Topics

Yanmar 4jh3-hte overheat

Arnold Mente

Hi Duane,

when you install 2 of them you can also save the genset!! With this instrument the water pump belt, impeller, seawater filter and closed seacock are under control!!

Arnold
SY Zephyr
SM203

Am 20.11.2019 um 14:51 schrieb Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io <carlylelk@...>:

Hi Mark,

The overheat was solved by a new impeller.  I am going to install the exhaust hose alarm you recommended, thanks for that!

Duane

--
SY Zephyr SM203

Duane Siegfri

Hi Mark,

The overheat was solved by a new impeller.  I am going to install the exhaust hose alarm you recommended, thanks for that!

Duane

John Clark

Hi Duane,
  I had a similar experience right after I purchased Anne,  first indication of issue with the impeller was as you said a different sound. We had no overheat alarms just a much more pronounced exhaust sound.   This was with the TMD-22.     Lesson for all is to listen to your vessel...she will tell you is something isn't right.

                            John
SV Annie SM 37
Brunswick GA

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 8:58 AM Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io <carlylelk=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
We had an overheat condition on our engine (Yanmar 4JH3-HTE) and the alarm light or buzzer did not sound.  I checked the parts manual and the temperature sensor is a 100 oC sensor.  I noticed the gauge was over 80 but close to 100 oC and quickly anchored and shut down the engine.

My concern is that the gauge read close to 100 oC and now I'm concerned about the sensor.  The lights and buzzer on the panel test ok.  Is there a way to test the sensor?

Just for background, the boat had been hauled out in Grenada for three months.  When we put the boat back in the water the engine sounded not quite normal and so I was watching the gauges closely.  It turned out that the impeller had shed all of the vanes!  I had checked the water in the exhaust when we first started up and it appeared normal so the impeller must have died after that.  Luckily the vanes were all in the hose between the water pump to the turbocharger cooler.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Mark Erdos

Duane,

I am a little confused (normal for me). Is the engine fixed? Did you resolve the overheat issue or are you still experiencing hot temperatures at higher RPMs?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

[...]

after experience in dirty harbors with running the aircon and full sea water filter, overheating of engine friend ones SM I decide to install the attached instrument. It get installed after water injection in the exhaust and acts much faster then the engine temp control. The temperature of the exhaust increasing much faster then the engine himself. With this you can control the sea water filter and the impeller!!!

Best

Arnold
SY Zephyr
SM 203

Anleitung

Am 12.11.2019 um 15:29 schrieb Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io <carlylelk@...>:

Bill,

I'll check the transmission cooler, good advice.  That wasn't the primary cause though, as I noted, the engine seawater pump had shed all of its vanes.

Duane

--
SY Zephyr SM203

Mark McGovern

Duane,

Generally, temp sensors work off of resistance with high resistance when cold and much lower resistance as the medium gets hotter.  You can use a cup of room temperature water and boiling water and measure the resistance across the wires of the sensor and see if there is any difference.  However, you would need the actual specifications on the Yanmar temperature sending unit to test it definitively and make sure it is working properly.  I suppose you could buy a new sensor, test it the same way and compare the results to the old sensor.  If the results are similar you could assume that the old sensor is working properly.

A few Amel owners have taken to installing a secondary separate Exhaust Temperature sensor and alarm.  You can read about it here:  https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/message/17290?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,muffler+melt,20,2,0,29759579

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Duane Siegfri

Bill,

I'll check the transmission cooler, good advice.  That wasn't the primary cause though, as I noted, the engine seawater pump had shed all of its vanes.

Duane

Check the sea chest side of the transmission oil cooler. This should be cleaned every 2 years. Small pieces of debris that get past the sea chest strainer will block water from flowing through this cooler to the engine. Overheating happens because water flow is restricted at higher rpm.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St