Topics

Main furler

Paul Osterberg

Hello! have dismantle the main furling gear to service with new seals and bearings and now I wonder how to get the bearing of the main shaft, se picture, Is it possible to take of the bearing without of the gear wheel?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Mark McGovern

Paul,

I used a bearing puller:

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Paul Osterberg

Mark
interesting, I thought I had a bearing puller, I bought one on Amazon but It miss one part. I have to see if I can find the missing part else might be possible to manufacture. Obviously one do like in your picture.
Paul

Mark McGovern

Paul,

People use the term "Pulley Puller" and "Bearing Puller" interchangeably.  They are similar tools and sometimes either one can be used to do the same job but in this case you really need a Bearing Puller to get into the narrow gap between the bearing and the gear in order to be able to pull the bearing off the shaft.

See the picture below of my 3 Jaw Pulley Puller next to my Bearing Puller:

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara