Topics

Help with 220 Volt Genset exhaust fan Super Maramu

eric freedman

Hi,

My genset fan fell of the overhead in the engine room disconnecting some wires.
the fan has 4 wires blue, brown, green/yellow, and black.
The green/yellow and the blue are still connected but the brown and the black are not.

The cable  coming from the transfer switch area has 3 wires green/yellow (still connected) blue (still connected)
However the capacitor is connected to a red wire from that cable through a fuse and it is disconnected as is the black wire..

How is the red wire with the fuse and capacitor connected to the fan and how is the black wire connected to the wiring of  the fan? The electrical drawing of the genset fan from Amel just shows a fan.

Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376 Kimberlite

Thomas Kleman

Hey Eric- just changed my blower so this is still fresh. The line ahead of the transfer box is energized by the genset running (on SM 422). The hot line goes fuse, capacitor, then fan. I'm not sure about your black wire.....if that's a 4th wire coming from your fan, we don't have one so can't help there.

As an aside, due to charger overheating, we installed Hella 24 volt fan in ceiling light block over genset, pointed at charger. Switch is by watermaker panel. It resolved my charger overheating issue where new blower had made no difference.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
L'ORIENT

Eric,

The fuse and the capacitor should be spliced in series to the load wire which should be brown. The blue wire is return (neutral). Green/yellow is earth.

I am not sure where the black wire goes, unless it is a jumper.

That fan (blower) is exactly the same fan (blower) on your Climma AC.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 10:33 AM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
Hey Eric- just changed my blower so this is still fresh. The line ahead of the transfer box is energized by the genset running (on SM 422). The hot line goes fuse, capacitor, then fan. I'm not sure about your black wire.....if that's a 4th wire coming from your fan, we don't have one so can't help there.

As an aside, due to charger overheating, we installed Hella 24 volt fan in ceiling light block over genset, pointed at charger. Switch is by watermaker panel. It resolved my charger overheating issue where new blower had made no difference.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
L'ORIENT

Eric,

I found the following photo. I had cut the original capacitor from the wiring bundle, installed a wiring junction block, and new capacitor. The reason I did this is because the capacitor controls the speed of the blower and the capacitor was out-of-spec, slowing the motor. If you look closely at the BLUE circle, you will see that the original white capacitor wires (at least 1) was spliced to a black wire.
I hope this helps you.
image.png