Topics

Ground strap in bilge

Randall Walker

I know it has been on the forum many times. But I need to find a supplier of copper for making the grounding strap that goes to the keel.
Have been trying to source this in Spain. Is their someone who can point me to a supplier of a piece of copper 3mm x 50mm x 1500mm or 1/8" x 2" x 5 feet 6 inches. in Spain/Europe

Thank you
Randall
AMEL 54 #56

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

Gerhard Mueller

Edited

Hi Elja

No, that is only a film of 40 Micrometer thickness.
He needs however a copper flat bar 3 millimeters thick.
Something like this:
https://www.bikar.com/copper-flat-bars.html
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60
Currently Kalamata, Greece

Hajo Hille

Randall,
look at this web side https://www.prokilo.de

Hope this helps

Hajo
SM 150

Gesendet: Sonntag, 20. Oktober 2019 um 09:53 Uhr
Von: "Randall Walker" <lladnarowen@...>
An: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Betreff: [AmelYachtOwners] Ground strap in bilge
I know it has been on the forum many times. But I need to find a supplier of copper for making the grounding strap that goes to the keel.
Have been trying to source this in Spain. Is their someone who can point me to a supplier of a piece of copper 3mm x 50mm x 1500mm or 1/8" x 2" x 5 feet 6 inches. in Spain/Europe

Thank you
Randall
AMEL 54 #56

robin hutter

I got mine from Amel — you can check on our Blog

Robin
Amel 54 # 54in Roda de Bara
Carré d‘As

Hajo Hille

Randall

Here is the special link. You have to choose the material and the dimensions

Regards

Hajo
SM 150

Gesendet: Sonntag, 20. Oktober 2019 um 09:53 Uhr
Von: "Randall Walker" <lladnarowen@...>
An: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Betreff: [AmelYachtOwners] Ground strap in bilge

Thank you
Randall
AMEL 54 #56

Paul Osterberg

Randall why do you not do it in 316 stainless Steel? We had a workshop done it for us reccon it will last many years. Yes I heard the argument SS is a poor conductor and yes it is, but the current going in the strap are milli amps,so not importan,  And it is connected to the SS Keelbolts!
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259 Lagos 

Mike Ondra

A most interesting observation. Your thoughts?

On Oct 20, 2019, at 8:43 AM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Randall why do you not do it in 316 stainless Steel? We had a workshop done it for us reccon it will last many years. Yes I heard the argument SS is a poor conductor and yes it is, but the current going in the strap are milli amps,so not importan,  And it is connected to the SS Keelbolts!

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Why a copper strap at all then. Why not use heavy duty copper wire? 

Ross
INTREPID KIWI
SM2K 356
Currently in Croatia

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, October 20, 2019, 2:45 PM, Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra@...> wrote:

Thomas Peacock

Cannot argue with the logic. We are fortunate, our strap seems to be pretty intact. But fashioning a copper connector by hammering a pipe has also been suggested, which seems easy enough.

When are you going down?

On Oct 20, 2019, at 8:45 AM, Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra@...> wrote:

Keith Tice <b.tice@...>

Any plumbing supply store. Copper tubing. Use a hammer to flatten it into a sheet.

Regards,
Keith Tice
Bikini
SM2k #282

Randall Walker

Thought of that, if that is all I can get it will be a last resort. Copper pipe is a blend of metal. I believe hat Bill R. is not a fan either. Hoping to find a good quality copper.
Thanks Keith take care

Randall

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Keith Tice via Groups.Io <b.tice@...>
Sent: October 20, 2019 10:02 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Ground strap in bilge

Any plumbing supply store. Copper tubing. Use a hammer to flatten it into a sheet.

Regards,
Keith Tice
Bikini
SM2k #282

Randall Walker

Thanks Robin,

Did you have an part order # for the strap. I'm in Spain and you would think copper is gold down here. I just cant find a supplier.
I am looking at doing the mast step as well. Eight hours you say, were the wires easy to get at?

Thanks again,
Randall
54 #56

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of robin hutter via Groups.Io <robin6658@...>
Sent: October 20, 2019 7:57 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Robin
Carré d‘As

robin hutter

I think it was around 90 euros — just tell them the bonding strap for the bilge of a SM — they will know what it is.
It was easy to get to the cables but was a problem to loosen the nut on the keelbolt as we needed a special high tool (30 mm) as the boöt was to high for a normal one.

