Topics

Prop antifouling

Thomas Kleman

Looking for advice- I'm doing a bottom job in 6 weeks. Last year I used Propspeed on my Autoprop and 6 months later there was no evidence of it.....the barnacles however were flourishing. While I enjoy diving I like it better without a scraper in my hand.  Given the cost of Propspeed, 6 months is unacceptable. Would love to know if there's something better out there.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama

Matt Salatino

I tried PropSpeed 3 separate times. (They certainly are proud of that stuff!)
I had the same results as you. Very unsatisfactory. I tried everything, and finally found a decent solution.
image1.jpeg
I use the spray. About $35 US for a can.
I use the whole can on my underwater metal, usually 3 or 4 coats on the prop. I burnish the fully dried paint with a heavy duty scotch brite pad, to expose the zinc (not on the edges, but the flats of the blades).
In an entire season, not a single barnacle or growth of any kind on the prop. And the paint stayed adhered to my stainless prop. I don’t burnish the other underwater metals, and do have some growth on them, so the burnishing is important. I spray the prop once a year.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 31, 2019, at 7:14 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Looking for advice- I'm doing a bottom job in 6 weeks. Last year I used Propspeed on my Autoprop and 6 months later there was no evidence of it.....the barnacles however were flourishing. While I enjoy diving I like it better without a scraper in my hand.  Given the cost of Propspeed, 6 months is unacceptable. Would love to know if there's something better out there.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama

James Cromie

Has anyone tried simply rubbing marine grease on the prop every 2 - 3 months?  I have been told that this works well for periods up to about 3 months.  Haven’t tried it myself yet…

James
SV Soteria, preparing to sail Aruba to Cartagena

On Oct 31, 2019, at 8:39 PM, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

[...]

Wade Shikoski

Rustoleum cold galvanize spray over the proper 2 part epoxy primer. Has a lot of zinc
10$ plus primer

Mark Erdos

I second the Pettit spray below. This is bar far the best solution I have found for the prop.

Unfortunately, I also fell victim to the claims of Propspeed and completely wasted a couple of hundred dollars in Grenada. It barely lasted 3 months.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

[...]

I used PropSpeed with mixed results.

But, while in Turkey I met an American catamaran cruising couple, who loved it. He and his wife had used PropSpeed 6 or 7 times with success.
  • He said that PropSpeed was only as good as the installation.
  • He would not allow anyone else to install it...only he and his wife installed it as a team.
  • He said that preparation and following the instructions were very important.
  • He also said that the top coating HAD to be applied so fast after the base coat that it required two people.
  • He insisted that IT WAS NOT FAST ENOUGH even if you applied the base coat, then immediately applied the top coat. He said a normal prop required two people working as a team: One appling the final base coat with the other immediately behind the first applying the top coat.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 10:26 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

Proper application is also the key to successful CopperCoat antifouling.
I tried PropSpeed, 3 times. Applied it myself. Followed the directions to the letter. Maybe the directions are wrong, as they don’t say you need to apply the top coat while the primer is still wet.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Nov 2, 2019, at 12:41 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

<image001.jpg>

[...]

The Propspeed instructions actually say 3-5 minutes between coats. And sounds like nobody on this forum has used Propspeed successfully (themselves). Think I'm going to give the Pettit treatment a try this time.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

We used propspeed on our previous yahct that had a stainless steel rudder and bronze prop. It was a total success and each time after hauling out having done the prop 18 months previous, it was like the propspeed had only been applied the previous day.

Ross and Donna
SM2K #356

On Saturday, November 2, 2019, 7:21 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

The Propspeed instructions actually say 3-5 minutes between coats. And sounds like nobody on this forum has used Propspeed successfully (themselves). Think I'm going to give the Pettit treatment a try this time.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422

Alan Leslie

I have used Propspeed on Elyse and on my previous boat with great success.
The only time it didn't work well was when I left the boat in the water for 4 months in Fiji and the prop grew oysters!
It seems to me it certainly works better if the boat is moving.
We haul out this month for antifoul, C-drive, bow thruster etc and will use Propspeed again.

Someone mentioned grease.....many years ago, BP - Before Propspeed, we used to clean the prop, sand it until it shone, heat it up with a heat gun and then paint lanolin grease onto it. That seemed to work OK, would last a few months, nothing like as good as Propspeed.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Mohammad Shirloo

We’ve also used prop speed for the past 5 years in the Med and have always had good results.

I do also believe the level of success is highly dependent on the application. I had done a fair amount of research and had discussed process with the applicators. I would only allow applicators that were very familiar with the method of application, to do the work.

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo
323-633-2222 Cell
310-454-3148 Fax

On Nov 2, 2019, at 9:41 AM, CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Ross and Donna,

Given your boats name did you have it done in New Zealand? I have had it done professionally in Opua, Auckland and Tauranga. Same result in each case, after six months, hello barnacles.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 03 November 2019 at 09:49 " Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via Groups.Io" <southernadventurer@...> wrote:

We used propspeed on our previous yahct that had a stainless steel rudder and bronze prop. It was a total success and each time after hauling out having done the prop 18 months previous, it was like the propspeed had only been applied the previous day.

Ross and Donna
SM2K #356
INTREPID KIWI

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, November 2, 2019, 7:21 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

The Propspeed instructions actually say 3-5 minutes between coats. And sounds like nobody on this forum has used Propspeed successfully (themselves). Think I'm going to give the Pettit treatment a try this time.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Danny,

Initially we had it done professionally, in various marinas around Auckland, over 15 years. We started putting it on our selves when propspeed put it on the market for general consumer. We found it to be the only product to stick to the stainless steel rudder and it always performed well on the prop. Honestly after 18 months you would swear it had only been done. We always ensured the prep was done properly.

Regards

Ross and Donna

On Sunday, November 3, 2019, 4:22 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ross and Donna. Looks like I need to do it myself cause the pros charge and isnt working.

Regards

Danny

On 03 November 2019 at 22:02 " Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via Groups.Io" <southernadventurer@...> wrote:

[...]

JOHN HAYES

That is my experience too ie I do it myself. I follow the instructions carefully and it outlasts ablative antifouling

Best

John