D3-110 oil blow-by

Scott SV Tengah

Hi all,

My Volvo D3-110 is exhibiting what I think is blow by. Oil migrates up the return hose and slowly collects in the air filter. In the attached photo, I am pointing to the hose where oil migrates.

I have read some articles that indicate that blow by indicates worn rings (only 2250 hours!) but also might be due to a failed/clogged crankcase breather or just because the tolerances are loose when the engine is cold, so there's inevitably some blowby.

It's not a lot of oil, perhaps a tablespoon per 100 hours or so, but it's annoying in that it starts leaking out of the air filter housing, across the hoses and down to the engine room floor.

Should I be worried?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Arno Luijten

Hi Scott,

A clogged crankcase breather is a very real cause and relatively easy to check. Having oil leaking out the air filter is a sure sign you will need to do something.
One question, did you check the turbo for oil leaking. Given the quality of the base D3 block, I have a hard time to believe the piston rings will be the problem unless the engine has had a very bad first life.
Leaking oil seals in turbo compressors are not uncommon.

Cheers,
Arno
SV Luna,
A54-121

Scott SV Tengah

Arno,

When I remove the oil filter, it seems the oil is coming from the hose that I'm pointing at in the photo. There is some oil on the intake vanes of the turbo, but I presume that's from oil being sucked into the turbo. I presume a leaky turbo oil seal would manifest itself as oil leaking from the turbo itself rather than oil accumulating upstream, with respect to airflow, of the turbo?

The buildup/leakage is definitely from the bottom of the air filter housing.

FYI I max out at around 2750-2800 rpm.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Scott,

The Volvo spec for D3 minimum compression is 22 BAR. I believe I would have the compression checked. If any cylinder is significantly below 22 BAR, you likely have some blow-by. Also, locate and check the Turbo Boost Sensor (it varies in different models of the D3). If it gets soaked with oil, you will have RPM issues, and possibly more problems. If it has been soaked in oil, replace it.

Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Porter McRoberts

Scott.
I am sorry to say this was the first symptom of my failed rings and block.
It was actually the second block I’d had in the boat. Which lead to the third which also failed and then to a completely new H series Volvo D3. Which has been perfect (500hrs).

Those red betas are amazing engines. And if it had been on my dime I’d have bought one. Volvo ended up paying for our new H D3.

Boost pressure sensor failing due to oil?  That’s the death rattle.

I hope I am wrong Scott.

Best of luck.

Porter
A54-152. IBIS
OPUA, NZ

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com

On Oct 29, 2019, at 2:33 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[...]

<20191018_095413.jpg>
<20191018_095420.jpg>

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

Maybe it fits in here most.

I am asking all with Volvo D3-110 motor in Amel 54.

I like to get some basic values about this motors.

What is the max rpm when under way?

What is the max vessel speed?

What is average fuel consumption?

What is the turbo pressure at certain rpm?

What is the usual temperature at 1500 rpm?

How many hours motor age.

Have ther been extensive repairs in the past?

If anybody has other motor health relevant questions please add.

I like to get some values from other owners. I think with some observations we might gather a base that will help.

Oliver
Vela Nautica
A54#39

Gibraltar

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019, 14:33 Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Scott. I had that with my new VOLVO D2-75. It was leaking seals in the turbo. After months of argument with a dealer, by referring to the importer I had the turbo replaced under warranty. Problem solved

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 29 October 2019 at 03:03 Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Hi Scott,

A clogged crankcase breather is a very real cause and relatively easy to check. Having oil leaking out the air filter is a sure sign you will need to do something.
One question, did you check the turbo for oil leaking. Given the quality of the base D3 block, I have a hard time to believe the piston rings will be the problem unless the engine has had a very bad first life.
Leaking oil seals in turbo compressors are not uncommon.

Cheers,
Arno
SV Luna,
A54-121