Topics

Electric heads on Supermaramu

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Hi all,

We have a rather selfish approach to guests, namely that we most enjoy their company when they stay ashore in an AirBnB and come day sailing.  Occasionally we bend this rule . Alas, one of our good friends has become very large with age  and after his recent spell on board  the base of  one of our 19 year old  WCs has suffered terminal damage.

We were really sceptical when our Amel came with electric heads but they have proved more reliable and needing less maintenance than any manual heads we have had in the past.

The damage suffered is cracking of the base around the bolts which hold it to the floor. Unfortunately, Jabsco no longer make the Base Assembly Part No: 37004-1000 ( at least, it is no longer available in the UK).
The replacement, needless to say, has bolt holes in different places to the original. Other than that, it seems that it works as a replacement.

Has anyone experience  of replacing these heads ? When you remove the old base, what is underneath it? Is there a hole which allows you to gain sufficient access to fix in place the nuts to which the new base is bolted ?  Is some form of reinforcement needed to the floor ? How to fix the nuts so that they stay in place ?

I had though of trying to reinforce the cracks and continue to use the existing base, but there is little material to work on and I suspect that would prove a short term solution.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 ,Kilada,Greece

Gary Silver

Hi Ian and Judy

We had a boisterous sail from Bonaire to Puerto Rico last year during which my daughter was tossed onto the toilet in the forward head and cracked 3 of the plastic (?PVC) mounting lugs of the toilet base.  I ordered the Jabsco PN 37004-1000 toilet base from Amazon for $139.00 US and received it in a couple days.  It fit the existing hole pattern perfectly.  The bolts screwed into mild steel backing plates that are imbedded in the fiberglass much like the lifeline stanchion mounting system.   I just backed out the bolts, mounted the new base to the porcelain bowel (the base comes with a new mounting gasket as I recall), re-installed the assembly, then realized I didn't have clearance to screw in the outflow hose adapter that has the "joker" valve in it so demounted the base etc, attached the outflow adapter, then re-set the base.  

I just now searched Amazon and see the correct PN listed for $116.00 (cheaper than what I paid).  Hope you can procure one via Amazon in Greece. 

All the best, 
Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 # 335
Puerto Del Rey Puerto Rico     (on the hard)

Paul Osterberg

Ian and Judy
I have the same issue, one of the heads bases I manage to salvage by adding very large washers of aluminium, but the other one is probably to much work to fox, so I thinking of Buying a new Jabsco. I put in an inspection hatch to get access under. see photo

Paul on SY Kerpa AM#259

Mark Erdos

Paul,

Did the holes align when you changed out the old style Jabsco toilet base for the new one.

Also, what is the purpose of the inspection hole?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Osterberg
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2019 11:35 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Electric heads on Supermaramu

Ian and Judy
I have the same issue, one of the heads bases I manage to salvage by adding very large washers of aluminium, but the other one is probably to much work to fox, so I thinking of Buying a new Jabsco. I put in an inspection hatch to get access under. see photo

Paul on SY Kerpa AM#259

Paul Osterberg

Mark
Well I have not yet bought the new head just decided, that is probably the best option. The reason for the inspection hatch was to get access to the bolt heads below the surface as one of the holes was "enlarged" and had no thread. But to no good for this time as the hole to fasten the head was down into a hollow beam so no access, but next time it will be easy to attache the new head with the hatch in place.
Paul

karkauai

I had the same problem Ian.  I did a “temporary” fix with a piece of 1/2” Starboard shaped to span the holes where the break is.  To complicate matters further, one of the bolts was seized to the mild steel backing plate and I broke the head off trying to get it out.  The backing plate is quite a bit below the surface, and drilling it out left a hole that was impossible to rethread.  I used a Mr Toggle bolt which leaves a reusable female thread below the old backing plate.  It has held up beautifully for ~4 years...we’ll, maybe not aesthetically, but pretty is as pretty does.