Robin 
Amel 54 # 54
Carré d‘As

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail für iPad

Am Sonntag, Oktober 20, 2019, 19:20 schrieb Randall Walker <lladnarowen@...>:

Thanks Robin,

Did you have an part order # for the strap. I'm in Spain and you would think copper is gold down here. I just cant find a supplier.
I am looking at doing the mast step as well. Eight hours you say, were the wires easy to get at?

Thanks again,
Randall
54 #56

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of robin hutter via Groups.Io <robin6658@...>

Robin
Carré d‘As

Randall Walker

That is awesome Robin.
I will be onto it in the morning.

All the best,
Randall

Sent: October 20, 2019 2:31 PM

I think it was around 90 euros — just tell them the bonding strap for the bilge of a SM — they will know what it is.
It was easy to get to the cables but was a problem to loosen the nut on the keelbolt as we needed a special high tool (30 mm) as the boöt was to high for a normal one.

Robin 
Amel 54 # 54
Carré d‘As

Thanks Robin,

Thanks again,
Randall
54 #56

Robin
Carré d‘As

This bilge bonding strap conducts micro volts. Stainless steel is much, much less conductive than copper. If I remember correctly, stainless steel has about 2-5% the conductivity of copper. Additionally, I had a client/engineer fashion one out of 1/8" x 2" stainless steel bar. He told me it was very difficult and to warn others that it wasn't worth it.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019, 12:00 PM Randall Walker <lladnarowen@...> wrote:
Thought of that, if that is all I can get it will be a last resort. Copper pipe is a blend of metal. I believe hat Bill R. is not a fan either. Hoping to find a good quality copper.
Thanks Keith take care

Randall

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Keith Tice via Groups.Io <b.tice=icloud.com@groups.io>
Sent: October 20, 2019 10:02 AM

Regards,
Keith Tice
Bikini
SM2k #282

This is the one and only time that I will say that the Amel OEM part is not the best part.

Amel uses a thin copper foil for the bonding strap inside the gray water bilge. In terms of electrical conductivity, it is perfect. In terms of durability it is not good enough. The gray PVC float switch tube sits on top of the copper foil and will wear through the copper foil in a few years. If you buy the Amel OEM copper foil, I suggest you buy 2 because you will likely need to replace it again in a few years. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019, 1:34 PM Randall Walker <lladnarowen@...> wrote:
That is awesome Robin.

All the best,
Randall

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of robin hutter via Groups.Io <robin6658=yahoo.com@groups.io>

Robin 
Amel 54 # 54
Carré d‘As

Thanks Robin,

Thanks again,
Randall
54 #56

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of robin hutter via Groups.Io <robin6658=yahoo.com@groups.io>

Robin
Carré d‘As

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Bill what’s your thoughts on using copper wire, instead of the strap. Will this provide enough electrical conductivity?

Regards

Ross
SV INTREPID KIWI
SM2K 356

On Sunday, October 20, 2019, 9:34 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

This is the one and only time that I will say that the Amel OEM part is not the best part.

Amel uses a thin copper foil for the bonding strap inside the gray water bilge. In terms of electrical conductivity, it is perfect. In terms of durability it is not good enough. The gray PVC float switch tube sits on top of the copper foil and will wear through the copper foil in a few years. If you buy the Amel OEM copper foil, I suggest you buy 2 because you will likely need to replace it again in a few years. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

That is awesome Robin.

All the best,
Randall

Robin 
Amel 54 # 54
Carré d‘As

Thanks Robin,

Thanks again,
Randall
54 #56

Robin
Carré d‘As

Randall Walker

I am sitting south of Barcelona. One group member put me onto a German supplier, a former AMEL owner is trying to source it out of Britain and I have been told AMEL does still have them.
Glad I joined this group.
And Bill I agree that the original are way too thin.

I love my boat,
Randall
A-54 #56

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Sent: October 20, 2019 3:34 PM

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

That is awesome Robin.

All the best,
Randall

Robin 
Amel 54 # 54
Carré d‘As

Thanks Robin,

Thanks again,
Randall
54 #56

Robin
Carré d‘As

Copper wire should work. I still prefer copper bar. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019, 2:53 PM Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via Groups.Io <southernadventurer=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill what’s your thoughts on using copper wire, instead of the strap. Will this provide enough electrical conductivity?

Regards

Ross
SV INTREPID KIWI
SM2K 356
Currently Croatia

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, October 20, 2019, 9:34 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

That is awesome Robin.

All the best,
Randall

Robin 
Amel 54 # 54
Carré d‘As

Thanks Robin,

Thanks again,
Randall
54 #56

Robin
Carré d‘As