Topics

Lashing the helm on a Super Maramu

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi everyone,

Our 1990 SM23 seems to have no obvious way of securing the helm. I'm curious what others do to lock or lash the helm in a given position - for heaving-to, lying at anchor, sailing to windward, etc.

My options at the moment are securing to the fresh water filler, using the autopilot, or installing some other hardware to do the job. Is it possible the boat wasn't designed with the intention of ever locking the helm? Has anyone else had this issue on their Amel and come up with a good solution?

Thanks,
Mike & Hannah
SV Trilogy, SM23
Tonga

rossirossix4

Hi Mike and Hannah,
Don't know if this is helpful, but the photos in this link show what Amel provided on some SMs (it is on the original invoice for our SM 429). I am away from our boat re: dimensions, etc.--maybe someone else has one.   Don't know if Maud has these but would be an easy bolt on,  Amel reversed the leather on the device for gripping and it is very tight and tenacious and may prevent the travel that could add to teeth wear.  You can see the design and construction is classic "Amelian" Click on image for larger view  https://www.dropbox.com/sc/jag81gnnw41e8o5/AABXwWbF5T2N5l52d9lQt5GRa

BTW we were at a fuel dock in Italy, stern to stern with a good sized power boat.  Guy departed, evidently at near full throttle and violently slammed our (hearty) rudder to the stop--add that to the never ending procedure list we boaters have!

Cheers, Bob and Suzanne KAIMI

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Bob and Suzanne,
That item looks perfect for the job. Thanks for sharing. I will see if any are still available from Amel. Hopefully no issues with your rudder slam, always something keeping us on our toes!

Cheers,
Mike & Hannah
SV Trilogy, SM23

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019, 12:43 PM rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...> wrote:
[...]

Edited

Yes it is a really nice piece of gear and allows you to clamp the helm firmly and quickly in any position and easily re-position anywhere except exactly over the 3 spokes.  In 15 years of use (8 by us) there is not a mark on the leather of the helm from its use and yes, we have used it in heaving to.  Not sure why Amel could not whip up some more units....seems like there could be lots of takers--and not just Super Maramus.

I became curious and checked my pdf records--on the invoice it is "Systeme blocage barre a roue" which translates to "steering wheel lock system".  In our rarefied sense of costs it was "0.2 BOAT Units" (BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand)  https://photos.app.goo.gl/vcenCvZ9e7wBq6iN9
No problem at all from the fuel dock incident but I do think about it every time we dock or get fuel.
Bob
KAIMI SM429