Kent & Iris
Kristy SM 243
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 21, 2019, at 12:55 PM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Mark
Well I have not yet bought the new head just decided, that is probably the best option. The reason for the inspection hatch was to get access to the bolt heads below the surface as one of the holes was "enlarged" and had no thread. But to no good for this time as the hole to fasten the head was down into a hollow beam so no access, but next time it will be easy to attache the new head with the hatch in place.
Paul

eric freedman

Hi Ian,
I saw your post and thought I should have a spare base as they do tend to break. Sooo I ordered one from Amazon. I left my office to go to kimberlite and looked in my pump locker area for something else and lo and behold I have a brand new one in the box. Tomorrow I will have 2. Would you like me to FedEx it to you or shall I return it to Amazon?
You can send me an answer to Kimberlite.
Fair Winds,
Eric
Sm 376 Kimberlite

On October 21, 2019 at 8:22 AM "ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...>" <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

Hi all,

We have a rather selfish approach to guests, namely that we most enjoy their company when they stay ashore in an AirBnB and come day sailing.  Occasionally we bend this rule . Alas, one of our good friends has become very large with age  and after his recent spell on board  the base of  one of our 19 year old  WCs has suffered terminal damage.

We were really sceptical when our Amel came with electric heads but they have proved more reliable and needing less maintenance than any manual heads we have had in the past.

The damage suffered is cracking of the base around the bolts which hold it to the floor. Unfortunately, Jabsco no longer make the Base Assembly Part No: 37004-1000 ( at least, it is no longer available in the UK).
The replacement, needless to say, has bolt holes in different places to the original. Other than that, it seems that it works as a replacement.

Has anyone experience  of replacing these heads ? When you remove the old base, what is underneath it? Is there a hole which allows you to gain sufficient access to fix in place the nuts to which the new base is bolted ?  Is some form of reinforcement needed to the floor ? How to fix the nuts so that they stay in place ?

I had though of trying to reinforce the cracks and continue to use the existing base, but there is little material to work on and I suspect that would prove a short term solution.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 ,Kilada,Greece

Kent and Iris,

Thank you. I will look at that bolt.

Interestingly ( annoyingly--as a replacement for  your base seems available) I appear to have a slightly different base from that which you show, although our boats are not far apart  ( 243 and 302)

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Kilada, Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
Sent: 21 October 2019 22:53
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

I had the same problem Ian.  I did a “temporary” fix with a piece of 1/2” Starboard shaped to span the holes where the break is.  To complicate matters further, one of the bolts was seized to the mild steel backing plate and I broke the head off trying to get it out.  The backing plate is quite a bit below the surface, and drilling it out left a hole that was impossible to rethread.  I used a Mr Toggle bolt which leaves a reusable female thread below the old backing plate.  It has held up beautifully for ~4 years...we’ll, maybe not aesthetically, but pretty is as pretty does.

Kent & Iris
Kristy SM 243
karkauai@...

Mark
Paul

Paul,

Thanks . The old base that you show is the one that I have and for which I can't find a replacement.  I like your solution to get access underneath.

Ian and Judy, Pen azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...>
Sent: 21 October 2019 15:35
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Ian and Judy

Paul on SY Kerpa AM#259

Ian,

You are correct. Jabsco changed the base part. I think the change was about 1998.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 3:58 AM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:
Kent and Iris,

Thank you. I will look at that bolt.

Interestingly ( annoyingly--as a replacement for  your base seems available) I appear to have a slightly different base from that which you show, although our boats are not far apart  ( 243 and 302)

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Kilada, Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: 21 October 2019 22:53
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

I had the same problem Ian.  I did a “temporary” fix with a piece of 1/2” Starboard shaped to span the holes where the break is.  To complicate matters further, one of the bolts was seized to the mild steel backing plate and I broke the head off trying to get it out.  The backing plate is quite a bit below the surface, and drilling it out left a hole that was impossible to rethread.  I used a Mr Toggle bolt which leaves a reusable female thread below the old backing plate.  It has held up beautifully for ~4 years...we’ll, maybe not aesthetically, but pretty is as pretty does.

Kent & Iris
Kristy SM 243

Mark
Paul