Topics

Victron Quattro charger/inverter installation

James Cromie

Hello Super Maramu or A-54 owners -
(and particularly Scott Tengah)

I am going to install a Victron 24V 5000W Quattro Charger/Inverter in my Super Maramu.
As this has an internal automatic transfer switch, I am trying to figure out how to wire this unit to bypass the original Amel transfer switch.

In any case, I would greatly appreciate any advice / input on how others have installed this unit in their Amel.  Any photos or schematics would be extremely helpful.

Many Thanks,
James
SV Soteria
SM2K 347
Cartagena, Club Nautico (in the sweltering heat and humidity)

Porter McRoberts

James. I’ve done this.its a bit of a pain but I rewired  the panel.  One side for inverter power, the other side for shore/generator power. Keeps it logical and simple with out the possibility of recurrent loops.

Porter.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com

On Nov 8, 2019, at 4:36 AM, James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie@...> wrote:

Hello Super Maramu or A-54 owners -
(and particularly Scott Tengah)

I am going to install a Victron 24V 5000W Quattro Charger/Inverter in my Super Maramu.
As this has an internal automatic transfer switch, I am trying to figure out how to wire this unit to bypass the original Amel transfer switch.

In any case, I would greatly appreciate any advice / input on how others have installed this unit in their Amel.  Any photos or schematics would be extremely helpful.

Many Thanks,
James
SV Soteria
SM2K 347
Cartagena, Club Nautico (in the sweltering heat and humidity)

James Cromie

Thanks Porter.  What do you mean by “one side” for each one?
-James

On Nov 7, 2019, at 6:22 PM, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

[...]

On the 230/50 panel. Port side is for items supplied by the quay/mains or generator. The starbord side is wired to the inverter. The chargers/ dive compressor,  AC, washer etc is still on the port side.
Porter
Ibis A54-152

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com

On Nov 8, 2019, at 2:36 PM, James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie@...> wrote:

[...]

got it.  thanks.
-James

On Nov 7, 2019, at 9:05 PM, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

[...]

James,

I don't think that you want to bypass the generator/shore power switch for your 220 panel, certainly not for the entire panel.

Like the 54, the SM 220 main panel has 2 buses. breakers attach to the buses. The 54 main panel is similar, but different than the SM main panel. The SM buses are independent and wired to the main 220 block inside the panel. I believe what you can do is leave the generator/shore power switch in place and wire one Main Panel bus to the generator/shore power feed, which is after the generator/shore power switch in the engine room, and wire the other bus to the output of the inverter. The difficulty will probably be moving some breakers from one bus to another to get the desired results. With 5000 watts, you will probably want washer, microwave, outlets, possibly 1 AC and possibly something else on one side. I think that you'll have to move a minimum of 2+2 breakers. You might want to make a new plexiglass face, but, at the least, you will need to relabel some breakers. I think it may also be possible to cut a bus in half, but not sure. Some 54's and 55's were made with split buses where some 220 panel breakers were automatically powered by the inverter.

I may know more in a few days. If so will come back to you.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:16 PM James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347

James,
You may already know but  the inverter on your boat was after market Xantrex 110 volt with its own galley receptacles.  It was wired differently from units installed by Amel so be cautious at the panel.

Ben Driver
SM347
La Bella Vita (former)

On Nov 8, 2019, at 4:32 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

rossirossix4

Edited

Hi James,
You may want to consider a 3 position high capacity rotary switch.  This is what we did when we added an inverter.  Our inverter had an internal transfer switch which we did not use.  Easiest to explain by looking at photos first.   https://photos.app.goo.gl/xoac3UQCHckm7TPN8    It is pretty straight forward although it may sound a bit complicated here.  We knew what we wanted but we used a knowledgeable electrician at Manoel Island Yacht Yard (one of the best yards in Europe, IMHO) to make sure that everything was safe and correct. Where it enters the "220V white box" above the sink, we disconnected the wire that comes from the Amel automatic transfer switch--this leaves the Amel auto shorepower/generator function intact.  The wire was shortened and connected to the 3 way rotary switch--1,5 9 on the table.  The inverter was wired to the batteries at the 100amp charger with an appropriately sized 24v breaker (ABYC requirement and a good idea).  The 220V output then goes to an RCD as soon as it exits the inverter (this our electrician insisted upon even though there is an RCD at the "white box".  (RCD provides shock safety for 220V European much like GFIs in the US but by measuring current return discrepancies vs ground fault).  Then the inverter output goes to the rotary switch--3,7,11 on the rotary switch wiring table.  This gives total electrical isolation between the gen/shorepower and the inverter.  Whether you choose to switch the ground as well can be discussed with your electrician--switching the ground allows total isolation, while keeping it continuous is usually code (to guard against ground failure).  The corresponding outputs (2,6,10) and (4,8,12) go to the "white box" via 2-3 conductor wires OR, as we did by 1 wire after shunting 2-4;6-8;10-12 with a single 3 conductor exit wire to the white box.

Advantages of the 3 way rotary switch, in our opinion and experience are: 1)complete isolation between gen/shorepower and inverter  2)total disconection when switching between between sources--NO connection as you pass through 0 position, and zero connections if you place the switch in the center position--which we do before starting the generator or plugging to shore power  3)simplicity of operation 4)allows you to use devices--which we do--such as inverter powering the water heater OR washing machine.  We heat water when we have excess solar and can do clothes washing with the inverter (specially handy when motoring without robbing your battery bank--you can even do a 30 minute express wash while you de-anchor and exit an anchorage or enter an anchorage and complete anchoring) 5)controls--generator, inverter, and selector switch can be located together. 6)safety features with 24V breaker and RCD and high (63amp) capacity of switch and wire used.  Despite its capacity it is reasonably sized and selector does not look out of place.

