Topics

Antal 120x18 Composite Fibre jib block

Duane Siegfri

I'm wondering if the Antal 120x18 jib blocks on Wanderer need some TLC.  If you try to spin the sheave, there is too much friction to permit it to spin.  It can be turned with thumb and forefinger with enough resistance that one must grip tightly.

I looked on the Antal site but did not find a maintenance manual.

Can anyone comment on the maintenance for this block?

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

karkauai

Hi Duane,
Mine have gotten stiff in the past, after long passages.  They were just caked with salt.  I Hi-Def them off well, then put them in warm fresh water and rinsed again...I’ve not taken them apart because that has always made them run smoothly again.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

On Nov 9, 2019, at 8:26 AM, Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io <carlylelk@...> wrote:

I'm wondering if the Antal 120x18 jib blocks on Wanderer need some TLC.  If you try to spin the sheave, there is too much friction to permit it to spin.  It can be turned with thumb and forefinger with enough resistance that one must grip tightly.

I looked on the Antal site but did not find a maintenance manual.

Can anyone comment on the maintenance for this block?

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

John Clark

Hi Duane,
   I am replacing the cars on Annie, currently awaiting shipment from EuroMarine Trading.  My original cars and sheaves were a little coarse but opening them up and cleaning them eliminated a lot of the resistance.  At least on Annie the sheaves are ball bearing supported and opening them up and cleaning them was all that was needed.

Regards,  John

SV Annie SM 37
Brunswick GA

PS: I a replacing them because one sheave sidewall(the metal part) failed while sailing in fair wind.  The stainless steal looked to have been damaged by years of flapping back and forth when the genoa flogs.  I think they were original.

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 8:26 AM Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io <carlylelk=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm wondering if the Antal 120x18 jib blocks on Wanderer need some TLC.  If you try to spin the sheave, there is too much friction to permit it to spin.  It can be turned with thumb and forefinger with enough resistance that one must grip tightly.

I looked on the Antal site but did not find a maintenance manual.

Can anyone comment on the maintenance for this block?

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

karkauai

Oops, I just noticed that my iPhone changed a word.
Correction:
I RINSED my job blocks ( the large ones that lead to the winch) in warm water.

Kent
Kristy
SM 243

View/Reply Online (#49104) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_

Joerg Esdorn

I asked Antal how to service the blocks on my boat.  They said rinsing with fresh water and a little grease.

joerg esdorn
A55 Kincsem

Arnold Mente

Hi,

I grase my cars and blocks with "Harken one Drop" it is excellent!

Arnold

SY Zephyr
SM 203

--
SY Zephyr SM203

Duane Siegfri

Thanks for the replies. I soaked and rinsed and they have improved markedly.  I plan on adding a lube as well.

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Duane, sorry for the late reply, I have been at sea voyaging. Try washing the salt out with a fresh water hose and then when its  dry, spray it with silicone. A salt build up will stop or create friction in:blocks, cars, swivels and travelers.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl