Topics

Ground strap in bilge

Randall Walker

I know it has been on the forum many times. But I need to find a supplier of copper for making the grounding strap that goes to the keel.
Have been trying to source this in Spain. Is their someone who can point me to a supplier of a piece of copper 3mm x 50mm x 1500mm or 1/8" x 2" x 5 feet 6 inches. in Spain/Europe

Thank you
Randall
AMEL 54 #56

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

Gerhard Mueller

Edited

Hi Elja

No, that is only a film of 40 Micrometer thickness.
He needs however a copper flat bar 3 millimeters thick.
Something like this:
https://www.bikar.com/copper-flat-bars.html
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Hajo Hille

Randall,
look at this web side https://www.prokilo.de

Hope this helps

Hajo
SM 150

Gesendet: Sonntag, 20. Oktober 2019 um 09:53 Uhr
Von: "Randall Walker" <lladnarowen@...>
An: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Betreff: [AmelYachtOwners] Ground strap in bilge
I know it has been on the forum many times. But I need to find a supplier of copper for making the grounding strap that goes to the keel.
Have been trying to source this in Spain. Is their someone who can point me to a supplier of a piece of copper 3mm x 50mm x 1500mm or 1/8" x 2" x 5 feet 6 inches. in Spain/Europe

Thank you
Randall
AMEL 54 #56

robin hutter

I got mine from Amel — you can check on our Blog

Robin
Amel 54 # 54in Roda de Bara
Carré d‘As

Hajo Hille

Randall

Here is the special link. You have to choose the material and the dimensions

Regards

Hajo
SM 150

Gesendet: Sonntag, 20. Oktober 2019 um 09:53 Uhr
Von: "Randall Walker" <lladnarowen@...>
An: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
I know it has been on the forum many times. But I need to find a supplier of copper for making the grounding strap that goes to the keel.
Have been trying to source this in Spain. Is their someone who can point me to a supplier of a piece of copper 3mm x 50mm x 1500mm or 1/8" x 2" x 5 feet 6 inches. in Spain/Europe

Thank you
Randall
AMEL 54 #56

Paul Osterberg

Randall why do you not do it in 316 stainless Steel? We had a workshop done it for us reccon it will last many years. Yes I heard the argument SS is a poor conductor and yes it is, but the current going in the strap are milli amps,so not importan,  And it is connected to the SS Keelbolts!
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259 Lagos

Mike Ondra

A most interesting observation. Your thoughts?

On Oct 20, 2019, at 8:43 AM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Randall why do you not do it in 316 stainless Steel? We had a workshop done it for us reccon it will last many years. Yes I heard the argument SS is a poor conductor and yes it is, but the current going in the strap are milli amps,so not importan,  And it is connected to the SS Keelbolts!
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259 Lagos

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Why a copper strap at all then. Why not use heavy duty copper wire?

Ross
INTREPID KIWI
SM2K 356
Currently in Croatia

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, October 20, 2019, 2:45 PM, Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra@...> wrote:

A most interesting observation. Your thoughts?

On Oct 20, 2019, at 8:43 AM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Randall why do you not do it in 316 stainless Steel? We had a workshop done it for us reccon it will last many years. Yes I heard the argument SS is a poor conductor and yes it is, but the current going in the strap are milli amps,so not importan,  And it is connected to the SS Keelbolts!
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259 Lagos

Thomas Peacock

Cannot argue with the logic. We are fortunate, our strap seems to be pretty intact. But fashioning a copper connector by hammering a pipe has also been suggested, which seems easy enough.

When are you going down?

On Oct 20, 2019, at 8:45 AM, Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra@...> wrote:

A most interesting observation. Your thoughts?

On Oct 20, 2019, at 8:43 AM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Randall why do you not do it in 316 stainless Steel? We had a workshop done it for us reccon it will last many years. Yes I heard the argument SS is a poor conductor and yes it is, but the current going in the strap are milli amps,so not importan,  And it is connected to the SS Keelbolts!
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259 Lagos

Keith Tice <b.tice@...>

Any plumbing supply store. Copper tubing. Use a hammer to flatten it into a sheet.

Regards,
Keith Tice
Bikini
SM2k #282

Randall Walker

Thought of that, if that is all I can get it will be a last resort. Copper pipe is a blend of metal. I believe hat Bill R. is not a fan either. Hoping to find a good quality copper.
Thanks Keith take care

Randall