Topics

Outhaul on Supermaramu

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Subject: Outhaul on Supermaramu

Hi Bill,

On page 30 of your excellent ( May 2019)  Amel book appears a photo of the drive arm which connects the gearbox to the Andersen winch. On that arm is a bronze bushing.

Can you explain where this bushing fits ?  Presumably it is not part of the gearbox ? Does that mean that it sits in the boom itself and helps to keep the drive arm in place rather than placing all the stress on the bolt which attaches the drive arm to the winch?

The reason I ask is that since my drive arm was replaced in 2009 the four bolts attaching the bearbox to the bracket on the boom have worked to elongate the holes in the bracket.  I am about to dismount the boom, detach the arm and gearbox and have a new floor fitted to bracket with new holes drilled.   I am half expecting to find that when the drive arm was fitted in 2009 ( no names mentioned--but it wasn't me ! ) the bush was omitted and that has resulted in the wear on the bracket.

Anyone else had a similar problem ?

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece

Gary Silver

Ian and Judy:

The bronze bushing I believe you are referring to  (the only one on the drive shaft for the outhaul) fits into the top of the Anderson winch cap.  You should be able to view it by looking sideways into the space between the Anderson winch cap and the "arm" of the drive shaft. 

Gary Silver

Ian and Judy:

As to the elongating of the holes in the boom mounting plate.  This occurs due to the torque that is applied to those mounting holes each time the out-haul is used.  Originally Amel fitted rubber grommets around the mounting bolts to prevent contact between the mounting bolts and the aluminum  (for corrosion protection, shock mounting, and to prevent mounting plate wear).  Those soon deteriorate but are readily available for replacement.  If you notice your out-haul assembly moving back and forth with activation of the outhaul (in either direction) it is probably time to replace the rubber grommets.  I don't recall the size off hand, but the specifications take into account the thickness of the "groove" to match the mounting plate, the ID for the bolt and the "groove" diameter for the mounting plate. 

Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 # 335

I will answer privately within 2 hours. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019, 6:59 AM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

Subject: Outhaul on Supermaramu

Hi Bill,

On page 30 of your excellent ( May 2019)  Amel book appears a photo of the drive arm which connects the gearbox to the Andersen winch. On that arm is a bronze bushing.

Can you explain where this bushing fits ?  Presumably it is not part of the gearbox ? Does that mean that it sits in the boom itself and helps to keep the drive arm in place rather than placing all the stress on the bolt which attaches the drive arm to the winch?

The reason I ask is that since my drive arm was replaced in 2009 the four bolts attaching the bearbox to the bracket on the boom have worked to elongate the holes in the bracket.  I am about to dismount the boom, detach the arm and gearbox and have a new floor fitted to bracket with new holes drilled.   I am half expecting to find that when the drive arm was fitted in 2009 ( no names mentioned--but it wasn't me ! ) the bush was omitted and that has resulted in the wear on the bracket.

Anyone else had a similar problem ?

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece

Gary,

Thanks.  I did replace the rubber washers but should have done so earlier as the distortion of the holes had already started and , needless to say, once it started it only got worse. 

A stitch in time....

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 , Kilada, Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver@...>
Sent: 21 October 2019 13:19
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Outhaul on Supermaramu

Ian and Judy:

As to the elongating of the holes in the boom mounting plate.  This occurs due to the torque that is applied to those mounting holes each time the out-haul is used.  Originally Amel fitted rubber grommets around the mounting bolts to prevent contact between the mounting bolts and the aluminum  (for corrosion protection, shock mounting, and to prevent mounting plate wear).  Those soon deteriorate but are readily available for replacement.  If you notice your out-haul assembly moving back and forth with activation of the outhaul (in either direction) it is probably time to replace the rubber grommets.  I don't recall the size off hand, but the specifications take into account the thickness of the "groove" to match the mounting plate, the ID for the bolt and the "groove" diameter for the mounting plate. 

Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 # 335

rossirossix4

When we were at Chantiers Amel - Caraïbes in Martinique we removed the outhaul motor which came out easily with a puller tool they supplied  They did not have the replacement rubber inserts but instead supplied us with short lengths of rubber tubing and nylon washers.  The tubing spread to fill the hole (ours looked like they were still round.  The right size tubing compressed vertically and expanding horizontally might do a good job in this situation.  Photos-- (included a pic of the puller, the cleaned up shaft with the bronze collar as well as the inserts-- https://photos.app.goo.gl/RLit2YvNU5BxQDjt6

Brackets vary by SM model/year but the rubber inserts should work.  Amel had us remove the gearbox and motor after lending us the tool and we used them to service and rebuild the gearbox and electric motor.  We replaced them ourselves.

The rubber insert is shown before being tightened down.  Note that we used Tef-Gel anti-seize on the shaft and key before reassembling--we will follow-up with a report when we next remove the shaft from the gear box.

Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI SM429

eric freedman

Very cleaver.

Thanks

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of rossirossix4
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 1:39 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Outhaul on Supermaramu

When we were at Chantiers Amel - Caraïbes in Martinique we removed the outhaul motor which came out easily with a puller tool they supplied  They did not have the replacement rubber inserts but instead supplied us with short lengths of rubber tubing and nylon washers.  The tubing spread to fill the hole (ours looked like they were still round.  The right size tubing compressed vertically and expanding horizontally might do a good job in this situation.  Photos-- (included a pic of the puller, the cleaned up shaft with the bronze collar as well as the inserts-- https://photos.app.goo.gl/RLit2YvNU5BxQDjt6

Brackets vary by SM model/year but the rubber inserts should work.  Amel had us remove the gearbox and motor after lending us the tool and we used them to service and rebuild the gearbox and electric motor.  We replaced them ourselves.

The rubber insert is shown before being tightened down.  Note that we used Tef-Gel anti-seize on the shaft and key before reassembling--we will follow-up with a report when we next remove the shaft from the gear box.

Bob and Suzanne, 

Thanks . That might do the trick . 

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 , Kilada , Greece

On 23 Oct 2019, at 18:39, rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...> wrote: