Topics

prop suddenly turning

Miles

Dear Amelians,
I am heading for Bermuda and then Marinique..  I just noticed that the propeller shaft was turning when I was sailing and the throttle handle was flat forward as Amel said to dol.  I have no shaft break and an AutoProp propeller.  My boat is SM 216.  I have owned it from new.  There is a placard attached to the boat in front of the shift lever.  The placard says, quite strongly, to always have the shift  in forward when sailing and I have always done this.  Just now, I noticed that the shaft was rotating slowly with the gear in forward and the boat going about 5 knots. It was slow and I could stop it with my foot.  Does this mean that the clutches in the transmission were slipping and wearing?   I don't understand how the shaft can turn when it is in gear and the engine is stopped.
I tried putting it in reverse and the shaft stopped.  Doing this means passing through neutral to start the motor.  In neutral, the prop spins fast in reverse and putting the transmission in forward causes a big jerk on the transmission clutches.
I don't know what to do and I would be grateful for advice.
 Regards,
MIles,
S/Y Ladybug, sm216  350 miles NW of Bermuda.

Gerhard Mueller

I don't know which gearbox your Amel has. But my Sharki has the Hurth HBW20 gearbox and the placard says, quite strongly, to NEVER have the shift in forward when sailing and the engine is stopped!
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Ryan Meador

Our boat has a little placard next to the shifter which reads "Sous voiles, moteur arrêté. NE JAMAIS LAISSER LE LEVIER EMBRAYE dans la POSITION QUI NE STOPPE PAS franchement l'hélice." (crazy capitalization in original)  Which I translate to "Under sail, motor stopped.  NEVER LEAVE THE SHIFT LEVER in a POSITION WHICH DOES NOT STOP the propeller ."  If I take a slightly looser translation, "Under sail without motor: never leave the shift lever in a position which allows the propeller to spin freely."

So it doesn't actually tell you which position to put it in, just that you should make it stop.  It doesn't even tell you to make it stop spinning, but I think that's implied.  I've noticed on mine that it will slowly spin if put in forward, so I always leave it in reverse.  I believe the original owner of our boat did the same.  But the text does say something about the free spinning of the propeller (I think; "franchement" doesn't seem to have a direct translation to English in this context. Google Translate just drops it from the sentence entirely) so it's possible that slowly rotating is fine.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 11:33 AM Gerhard Mueller via Groups.Io <carcode=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
I don't know which gearbox your Amel has. But my Sharki has the Hurth HBW20 gearbox and the placard says, quite strongly, to NEVER have the shift in forward when sailing and the engine is stopped!
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60
Currently Kalamata, Greece

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He Mlles
I think it is possible the Prop is a little dirty and he is not in the right position?
Maybe you trey to give him a push in the back position . When you are lucky he gos in the forward position in the right position and stop to turn
Best Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Franchement = properly

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

[...]

Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He all
I think the forward rotation by sail is no problem by the SM because a lot of SM have a alternator on the c drive . When he is working the prop works forward to push the alternator

Elja SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Ian Park

Santorin prop alternator operates with gear lever in neutral.
Same notice as others, do not put gear on forward when sailing.

On 27 Oct 2019, at 17:06, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <@Balu> wrote:

He all
I think the forward rotation by sail is no problem by the SM because a lot of SM have a alternator on the c drive . When he is working the prop works forward to push the alternator

Elja SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Miles.

I speak from experience with the Hurth/ZF non hydraulic gear box. The insructions that came with my new Volvo D2 75 on a helm station decal is to have the gear either in neutral (spinning freely) or reverse, never forward.HOWEVER, the purpose when in gear is to stop the prop rotating at all. The slow spin you are seeing will be wearing your plates. Put it in the gear that stops the prop dead. I have a wierd experience. Sometimes that is forward gear  sometimes reverse. What I do is lift the engine compartment lid when I stop the motor and am sailing with the gear in neutral. Prop spinning merrily. I put it into gear. If there is a satisfying clunk and the prop stops dead. Thats the gear I leave it in. If it slows without the clunk  I put it in the other. I have no idea why, but it has worked like that for years.  I know the slow spin is damaging. There is no rhyme nor reason to this.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 28 October 2019 at 04:05 Miles <milesbid@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Erdos

Hi Miles,

We have the same sign on Cream Puff. There was a conversation previously
about which gear to leave the vessel in when underway and Oliver confirmed
Amels are fitted with varying setups and some are to be in forward and some
reverse.

I do know it is not good to have the prop spin while in gear underway with
the engine stopped. I have only one thought. Is the prop clean and able to
fold. If the prop is not feathering, this would add pressure to turn. Let's
hope it is this simple.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275
Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama
www.creampuff.us

Miles

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately it is not so simple.  The prop was just rebuilt by Autoprop before this trip.  I don’t know if it was turning before the rebuild.  It was not turning a few years back and I have not looked at the shaft when sailing since then.   Once in Martinique, I will ask Amel.  My concern is what to do before then.

Regards,

Miles

S/Y Ladybug, sm216 on route to Martinique