Topics

160l/hr Water-maker hp pump

ngtnewington Newington

I have a small oil leak on the Desalateur Cat HP Pump.
I am wondering if others have found this issue and possible solutions.
I have not yet taken it out and had a good look. I am hesitant to take it all apart without rebuild kit.
Any thoughts?
Nick
Amelia sailing to Koiladhia, Greece.
AML 54-019

Will Stout <tango708@...>

Hi Nick,
I had the same issue after leaving Martinique for the state last year.  The CAT pumps are built in the USA and are rebuildable, however I was not able to find a dealer in the USA to rebuild mine.  After purchasing a new pump ($1,300) I learned that's almost every carwash in America has that pump and the folks who service carwashes will rebuild them for you.  BTW, they rebuild them in Martinique regularly. Mine failed after testing the high pressure switch, which was working just fine but of course ran the pressure up beyond normal operating pressure.

I notice that you are in Greece but I would still check with a local automated carwash about service.

Good Luck,

Will Stout,
Anni Bea True, SM180
For Sale in Annapolis

Porter McRoberts

This is really interesting news re the car wash. Pretty cool. Thank you!

Porter McRoberts
A54-152. S/V IBIS
Opua.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com

On Nov 2, 2019, at 7:36 AM, Will Stout via Groups.Io <tango708@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Will.
I reckon that the leak is from one of the oil seals on the crankcase. The pump works fine and has only 608 hours on it.
However if I go to the trouble of taking it out then it should get a full service at the same time; new low and high pressure seals and valve check.
This is something that I could do myself so long as I have the parts...
I am hauling out on Monday; not sure I will find anyone here. Looks to me like either
1. I send it to a repair shop in Athens. Anyone know one?
2. I take it in my bag to the UK and either service it myself or have it serviced.
3. Leave it on the boat and source the service kit in the UK and service it myself in the spring.

Nick
S/Y Amelia anchored off boatyard Kailadhia Greece
AML 54-019

On 1 Nov 2019, at 20:36, Will Stout via Groups.Io <tango708@...> wrote:

Hi Nick,
I had the same issue after leaving Martinique for the state last year.  The CAT pumps are built in the USA and are rebuildable, however I was not able to find a dealer in the USA to rebuild mine.  After purchasing a new pump ($1,300) I learned that's almost every carwash in America has that pump and the folks who service carwashes will rebuild them for you.  BTW, they rebuild them in Martinique regularly. Mine failed after testing the high pressure switch, which was working just fine but of course ran the pressure up beyond normal operating pressure.

I notice that you are in Greece but I would still check with a local automated carwash about service.

Good Luck,

Will Stout,
Anni Bea True, SM180
For Sale in Annapolis

karkauai

I rebuilt the 20 year old high pressure pump on my 24V D60 a few years ago with parts I got through Dessalator guy in Maine (Mark Fruehoff-Balcen Marine Technical Setvices-(207) 522-6737-info@...).  The parts cost ~$750US.  It wasn’t hard to do and has worked fine since.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Nov 2, 2019, at 12:13 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. I am waiting on an estimate from a UK outfit        cat pumps.co.uk for them to supply the kit and to do the job.
I have watched a couple of YouTube videos. It looks reasonably simple given a good working environment and a methodical approach.
Nick
Amelia 54-019 Greece