Topics

Yanmar Diesel Won't Stay Running

Mark Garver

It's been several months since my wife and I left our boat up in the Chesapeake and upon arrival today to have it hauled for a long over due cleaning. The Yanmar diesel fired right up, but then after a couple of minutes dies. Wait a couple of minutes and it fires right up again, runs for a couple of minutes and shuts off. It runs smoothly and fires up instantly so it doesn't sound like she's starving for fuel or air. The engine only has 30 hours and has be very reliable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
S/V It's Good
SM #105

Mark McGovern

Mark,

Older diesel engines need three things to keep on running:

1.  Fuel
2.  Air
3.  Compression

The overwhelming majority of the time an issue like you describe will be fuelling related.  Have you checked and changed all of the fuel filters?  That is where I would start

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Mark Garver <mgarver@...>

Thanks Mark. I'm going to check the fuel filters next. It's strange that it sounds just fine, no rough running then stops. The engine is pretty much brand new, so at least I know its not the compression. I will check the fuel and air.

Mark
S/V It's Good
SM #105

On October 24, 2019 at 9:03 AM, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Mark,

Older diesel engines need three things to keep on running:

1.  Fuel
2.  Air
3.  Compression

The overwhelming majority of the time an issue like you describe will be fuelling related.  Have you checked and changed all of the fuel filters?  That is where I would start

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Courtney Gorman

check the impeller in the water pump

It's been several months since my wife and I left our boat up in the Chesapeake and upon arrival today to have it hauled for a long over due cleaning. The Yanmar diesel fired right up, but then after a couple of minutes dies. Wait a couple of minutes and it fires right up again, runs for a couple of minutes and shuts off. It runs smoothly and fires up instantly so it doesn't sound like she's starving for fuel or air. The engine only has 30 hours and has be very reliable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
S/V It's Good
SM #105

Mark McGovern

You could have some water in the diesel tank.  The fact that the boat has been sitting idle for a few months has given plenty of time for condensation to form inside the tank and settle to the bottom of the tank.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Mark Erdos

Mark,

You have a fuel problem. Do you have a filtration system that allows you to check for water?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

It's been several months since my wife and I left our boat up in the Chesapeake and upon arrival today to have it hauled for a long over due cleaning. The Yanmar diesel fired right up, but then after a couple of minutes dies. Wait a couple of minutes and it fires right up again, runs for a couple of minutes and shuts off. It runs smoothly and fires up instantly so it doesn't sound like she's starving for fuel or air. The engine only has 30 hours and has be very reliable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

S/V It's Good

SM #105

Mark Garver <mgarver@...>

Mark,

Unfortunately not. But I think I can put a hose in the bottom of the tank and pump some out to see. At least that is the current plan as well as ensuring the filter is clean.

Thanks,

Mark
S/V It's Good
SM #105

http://www.creampuff.us

It's been several months since my wife and I left our boat up in the Chesapeake and upon arrival today to have it hauled for a long over due cleaning. The Yanmar diesel fired right up, but then after a couple of minutes dies. Wait a couple of minutes and it fires right up again, runs for a couple of minutes and shuts off. It runs smoothly and fires up instantly so it doesn't sound like she's starving for fuel or air. The engine only has 30 hours and has be very reliable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

S/V It's Good

SM #105

John Clark

My first thought is also fuel supply.  One time we started our engine with the fuel shut off valve closed...she ran perfect then just quit.  I can see the engine pulling a vacuum on the fuel line stalling ...then as the vacuum leaks off being able to restart.

Now my second thought is based on you saying it was a new engine.   Does the engine have any automatic shutdown features like the genset?  Recall the genset has a host of conditions that will cause the machine to shutdown.  Just owndering if the new engine presumably with a computer is doing something on it's own.

