Topics

Desalinator high pressure hose and fittings

James Cromie

Good evening everyone.
I have a Dessalator 160L/hr, and I'd like to order a spare set of high pressure hoses with fittings.
Online, I am finding these to be quite expensive with stainless steel JIC fittings.
Can anyone direct me to a good vendor for these (with fittings? )

You can contact me directly at jamescromie 'at' yahoo 'dot' com in order to avoid posting any commercial information (not sure if that is against the forum rules)...

Many Thanks
James Cromie
SV Soteria SM2K 347
Aruba

James Cromie

Perhaps there is no need to have new fittings, since it is the hose that needs to be replaced at 5 year intervals, more or less.  Is it quite simple to re-use the old fittings on new hydraulic hose?

Thanks,
James

On Oct 23, 2019, at 9:22 PM, James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie@...> wrote:

Good evening everyone.
I have a Dessalator 160L/hr, and I'd like to order a spare set of high pressure hoses with fittings.
Online, I am finding these to be quite expensive with stainless steel JIC fittings.
Can anyone direct me to a good vendor for these (with fittings? )

You can contact me directly at jamescromie 'at' yahoo 'dot' com in order to avoid posting any commercial information (not sure if that is against the forum rules)...

Many Thanks
James Cromie
SV Soteria SM2K 347
Aruba

eric freedman

James,

I had my hoses duplicated at a hydraulic shop in St. Maarten. They used aeroquip hose and  swage on fittings. They are much less money than the do it yourself ones that come with the watermaker.

Just make sure that the steel braid in the hose is stainless..

The hoses are usually rated at 5000 psi. Hydraulic shops make hoses for bulldozers, etc. You can find them everywhere.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

I have a Dessalator 160L/hr, and I'd like to order a spare set of high pressure hoses with fittings.
Online, I am finding these to be quite expensive with stainless steel JIC fittings.
Can anyone direct me to a good vendor for these (with fittings? )

You can contact me directly at jamescromie 'at' yahoo 'dot' com in order to avoid posting any commercial information (not sure if that is against the forum rules)...

Many Thanks
James Cromie
SV Soteria SM2K 347
Aruba

eric freedman

The fittings are meant to be reused. I just find them to be a pain, you also need a cap or an elbow, jic to do it.

Attached are instructions.

[...]

<Watermaker Connection.jpg>

James Cromie

Eric, or anyone else -
Do you know what the ID is for the hydraulic hose in order to use the field serviceable / re-usable fittings?
There are quite a few different specs for hydraulic hose, but I assume it is the single steel wire reinforcement (SAE 100R1) spec.

-James

[...]

Just bring a hose and connector with you to a hydraulic shop. Most shops stock the hose and if you are lucky, they will put the fittings on for you.

Fair Winds

Eric

[...]

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi James;

We purchased our replacement directly from Dessalator. We purchased 10 meters of hose (For two replacements) and 4 extra fittings. A fairly straight forward job, but Dessalator is not the most cost effective way to go, as stated by others. What I like about their setup is, if caught out in a location without access to a hydraulic shop (or on passage), you can easily change out yourself. Typically, you can just cut a bit of the hose and reinstall the fitting without the need to pull and route the new hose.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099