Topics

Engine Water leackage

Santorin LO

Hi Group, 
Recently after few hours of motorring especialy on higher rpm i found red water under the gearbox. However, i could not licate the source of the leakage. After about 100hrs of the same (was not too bad and no aignificant shortage of oil or water both gearbox and engine), when it got worst, i finally found the source - not from the gearbox, but actually from the 'stern' side of the engine just around the timing belt area. 
Would anyone be able to know what xould be the problem and why the collor is red?

Antonio, Vagabundo SN108

Is salt water or what? The color probably is rust. 

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 24 ott 2019, alle ore 07:46, Santorin LO via Groups.Io <santorinlo18@...> ha scritto:

Hi Group, 
Recently after few hours of motorring especialy on higher rpm i found red water under the gearbox. However, i could not licate the source of the leakage. After about 100hrs of the same (was not too bad and no aignificant shortage of oil or water both gearbox and engine), when it got worst, i finally found the source - not from the gearbox, but actually from the 'stern' side of the engine just around the timing belt area. 
Would anyone be able to know what xould be the problem and why the collor is red?
<20191016_173548.jpg>

James Cromie

Do you use pink / red antifreeze?  If so, check your coolant lines and fittings, as well as your coolant level.
-James

On Oct 24, 2019, at 4:51 AM, Antonio, Vagabundo SN108 <vagabundo@...> wrote:

Is salt water or what? The color probably is rust. 

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 24 ott 2019, alle ore 07:46, Santorin LO via Groups.Io <santorinlo18@...> ha scritto:

Hi Group, 
<20191016_173548.jpg>

James Cromie

Ah. I didn’t see that there was a photo.  Agree - looks like rust.  Still could be coolant lines if there is rust inside manifold, or check exhaust mixing elbow (if you have the original elbow, it may begin to form small holes from corrosion.

On Oct 24, 2019, at 1:46 AM, Santorin LO via Groups.Io <santorinlo18@...> wrote:

Hi Group, 
Would anyone be able to know what xould be the problem and why the collor is red? <20191016_173548.jpg>

Craig Briggs

Edited

Hello Santorin LO (by the way, what is your name?)

If I understand correctly you suspect you have a leak around the timing belt area - not the gearbox end that your picture shows.  So the picture is just the "red water" accumulating after draining down under the engine, correct?
If this is, indeed, rusty water (I assume your coolant is a bit rusty) and you have eliminated it coming from a leak in any of the cooling water hoses, there are two additional possibilities.

1, It may be the fresh water pump is beginning to leak around it's shaft seal. This pump's shaft area is not visible without taking off the entire timing belt cover. That is, you really can't see it leaking; you just see some dripping below the timing belt cover.  The shop manual says it must be replaced (it is not repairable without modifying the pump housing) and to do so involves stripping the entire timing belt end (easily done if you put the engine in the cockpit first). (About $200 for a new pump)

2. It may be you've got a pin-hole leak in the freeze plug (aka explansion plug) under the coolant water pump. Also requires stripping the timing belt end. (About $1 for a new plug)

If either is the case the leaking will become progressively worse, so you can monitor it to be sure exactly what it is, although you still won't know if it is the pump or the freeze plug until you strip the timing belt end first, put some coolant in and observe where it is leaking. As it gets worse it will start leaking faster and faster, to the point where your coolant level will drop and overheating will occur, so keep a good eye on it. 

If it is one of these causes and since your engine is probably approaching 30 years old, replace the pump and all the freeze plugs while you've got the engine in the cockpit..

Good luck with it and let us know what you find.
Craig
PS - To help with the diagnosis you might try putting 2-3 oz of blue food coloring in the cooling water and see if your red turns blue.

Bernd Spanner

I had a similar colored liquid in my bilge. after a long search it turned out to be the red gear box oil mixed with diesel. reason was leaking gearbox and leaking diesel hp pump. fixed both and all is fine now.
you might also want to check on the heat exchanger lines if everything is tightened properly.
what does the liquid smell / taste like?
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

Santorin LO

As bitter as as can...

However, Mechanic suggested leak from fresh water pump (must be right as leakage is from the back (under the timing) + leakage from oil gasket in the same area - made a lot of sense as both are coming from there.

On Thursday, October 24, 2019, 06:14:50 PM GMT+3, Bernd Spanner <bernd.spanner@...> wrote:

I had a similar colored liquid in my bilge. after a long search it turned out to be the red gear box oil mixed with diesel. reason was leaking gearbox and leaking diesel hp pump. fixed both and all is fine now.
you might also want to check on the heat exchanger lines if everything is tightened properly.
what does the liquid smell / taste like?
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal