
Admittedly, I didn't use a primer... and perhaps that is the main error.

Who has repainted their bumper, and with what products?   I am considering an epoxy primer this time.

Many Thanks.

James
Soteria SM2000 347
Aruba

Will Stout <tango708@...>

Hi James,
I have painted my bumper twice during my ownership.  Once in 2015 in St Martin and just last week.  Each time I used a can of acrylic spray paint acquired at my local big box store intended for plastic yard chairs.  I found it to have excellent adhesion.  I simply sanded with 220 grit, cleaned and sprayed multiple coats.  The paint lasted 4 years before wearing through.  It did not flake or crack and cost less than $5. even in the Caribbean.  I was also able to find a excellent color match to the slightly off white Amel hull.

Will Stout
Anni Bea True SM 180
For Sale in Annapolis, MD.

Alan Leslie

Thanks Annsofie,
That sounds like a good idea.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

No primer, but sand well.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019, 9:07 PM James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for everyone’s responses. (you saved me some money!)
-James

On Oct 21, 2019, at 9:29 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve Harmon

I removed mine and covered it with fiberglass

Steve
Forever young SM2000  272

On Saturday, October 19, 2019, 06:27:46 PM EDT, James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie@...> wrote:

Hello everyone.
I am planning on repainting the stern bumper for my SM 53.  I previously sanded it down and painted with polyurethane.  That lasted about a month!
Admittedly, I didn't use a primer... and perhaps that is the main error.

Who has repainted their bumper, and with what products?   I am considering an epoxy primer this time.

Many Thanks.

James
Soteria SM2000 347
Aruba

Mark Erdos

Covering it with fiberglass makes sense. Whenever we back into a slip we always have a fender back there anyway trying to protect the expensive bumper J

Thinking about this method some more, a person could also add a non-skid top.

[...]

Doesn't that make it stiff and nullify the impact absorbing properties? Seems to me if you backed into a dock you might split the fibre glass
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Drew Gaffney

Hi Mark,
We had guests who had trouble w slipperiness of bumper.  I put a 2" non-slip/reflector tape on it. It was helpful, but the non-skid granules abraded the paint off our new bumper.   I will try PlastiDip when back on the boat in May.
Drew
Revelation SM390
Carloforte, Sardinia