Topics

24v alternator pulley

ngtnewington Newington

I am still not completely happy with the 24v 175A alternator installation on Amelia.
There is belt dust that is annoying, and they do not last very long.

I have checked the alignment and it is pretty good.

The alternator is nearly new.

I have a smart regulator that ramps up the load gradually.

The two idler pulley are not perfect. So I will have them machined down say 0.5mm and new bearings and check they are true. Maybe this is the problem?

The faces of the grooved pulleys are smooth.

So far the best belt in terms of longevity is the Mitsubishi Set Free SPB 1320LW.

Belt tension; I do not have a gauge and do it by feel. Perhaps it is time to buy the tension gauge?

What I am beginning to think is that I should change from twin v pulleys to a Serpentine grooved pulley with a single wide belt. I
could use the existing idlers and the tensioner. Change the PTO pulley and the alternator pulley.

Has anyone done this?

Or does anyone have any thoughts.

Nick
S/Y Amelia anchored in the south of Peloponnisos
AML 54-019

michael winand

I have a new engine and 24v alternator with the belt. Still new so far am pleased with the set up.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 6:27 pm, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io
<ngtnewington@...> wrote:
[...]

James Alton

Nick,

High output alternators and their pulleys can run pretty hot even when properly set up which seems to be a big factor in the dust problem and the early failure. With twin belts it is of course critical that the two belts be a perfectly matched set so that they share the load equally so try to buy belts from the same batch and don’t mix if at all possible. I had a customer with a twin belt setup with a 200 amp large case alternator that was going through belts in a relatively short period and what a mess the engine room was. I switched him to the Gates Fleetrunner belts used for long haul truckers and the belt dressing was greatly reduced and the failures pretty much stopped. Marine Pro liked the belts enough to begin putting them on customers engines too when possible. Might be worth giving them a try though unfortunately I have sometimes had problems finding the exact size that I needed.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueno, Maramu #220
Now high and dry in Preveza

On Oct 25, 2019, at 4:27 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Alan Leslie

Hello Nick,

We have the Leece Neville alternator with a smart reg on Elyse ...twin belt pulley...and no dust...and the belts are fine after years.
Previous experience with this leads me to believe that the pulley is the problem.
You don't need much of an imperfection in the pulley groove to lead to belt destruction.
The belt should be sitting in the pulley groove, not bottoming out and the faces of the pulley groove must be absolutely devoid of any corrosion or dirt, anything.
Ours has worked perfectly for the last 6 years ....and the big advantage of this setup is that the 2 belts on the LN 175A alternator are the same size as the belt on the small alt that charges the start battery.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Nick,

Apparently Amel wasn't happy with the install of the 175 amp alternator on the first 54s either. They later changed the alternator to a 110 amp Mastervolt. If possible, you should look at a later model 54.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St