Topics

B&G Halcyon (GSC) Gyro-Stabilized Compass

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

Wolfgang Weber

Hi Bill,
I think a compass is also necessery.  The part is only the interface.
Thank you very much Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162

OK, thanks...I was just trying to pass on what appeared to be a good deal

--

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 4:42 PM Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,
I think a compass is also necessery.  The part is only the interface.
Thank you very much Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

I use the Raymarine fluxgate compass from Autopilot over NMEA 0183 to get magnetic heading and calculating true wind. There might be a delay, not sure, in my NMEA 2 K setup by reading this compass?

Where is the fluxgate hidden in A54?
 Is there also a B&G halcyon?

I got A54#39.

Regards
Oliver
A54#39
Vela Nautica
Gibraltar

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019, 00:12 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
OK, thanks...I was just trying to pass on what appeared to be a good deal

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 4:42 PM Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,
I think a compass is also necessery.  The part is only the interface.
Thank you very much Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello Wolfgang,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019, 22:42 Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,
I think a compass is also necessery.  The part is only the interface.
Thank you very much Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162

Wolfgang Weber

Hello Oliver,
In the moment I am not on the boat, but I think I only have the compass which belongs to the Furuno Autopilot, which is in the Bb Forwardcabin in the bilge. My boat is now in Fort Lauderdale and will be shipped to Gibraltar (hopefully) the next week. So I should be there end of November.
All the best to the group   Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hi Wolfgang,

I think I got also only the fluxgate from Raymarine. I will look for it in the forward cabin.

I could not find any other compass or wires for it when I remouved the hydra system 2 weeks ago. It was no more working and we replaced it by a NMEA2000 system. New windvane and tridata sounder with sonic speed integrated.

Maybe I need to add a faster Nmea 2k compass if the fluxgate updates slow. For now I did not reasise any delay

Regards Oliver
A54#39
Vela Nautica
Gibraltar

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 11:09 Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Oliver,
In the moment I am not on the boat, but I think I only have the compass which belongs to the Furuno Autopilot, which is in the Bb Forwardcabin in the bilge. My boat is now in Fort Lauderdale and will be shipped to Gibraltar (hopefully) the next week. So I should be there end of November.
All the best to the group   Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162

Oliver,

Early 54s had Raymarine autopilots and a fluxgate compass. The fluxgate was located on the port side near the forward port side corner of the dining table sectional seating.

Later 54s had Furuno AutoPilots and had a Furuno electronic compass located on the Starboard side just forward of the saloon water tight bulkhead. The strange thing that I discovered is that B&G will not read the HDG of a Raymarine Fluxgate Compass from the NMEA OUT on the Raymarine processor, but the B&G will read HDG from the NMEA OUT of the Furuno compass. I have always believed that "fluxgate" is a Raymarine Trademark for an electronic compass.

--

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:47 PM Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:
[...]

Brent Cameron

Bill, a fluxgate isn’t a proprietary Raymarine term.  It is a relatively simple device consisting of iron cores surrounded by primary and secondary copper windings.  It is used to determine the magnetic fields of the earth.  They need to be level against the horizon to work and the old ones are usually gimbal stabilized or mounted in some sort of dampening fluid like a compass or use may even use electronic dampening so that it doesn’t swing with the boat yawing, pitching and rolling.  Newer models are often combined with gyro compasses which use the principle of a top spinning maintaining its orientation in space despite the world turning around it.  The fluxgate provides a stable long term reference to the magnetic field while the gyro provides short term dynamic stability and allows dampening of any external forces on it.  The challenge is that this takes a fair bit of energy to keep that gyroscope spinning and of course advances occur.  Now even newer units combine all this by using 3-axis fluxgates with the horizon vector being determined by a line perpendicular to gravity all done inside a small chip in silicon.  You likely have one in your pocket with your iPhone.

Brent Cameron, Future Amel owner & Amel Owner's Registry Moderator

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Yes Brent. For the reasons you enumerate the right place for the flux gate compass is low down and central as possible.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 01 November 2019 at 15:35 Brent Cameron <brentcameron61@...> wrote:

[...]

I used the NMEA 0183 out at the Raymarine Autopilot to read Mag HDG heading by Actisense NGW-1 (actually I build my own but does the same, only better software).
The actisense bridge sends the mag HDG into my NMEA2000 bus and all connected devices use it for their calculations.

For now I did not realise any delays in the calculations based on HDG. That might be caused by my DIY Actisense bridge, because it has a very fast CPU, taking in consideration that the NMEA 0183 is relative slow.

Oliver from
Vela Nautica
A54#39
Gibraltar