Topics

Drain plug for C-drive and Spurs

Mark Pitt

Hi all,

I have some confusion about sealing the C-drive drain plug used with the Spurs linecutter.  I re-installed the plug with an O-ring and a Dowty washer (the metal washer with a rubber insert) but it is too loosely fitted when the V lines up and I do not think I can tighten it further to get the V correctly oriented.  I then found the photo below on my PC that shows an second o-ring and a sealing washer.  I also have a photo posted by someone else without these two.  Plus Nikimat does not show these. Which is correct? I have attached both photos below.

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM419, Rhode Island, USA

Mark,

I have seen that 2nd O ring photo before. I do not remember where I saw it, but I think it is wrong. I took a photo of the V Plug/Bolt from Amel right after I unwrapped it. Here it is:
image.png
There were a total of 3 pieces. V Plug/Bolt, O ring, and metal washer.

I believe that Amel once told me that sometimes you have to use 2 metal washers, especially if reusing a metal washer which has been compressed.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 1:28 PM Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have some confusion about sealing the C-drive drain plug used with the Spurs linecutter.  I re-installed the plug with an O-ring and a Dowty washer (the metal washer with a rubber insert) but it is too loosely fitted when the V lines up and I do not think I can tighten it further to get the V correctly oriented.  I then found the photo below on my PC that shows an second o-ring and a sealing washer.  I also have a photo posted by someone else without these two.  Plus Nikimat does not show these. Which is correct? I have attached both photos below.

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM419, Rhode Island, USA

Mark McGovern

Mark,

The first picture is correct.  The second is not.

Olivier Beaute chimed in on this topic towards the end this thread:
https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/topic/33139860#47902

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Mark Pitt

Thanks Mark and Bill.  I will add a second Dowty seal and some oil-resistant silicone sealant.

On Nov 1, 2019, at 3:05 PM, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Mark,

The first picture is correct.  The second is not.

Olivier Beaute chimed in on this topic towards the end this thread:
https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/topic/33139860#47902

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Does anyone know the thread size of the drain plug?

I'd like to use a short nipple with a hose on it to drain the oil into a proper container rather than a makeshift funnel or whatever that always gets messy. I'm using 90 weight oil so there's enough time after you remove the plug to screw in the nipple before the oil starts flowing.

Thanks,
Craig

Mark McGovern

Craig,

I'm 99% sure it's M20 x 2.5 thread pitch.
--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

99% works for me - thanks, Mark.