Topics

Bow thruster seals orientation

David Cummane

Jose

Thanks again for the silicone seals.

Would you please confirm that the seals are intended to replace the 'hard' lip seal below the upper foam seal in the orientation as per attached photo's?

Many thanks

David
Ker Marie
SM#101

Jose Venegas

David,

Yes they are intended to replace the hard lip seal. I installed them in the opposite order of your second picture but with the same orientation that you have them : Both lips facing the water.
I noted that the current seals came a little bit off in the dimensions of my first order and gluing the upper (wiper) seal to the lower (U) seal leaves a small gap in the surface of contact unless you glue them before mounting them and you place some weight on them while the permanent silicone glue is dry.
However, I think that if you mount them the way you show in the second picture there will not leave a gap and they should work OK. That is not what I did with my seals 3 years ago but I would be tempted to do it that way when, and if, I replace them with the new set.

In fact your order may result in an even better sealing action and better attachment between each other and to the fiberglass.

Jose
Ipanema SM2K 278
Finally leaving Boston towards Martinique on November 1