Topics

Electric heads on Supermaramu

Hi all,

We have a rather selfish approach to guests, namely that we most enjoy their company when they stay ashore in an AirBnB and come day sailing.  Occasionally we bend this rule . Alas, one of our good friends has become very large with age  and after his recent spell on board  the base of  one of our 19 year old  WCs has suffered terminal damage.

 We were really sceptical when our Amel came with electric heads but they have proved more reliable and needing less maintenance than any manual heads we have had in the past.

 The damage suffered is cracking of the base around the bolts which hold it to the floor. Unfortunately, Jabsco no longer make the Base Assembly Part No: 37004-1000 ( at least, it is no longer available in the UK).
The replacement, needless to say, has bolt holes in different places to the original. Other than that, it seems that it works as a replacement.

Has anyone experience  of replacing these heads ? When you remove the old base, what is underneath it? Is there a hole which allows you to gain sufficient access to fix in place the nuts to which the new base is bolted ?  Is some form of reinforcement needed to the floor ? How to fix the nuts so that they stay in place ?

I had though of trying to reinforce the cracks and continue to use the existing base, but there is little material to work on and I suspect that would prove a short term solution.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 ,Kilada,Greece

Gary Silver

Hi Ian and Judy

We had a boisterous sail from Bonaire to Puerto Rico last year during which my daughter was tossed onto the toilet in the forward head and cracked 3 of the plastic (?PVC) mounting lugs of the toilet base.  I ordered the Jabsco PN 37004-1000 toilet base from Amazon for $139.00 US and received it in a couple days.  It fit the existing hole pattern perfectly.  The bolts screwed into mild steel backing plates that are imbedded in the fiberglass much like the lifeline stanchion mounting system.   I just backed out the bolts, mounted the new base to the porcelain bowel (the base comes with a new mounting gasket as I recall), re-installed the assembly, then realized I didn't have clearance to screw in the outflow hose adapter that has the "joker" valve in it so demounted the base etc, attached the outflow adapter, then re-set the base.

I just now searched Amazon and see the correct PN listed for $116.00 (cheaper than what I paid).  Hope you can procure one via Amazon in Greece.

All the best,
Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 # 335
Puerto Del Rey Puerto Rico     (on the hard)

Paul Osterberg

Ian and Judy
I have the same issue, one of the heads bases I manage to salvage by adding very large washers of aluminium, but the other one is probably to much work to fox, so I thinking of Buying a new Jabsco. I put in an inspection hatch to get access under. see photo

Paul on SY Kerpa AM#259

Mark Erdos

Paul,

Did the holes align when you changed out the old style Jabsco toilet base for the new one.

Also, what is the purpose of the inspection hole?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us