Topics

Infos about Break in the Main Mast Furler

Alexander Hofmann

Hi Amel 54 friends,
my main mast furler did block due to corrosion inside, after 8 years of operation. The rubber sealing ring above was broken, and there has been no drain hole in the lower part. Funny. Both Topics are resolved with a new furler (NOT lowcost) from AMEL. I try to repair the old one to have a spare furler onboard.
The break inside the furler in the lower section is strongly corroded and needs repair or replacement.
I am sure that I am not the first and not the last who has had or will have this problem.
My question: Does anybody has information and experience about the mechanical parts, the electrical connection, or even where the mechanical parts of this break could be found for purchase?
Thanks for your help!!!
Alexander
SY Oceanica I. Amel 54#156 from 2010

Porter McRoberts

Alexander
I and others have had the same issue. The motor is a common one, Leroy Somers as I recall, commonly used in winches so it can be found. Ours was so badly coroded to the housingthat we just ended up getting a new one from Amel. It’s such an important piece that we felt it worth it. The key is to keep an eye on that seal!  And perhaps cover it when in storage to guard against uv degradation.
Getting it in and out of the mast can be a bit of a head scratcher, but it does go.

Best of luck.
Porter
S/V IBIS A54-152
Opua, NZ