In our case the watermaker may not be operated as it exceeds our inverter capacity and we don't run the hotwater heater and the washing machine together, or say a hair dryer and microwave.  In the future, with lithium batteries we may swap out for a larger inverter.  If capacity is exceeded  either the inverter and the 24V breaker that feeds it will shut down.

Switch is relatively inexpensive and made for this type of application https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Rotary-Changeover-Switch-SZW26-63-660V-63A-3-Position-Phase/233337561113?epid=1056139592&hash=item365400a019:g:DXEAAOSwAfVdxE4X
also Amazon or search for SZW26 63 660V 63A  .  Priced so that you can carry a spare.  Blue Sea makes a similar version that does not require output shunting but is significantly more expensive https://www.bluesea.com/products/9019/AC_Rotary_Switch_-_OFF_%2B_2_Positions_240V_AC_65A

The only complication we encountered was extending the length of the selector stem to go through the plywood--the guys at Manoel did not want to risk high temps by welding and used a tube and JB weld or similar as I recall.  Don't forget to cover the back of the rotary switch--even though it is up and out of the way like the generator switch and behind a baffle.

Again pics are at https://photos.app.goo.gl/xoac3UQCHckm7TPN8  one of the photos show both 24V breaker (waterproof) and RCD box (probably could have been more compact, I think it was for a double)

Let us know if you have questions.

Bob and Suzanne, SM 429 KAIMI

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello James,

On our YouTube channel we posted a Video how we installed our Victron Charger Inverter 5000W

Go to:

S V Vela Nautica

On YouTube there is also more information how we switched to lithium batteries. We use it now for over a year.

Oliver from
Vela Nautica
54#39
Lanzarote

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019, 02:36 James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Scott SV Tengah

Apologies for the late response - we were doing the Chesapeake-Caribbean passage. Now here in Marigot Bay with two other 54s! It was getting a bit too cold on the US East Coast!

I can explain what was done conceptually but 220v frightens me, so I had the electrician do the actual wiring.

The Amel transfer switch is bypassed completely. The wires from the shore power plug go into AC2 while the wires from the genset go to AC1. Victron specifically states that you should have your genset have priority if both power sources exist. I’m not really sure why, but given that I see no harm in their way of doing it and moreover, I will be playing with the Quattro’s programmable relays, I abided by their recommendation.

From Quattro Manual: "In a Quattro the AC1 input has always priority over the AC2 input. A common practice is that a generator is connected to AC1 and shore power to AC2. As long as

the generator is running the Quattro’s will use the generator. "

On the output side, there are two  AC-Out outputs which go to the main panel switches. Sorry I am not sure how this is physically wired, just speaking conceptually here.These outputs are fed from either mains/genset power OR uninterrupted power (aka mains/genset/inverter). I have all but one item fed by AC-OUT-1, which is uninterrupted - runs on either shore/genset or inverter. Yes, the water heater, scuba compressor, aircon, washer/dryer, etc. are run from the inverter.

There’s AC-OUT-2 output, which is ONLY fed from shorepower/genset power and the only thing I have connected to that is my Skylla 80amp charger. This output is on, I believe, a 2 minute delay from when shore/genset power is detected.

I hope this helps somewhat.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

David Crisp

I've been reading through the various threads as I prepare to install solar and LiFePo on my Amel 54 and start ordering the components. It's tremendously helpful so thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences.

I'm just deciding between the Victron Multiplus and Quattro inverter/charger and would like to know why the majority of you appear to go for the Quattro. So far the existing Amel AC source selection system which automatically prioritises generator over shore power seems to work okay. Is it just a question of neatness or are there other reasons please?
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

I do not see the point to buy a quattro and bypass the AMEL shore power switch. If we would not have this switch it makes sense, but with an automatic switch installed?

On my boat the multi is doing fine with the original AMEL setup.

I split the AC panel, as described in my youtube video. Its no problem to move some breakers and carefully move the labels with them. One side / bus of AC pannel for inverter the other for shorepower/genset. It is also possible to split an AC bus.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54 #39
Martinique

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020, 05:52 David Crisp <david@...> wrote:
I've been reading through the various threads as I prepare to install solar and LiFePo on my Amel 54 and start ordering the components. It's tremendously helpful so thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences.

I'm just deciding between the Victron Multiplus and Quattro inverter/charger and would like to know why the majority of you appear to go for the Quattro. So far the existing Amel AC source selection system which automatically prioritises generator over shore power seems to work okay. Is it just a question of neatness or are there other reasons please?
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace
Amel 54 #58

Scott SV Tengah

I believe for most, the Multiplus may be a money saver.

For me, I wanted to be able to set different current limits for the genset and shore power.

For shore power, I set it at 16A. This works 99% of the time. If the marina has 32A supply, I can change to 32A via ve-config software if I really need the additional current. There have been a few instances where I needed to lower it to 9A or less because I'm literally plugging into someone's house/restaurant.

For genset, I have the 11kw Onan, so that's set at 50A at all times.

With the Multiplus and its one AC input, you can't set differential limits. Getting the Quattro is probably overkill, but my desire is to minimize the number of things I need to remember to manage during the boat's operation.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

James Cromie

I have installed the Quattro on our Super Maramu #347.  Indeed, the transfer switch capability of the Quattro is currently not necessary for is because of the original transfer switch.  I have the Quattro installed after the original transfer switch. However, when/if that switch fails, we now have redundancy, which I consider an important aspect of any system on our boat.

Indeed, you're paying a bit more money for the Quattro,  but when is anything on a boat ever cheap!

Best,
James
Soteria SM2k 347
Vista mar