Topics

Volvo D3 - 110 Exhaust Elbow needed

If one of you has a Volvo D3-110 exhaust elbow, I could use it.

As you probably know HDI Marine the manufacturer of Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbows is a Preferred Vendor of Yacht School

I just received an email from HDI asking if I could locate a D3-110 elbow for them to use to make a mold which will allow them to produce a Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbow for the D3-110. If you have an old one in any condition, it will work.

Let me know.

Bill

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

JEFFREY KRAUS

Bill, are you looking for the exhaust elbow coming off the turbo?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

If one of you has a Volvo D3-110 exhaust elbow, I could use it.

As you probably know HDI Marine the manufacturer of Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbows is a Preferred Vendor of Yacht School

I just received an email from HDI asking if I could locate a D3-110 elbow for them to use to make a mold which will allow them to produce a Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbow for the D3-110. If you have an old one in any condition, it will work.

Let me know.

Bill

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

Yes

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019, 12:29 PM JEFFREY KRAUS <jmkraus@...> wrote:
Bill, are you looking for the exhaust elbow coming off the turbo?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

If one of you has a Volvo D3-110 exhaust elbow, I could use it.

As you probably know HDI Marine the manufacturer of Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbows is a Preferred Vendor of Yacht School

I just received an email from HDI asking if I could locate a D3-110 elbow for them to use to make a mold which will allow them to produce a Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbow for the D3-110. If you have an old one in any condition, it will work.

Let me know.

Bill

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

JEFFREY KRAUS

I got it. I replied mine. I'll bring it back with me and send it to you monday

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

Bill, are you looking for the exhaust elbow coming off the turbo?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

If one of you has a Volvo D3-110 exhaust elbow, I could use it.

As you probably know HDI Marine the manufacturer of Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbows is a Preferred Vendor of Yacht School

I just received an email from HDI asking if I could locate a D3-110 elbow for them to use to make a mold which will allow them to produce a Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbow for the D3-110. If you have an old one in any condition, it will work.

Let me know.

Bill

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

Jeffery,

Great!

HDI will use it to make a mold, then make an investment cast stainless steel elbow for the D3. For those of you that don't know what we are discussing, many marine engines including Yanmar and Volvo have either a cast iron or welded stainless steel exhaust elbow. These almost always fail, and seem to fail at an inconvenient time. I had my Yanmar welded stainless steel elbow fail in Thailand. The Yanmar OEM part cost me Yanmar list price of $500 plus $500 duty. HDI sells an investment cast stainless steel elbow for less than $300.

HDI is a Preferred Vendor of Amel Yacht Owners School. Many Amel owners have added HDI exhaust elbows to their engines. I did. As far as I know, everyone is satisfied and all are very happy with the product and price. I assume that HDI will have the D3-110 part available in 4-6 weeks. The contact information I have is:
HDI Marine Ltd
www.hdimarine.net
Hailey Wilkerson, Director of Marketing

--

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 1:21 PM JEFFREY KRAUS <jmkraus@...> wrote:
I got it. I replied mine. I'll bring it back with me and send it to you monday

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

Bill, are you looking for the exhaust elbow coming off the turbo?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

If one of you has a Volvo D3-110 exhaust elbow, I could use it.

As you probably know HDI Marine the manufacturer of Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbows is a Preferred Vendor of Yacht School

I just received an email from HDI asking if I could locate a D3-110 elbow for them to use to make a mold which will allow them to produce a Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbow for the D3-110. If you have an old one in any condition, it will work.

Let me know.

Bill

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

Arno Luijten

Hi Bill,

I would like to buy one for our VP D3-110i-C. Do you know if they also make one for the Onan 11kW genset? I think that one is (even) more subject to corrosion.

Regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Teun BAAS

Hi Bill,

Are these SS elbows the same for all VOLVO D3 110 – like I now have the “H” version of the D3?

Do they also make one for the ONAN generator model I have on board?

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

October 28, 2019 05:51:21

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

[...]

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

[...]

Teun,

Yes and maybe.

It is probably going to be 4-6 weeks before HDI begins production of the D3 elbow.

I asked them to consider the Onan. The 7.5 and 11kw Onans have the same elbow.

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019, 1:51 PM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

[...]

Great - I am not in a hurry as engine was installed 17 months ago and I assume (hope) the original is still good: was going to get as spare. Same for Onan: we replaced with a new one at same time as new VOLVO installed.

Thanks for setting this up.

On the same note I had a new AMEL supplied 3 way raw water manifold which in my case attached to the plastic elbow coming from the raw water chest. As you know the original one on board when I got the boat broke off when we tried to replace the hoses; ordered new from AMEL and installed Q2 2018 and was still corroding. In VANUATU I decided not to take the risk as originally I was going via THE BANKS into SOLOMONS and I had it replaced by an all plastic (I call it plastic but it is similar material as the OEM water chest). So far so good but it is clearly an interim solution. It was suggested to me to see if the whole raw water chest including the 3 way manifold could be manufactured from non corrosive material. Looking at an AMEL 50 video (YouTube SAILING AQUARIUS) I saw that AMEL is now having raw water manifold where the generator; engine; water maker etc. each have there own individual valve. Great idea.

Brgds Teun

On Oct 28, 2019, at 07:03, CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Bill,

I may be interested in both. I have a D3-110i-C and MDKBN 11kva, and will be in Grenada next couple of months. I should be able to check them both out in November when we haul out.

I have cleaned up the genset elbow before, have not looked at the Volvo. Is this straightforward to remove?

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Bill, are you looking for the exhaust elbow coming off the turbo?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

If one of you has a Volvo D3-110 exhaust elbow, I could use it.

As you probably know HDI Marine the manufacturer of Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbows is a Preferred Vendor of Yacht School

I just received an email from HDI asking if I could locate a D3-110 elbow for them to use to make a mold which will allow them to produce a Stainless Steel Investment Cast elbow for the D3-110. If you have an old one in any condition, it will work.

Let me know.

Bill

--

CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Scott SV Tengah

I'd be interested in buying one.

Somewhat related but has anyone replaced the rubber hoses on their D3-110? Ours is around 2250 hours now and 12 years old. I presume the previous owner did not replace them. They look decent but failure will likely happen so I am considering pre-emptive replacement.

I could just order from a marina-based Volvo dealer but I am hoping there's a cheaper source?

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Paul,

I have never done the job of removing the D3 elbow, but have removed various other brands and models; and all were straightforward, except, when replacing use a new gasket. I have removed the Onan elbow which is straightforward.

--

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 4:31 AM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

[...]

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hi,

I replaced all Raw water hoses at 1600h or 10 years. When they dried they breaked like glas.

I did not change rubber hoses on engine.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54#39
Gibraltar

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

Randall

That sounds like an overly complicated task, please tell me and the world you documented your task, and did you replace with plastic tube or use an alternative tubing.
Plastic has always had that turn to glass problem.
The love affair with plastic is waning.
Randall,
A-54 #56