Topics

Deck Repairs to Amel Mango

Ian Bone

Hello all,
I am contemplating the repair of the decks of my Amel Mango. The cracks seem to go down some way.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with repairs of this nature and what process and products they used for the job.
Any advice and insights would be gratefully received.
Ian Bone
Amel Mango Hull #63

Charles Bell

Hello Ian,

We are resurfacing the decks of Mango #29 right now.

We sanded off the loose "molded-teak" and have sealed with a 2-part high-build sealant. Then we will top with some sort of a surface treatment / non-slip.

The contractor we are using has done several boats with the same technique.

I will dig up more information about the steps and materials we are using. Feel free to reach out to me if I don't get back to you quickly enough.

Charles

Kaplan,Andre

Charles
I have a 1988 Mango and I would be very interested in your experience with resurfacing the deck. Any info you have would be appreciated
BR
Andre Kaplan
kaplan@...
Renaissance 2000
Mango 71 88

On Nov 12, 2019, at 4:53 PM, Charles Bell via Groups.Io <shipbldr2000@...> wrote:

*** Attention: This is an external email. Use caution responding, opening attachments or clicking on links. ***
Hello Ian,

We are resurfacing the decks of Mango #29 right now.

We sanded off the loose "molded-teak" and have sealed with a 2-part high-build sealant. Then we will top with some sort of a surface treatment / non-slip.

The contractor we are using has done several boats with the same technique.

I will dig up more information about the steps and materials we are using. Feel free to reach out to me if I don't get back to you quickly enough.

Charles

Arlo

Edited

We have a mango, hull # 46 from 1985 and the same cracks... i plan to use a dremmel and open it up a little, then do a standard gelcoat repair with west epoxy fairing compound and paint with awlgrip primer and paint and and see how they do....I personally love the teak deck look so I dont plan to remove it. I have seen  Davids mango hull number 44, I believe where the PO removed the teak look and it came out looking great...so that is always a backup plan for us...