Topics

Outhaul on Supermaramu

Subject: Outhaul on Supermaramu

Hi Bill,

 On page 30 of your excellent ( May 2019)  Amel book appears a photo of the drive arm which connects the gearbox to the Andersen winch. On that arm is a bronze bushing.

 Can you explain where this bushing fits ?  Presumably it is not part of the gearbox ? Does that mean that it sits in the boom itself and helps to keep the drive arm in place rather than placing all the stress on the bolt which attaches the drive arm to the winch?

 The reason I ask is that since my drive arm was replaced in 2009 the four bolts attaching the bearbox to the bracket on the boom have worked to elongate the holes in the bracket.  I am about to dismount the boom, detach the arm and gearbox and have a new floor fitted to bracket with new holes drilled.   I am half expecting to find that when the drive arm was fitted in 2009 ( no names mentioned--but it wasn't me ! ) the bush was omitted and that has resulted in the wear on the bracket.

 Anyone else had a similar problem ?

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece

Gary Silver

Ian and Judy:

The bronze bushing I believe you are referring to  (the only one on the drive shaft for the outhaul) fits into the top of the Anderson winch cap.  You should be able to view it by looking sideways into the space between the Anderson winch cap and the "arm" of the drive shaft.

Gary Silver

Ian and Judy:

As to the elongating of the holes in the boom mounting plate.  This occurs due to the torque that is applied to those mounting holes each time the out-haul is used.  Originally Amel fitted rubber grommets around the mounting bolts to prevent contact between the mounting bolts and the aluminum  (for corrosion protection, shock mounting, and to prevent mounting plate wear).  Those soon deteriorate but are readily available for replacement.  If you notice your out-haul assembly moving back and forth with activation of the outhaul (in either direction) it is probably time to replace the rubber grommets.  I don't recall the size off hand, but the specifications take into account the thickness of the "groove" to match the mounting plate, the ID for the bolt and the "groove" diameter for the mounting plate.

Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 # 335

I will answer privately within 2 hours.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019, 6:59 AM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

[...]

 Thanks.  I did replace the rubber washers but should have done so earlier as the distortion of the holes had already started and , needless to say, once it started it only got worse.

 A stitch in time....

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 , Kilada, Greece