Topics

tb/BRISBANE area marina & yard/AYOG

Teun BAAS

I am leaving around November 10 2019 from NOUMEA to AUSTRALIA; probably north of BRISBANE and south of BUNDABERG.

Can anybody recommend a safe & affordable marina where I can leave the boat for 8 weeks or so (Dec 12, 2019 thru Feb 12, 2020) and then have her, in the vicinity, hauled out for copper coat anti-fouling plus additional 2 yearly A54 maintenance. One of my previous AUSSIE crew, living in the area, is suggesting leaving her on anchor as it is free but I prefer a slip or on the hard while I am in USA.

Somebody here in NOUMEA suggested MOOLOOLABA QLD – I have no clue 😊

I am flying out of & back in (with a lot of luggage) BRISBANE so will need to have access to transportation to & from International Airport.

Any yards; trades people in the area familiar with AMEL?

Appreciate your help & suggestions.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

October 24, 2019 20:23:20

Matt Salatino

Try asking on the Sailing Australia FB page.....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 24, 2019, at 5:24 AM, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

[...]

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Hi Teun

We have just arrived back in Australia after completing our circumnavigation this week. Right now we are in Bundaberg for a few weeks but will return home to Brisbane soon around mid-November.

Please do not ever consider leaving your Amel on an anchor anywhere in Brisbane. That was not good advice at all.

In terms of Brisbane Marinas, we choose a small fairly unknown marina called Newport Marina to berth SV island Pearl II since it is safe, within walking distance from the train to the city and airport. It is a quiet residential type marina with old, but well-kept facilities, and has plenty of car parking right near the boat. It is not a lively place with shops and restaurants, but we like it quiet and it is surrounded by nice upmarket waterfront homes on a canal system. This in our view makes it the safest marina in Brisbane if a tropical storm should ever hit, which is almost impossible.

Fortunately, the prices there also very reasonable since it is not well known that the entrance channel has recently been deepened, and this was also not shown on the Navionics charts. Most cruisers would not be aware that they could get in there, but it is now at least  2m at low tide LAT, so it is easy to get your Amel in there at most times other than just an hour or two either side of absolute low tides. You can contact the Manager "Mandy" on email: info@..., or call her on and ask her if she has any free spots on D Berth facing the main channel as Island Pearl II is normally there, and am happy to keep a good eye on any Amels who berth near Island Pearl II. Unfortunately, I think there was recently only one space available, so if interested then try to contact her soon and mention me in case that helps get you in. The marina is located at 158 Griffith Road, Newport, QLD 4020... Phone: 07 3203 5855

The marina/boatyard called "Laurie's Marina" in Mooloolaba is also a reasonable option, and I am aware that they did lift an Amel 53 there a few years ago, and built a nice hardtop for it, and the owner was happy with all the work they did.

The other marina to consider is Scarborough Marina (very near Newport Marina) which has a fully working boatyard, however, their travel lift is a bit small, so I personally would not lift even my Amel 53 there. Contact them on +61 7 3880 0300 - website www.scarbmarina.com.au.

In terms of having Copper Coat work done I would firstly trust the "BOATWORKS" boatyard on the Gold Coast the most. That is where I always haul out Island Pearl II for normal antifouling paint and prop shaft / Bowthruster servicing, but I do the servicing myself and use them for the paint job. It is without any doubt the best boatyard we have come across anywhere in the world and has all the expertise and parts you could need right there. Prices are not bad too. You can contact them on admin@the boatworks.com.au or phone +61 7 55 000 000 and speak to the manager about who has the best copper coat application experience in his yard. If you have an Autoprop, there is the Australian Autoprop agent right there too who recently replaced my autoprop bearings there and did a great job.

Finally, Teuns, check with Boatworks about long term out of water storage for your Amel too. I have been away from Australia for 3 years now but recently heard that Boatworks now have this service too. That could be a good option for you too.

Best of luck with it and safe travels over to Australia

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Bundaberg Port Marina

Now that we have completed our circumnavigation, Island Pearl II is finally really for sale. Contact me direct via email for prices. She is Australian Duty and GST Paid and UK registered.

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

karkauai

Congratulations on your circumnavigation, Colin and Lauren!  We aren’t quite that ambitious, but we are starting our 5 to 10 year cruising plan through the Caribbean, South Pacific, and Mediterranean. I think we will probably ship the boat from Australia to Turkey.  How has being at shore felt, after all that time at sea?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Oct 24, 2019, at 8:36 AM, islandpearl2_sm2k332 <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Kent

Thank you very much. I fully understand your reasons for stopping and shipping from Australia to Turkey. I met many in the Pacific who had similar plans.

We are glad we completed the circumnavigation, but I would not do it again. Next, we may buy a smaller boat, perhaps a Santarin in the Med and tour there for a season or two then sell it again rather than the long ocean passages. So no need for the wonderful ocean crossing capability of our lovely SM anymore. That said, our favorite oceans were certainly the Indian and the Pacific so you would miss out on some nice places in the Indian Ocean such as Rodrigues, Reunion, Chagos, Maldives, Madagascar etc.

Best of luck with it all Kent. I was hoping to catch up with you on our way around as it was so nice to meet so many Amel folk as we circumnavigated.  Perhaps look us up in Brisbane when you reach Australia.

Kind regards
Colin

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 11:03 PM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Patrick McAneny

Colin, I want to add our congratulations on your achievement ,no small thing. It was nice to meet you and Lauren albeit briefly in St Pierre .
Pat& Diane,
SV Shenanigans
Sassafras River Md.

[...]

Hi Lauren & Colin,

Deeply appreciate your Email and I am already sending an Email to Mandy at this (early) moment. 😊

I will be sending you an Email with several other questions in reference to my AUSTRALIA stay.

How did your new sails work out?

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

October 25, 2019 05:22:35

[...]

Dean Gillies

Hi Tuen,
Let me know if you are coming to Sydney and we can have a meet-up. I considered buying your boat in 2017!
cheers
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

Teun BAAS

Hi Dean,

Sydney – very possible but not before I have done maintenance & back in the water next year.

Would really like meeting and discussing our boats 😊.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

October 25, 2019 14:35:13