Topics

Down wind pole corrosion damage

Thomas Kleman

A small crack emerged from under the black cover on the inner down wind pole. I drilled out the cover's retaining rivets and saw the full damage. Visiting the local welder to discuss options. Glad I found this prior to February's Panama City to Marquesas passage.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
SV L'ORIENT

The black rubber thing you removed is the chafing shoulder where the short pole rides on the main mast rigging. My guess is that sometime during the life of your Amel and while sailing with this pole, the yellow "down guy" was too loose, broke, or the operator failed to rig it. I think a temporary repair is risky because I don't believe any of us know the "design load." The aluminum tube should probably be replaced.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 10:54 AM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
A small crack emerged from under the black cover on the inner down wind pole. I drilled out the cover's retaining rivets and saw the full damage. Visiting the local welder to discuss options. Glad I found this prior to February's Panama City to Marquesas passage.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
SV L'ORIENT

Thomas Kleman

Bill- thanks as always for your info and speculation. The rivets all over the pole are quite brittle with heads falling out so I'm concerned water ingress and corrosion played a large part. I found the damage as I was preparing to fix several broken rivets. When the welder and I do the autopsy we will know the cause.  The pole been rigged correctly the handful of times I've had occasion to use them. Not sure how long this damage has been here as it was mostly under the wear guard and thus hidden. The pole is of simple 3 part construction so no big deal.....but I might add some corrosion protection or sealant to the joint and rivet areas.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422

John Clark

Hi Thomas,
   Good catch!    I noticed Annie's short poles collect water inside.   I have toyed with the idea of drilling a small drain hole to let it drain.     Letting them stand upright in the sun for a week or so drains them but I can't always do that.  (Admittedly sometimes just lazy and leave them out...)
         John
SV Annie SM 37
Brunswick GA