John
SV Annie SM37
Brunswick GA

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 11:58 AM Mark Garver via Groups.Io <mgarver=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thomas Peacock

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 07:37 AM, Mark Garver wrote:
It's been several months since my wife and I left our boat up in the Chesapeake and upon arrival today to have it hauled for a long over due cleaning. The Yanmar diesel fired right up, but then after a couple of minutes dies. Wait a couple of minutes and it fires right up again, runs for a couple of minutes and shuts off. It runs smoothly and fires up instantly so it doesn't sound like she's starving for fuel or air. The engine only has 30 hours and has be very reliable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
S/V It's Good
SM #105

Thomas Peacock

I would second what John said. Having had problems with the Onan impellers for several months, the engine would countless times run for several minutes and then shut down due to overheating. I would question, since this is a new engine, whether it has some sort of shut-down procedure when it detects a fault, overheating, pressure, etc. How much electronics does the engine have?
But, I'm not diesel guru.

Tom Peacock
SM #240 Aletes

Mark Garver <mgarver@...>

The mechanic at the marina asked the same question about the auto-shutdown feature, so he's investigating that. I am about to pump some fuel from the bottom of the tank to check for water. I will also check for a vacuum on the fuel line, that's a good idea.

Thanks!

Mark
S/V It's Good
SM #105

On October 24, 2019 at 12:58 PM, John Clark <john.biohead@...> wrote:

[...]

I should have asked this question in my first post but what model Yanmar engine is it?  If its newer one with electronically controlled fuel injection via an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) than my first response is invalid as it was referring to older (all mechanical) diesel engines.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Mark Erdos

Mark,

Sorry not on the boat right now but I seem to remember on the Yanmar the fuel filter has a drain on the bottom. You could sample your diesel from there and put it into a glass container. Let it sit and look for separation.

[...]

I have been following this thread. While I agree that it is a fuel issue, don't forget about the normally closed electromagnetic fuel cutoff valve. Maybe you have a poor connection with the off button, relay, or cutoff valve.

Good luck.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019, 5:22 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

typo: should have been "normally open electromagnetic valve"

--

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 5:39 PM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Chad & Leslie Shoaf

Had this happen with a clogged vet line. Wasps and other things build nest in them. Creates a vacuum in the fuel tank.

Chad

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019, 8:37 AM Mark Garver via Groups.Io <mgarver=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
It's been several months since my wife and I left our boat up in the Chesapeake and upon arrival today to have it hauled for a long over due cleaning. The Yanmar diesel fired right up, but then after a couple of minutes dies. Wait a couple of minutes and it fires right up again, runs for a couple of minutes and shuts off. It runs smoothly and fires up instantly so it doesn't sound like she's starving for fuel or air. The engine only has 30 hours and has be very reliable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
S/V It's Good
SM #105

Mark Garver

And the winner goes to vacuum in the line. Bled the lines and averting is purring like a 80 HP Diesel.

Thanks all!!! I’m still going to check the vent lines we have a lot of wasps around. some of the ARC1500 boats are up here! All Beneteau’s so far!

Thanks again all!

Mark
S/V It’s Good
SM #105

On Oct 24, 2019, at 8:30 PM, Chad & Leslie Shoaf <crshoaf21@...> wrote:

[...]

eric freedman

Coming across the Atlantic we had the same problem. I decided it was a problem with something blocking the tank. I took off the

Hose leading to the tank and put it into the bell of the ships horn. When I heard bubbling I stopped.

When I got to the USA, I drained the tank. Behind the fuel valve Amel mounted a screen. On Kimberlite you need a very thin wrench to remove the valve, it used to be called a tappet wrench.

My tank inspection ports were sealed with blue silicone.

Pieces of the blue silicone were blocking fuel flow,  I flushed the tank and ran it through a filter to get out the blue stuff. Permatex recommends Moto Seal for replacing the tank gaskets. It is used on motorcycle gear boxes and is meant to be easily disassembled to change the gears om Motos for different tracks.

This is very unique and if all else fails possibly this is the problem, however I think it is something much simpler.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376